Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally made it to the range yesterday afternoon with the gun and 300 rounds of different ammunition. If you haven't been watching the weather, it is extremely hot and dry here in south central Texas. Yesterday was no exception. The thermometer at the range showed 102 and 78% humidity. Yuck..so I really was hoping the gun would make my day worthwhile. I started out with 50 rounds each of: Winchester White Box FMJ, Federal FMJ, Mag Tec FMJ, American Eagle FMJ and Winchester SXZ. The last box was my favorite carry ammo Federal 230gr. HydraShok. I shot all groups from a bench, using sandbags as a rest fore and aft. This is not how I usually test my ammo but I wanted some real tests of the guns capability. Most ammo averaged 4"-5" groups with flyers from time to time. I had three failure to extract and one failure to return to battery using the Winchester SXZ, but no problems with the other loads. I cleaned the dirty gun and relubed it before the last group. Lastly I decided to get off the bench for the last 50 and shoot the gun like I would in a home defense situation. The target tells the story. The HydraShoks did as I expected and shot the best of the bunch. In the first 50, I had to make some sight adjustment to the rear sight which was about 3/32" off center. That brought the point of impact to within 1/2" of bullseye. I am happy wih the result, so much that I went by a gun store in the area to pick up some bullets for reloading and in the case they had a Streamlight TLR-2. I mounted it on the rail and did a little haggling over the price until I was happy, and it now has a new permanent home there. I palyed around with it and I have the laser dialed in at 12 yards to point of impact. The light is by far the brightest of any weaponlight I have ever seen. I am a happy camper and now have a new home defense gun, that is going to the range very often.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I am a happy camper and now have a new home defense gun, that is going to the range very often.
That's what we like to hear! Congrats on the new gun, it looks great with the light.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
I call that a pretty safe home, good shooting.

Nice pistol. :hand10:

·
Registered
321 Posts
I just bought the same pistol last month , have close to a thousand rounds through it with no problems .
I could not be happier.
They are great pistols , enjoy!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Nice shooting Tex. (I've always wanted to say that). Seriously I really like that gun!! My last purchase was between the Taurus 1911 and the Taurus PT845. I went with the 845 and have no regrets, it to is a fine weapon. It took me forever to make up my mind though. Love that 1911.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Congrats, I have seen several Taurus 1911's and have read mixed reviews, this is encouraging, thanks for giving som details...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts