Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my new S&W no-lock 442 to the range yesterday.

It went.. 'ok'

I was shooting some WWB +p's - I really like the grip on the 442 and was able to place my shots quite well considering the gun's weight and power coming out of the +p ammo.

The only problem, which I'm looking into is that I had 7 rounds that were light primer strikes. 7 rounds out of 50. The ammo I believe was fairly old, so I'm planning on going back to the range and getting some new ammo to put through it to see whether it's the gun or what.

I have faith in S&W, and so if it's the gun I'll just call up S&W and have her shipped back. Just not exactly what you want to have to deal with, especially when this'll be my BUG and I specifically got a revolver so I wouldn't have to worry about the gun going off each time I pull the trigger. I'll keep you updated, and will get pics once I get my camera up and running.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
442's are great snubbies... More than likely it's the WWB ammo... I'd try some carry ammo and I'll bet it'll do just fine...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
442's are great snubbies... More than likely it's the WWB ammo... I'd try some carry ammo and I'll bet it'll do just fine...
My thoughts exactly.. plus I gave it a good clean with my new Gunzilla gun cleaner after the range last night, so should be more lubed/cleaned/ready go compared to dry and straight from the factory.

Any input on some good ammo to put through it?

For carry I was thinking about Hornady's Critical Defense, but guessing that is a bit pricey to consistently shoot down range.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Right now I've got Corbon DPXs for my 442, good round but it's probably even more expensive than Critical Defense. I either go with DPX or GD SB depending on what I can find, but both of those are not cheap so I'll shoot a handful of those on the range and the rest is WWB.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right now I've got Corbon DPXs for my 442, good round but it's probably even more expensive than Critical Defense. I either go with DPX or GD SB depending on what I can find, but both of those are not cheap so I'll shoot a handful of those on the range and the rest is WWB.
Ever get any light primer strikes with WWB?

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
Are you sure they were light primer strikes? I can't remember if Winchester is a hard or soft primer. I have never loaded with Winchester primers but have used plenty of Winchester factory ammo without a problem.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you sure they were light primer strikes? I can't remember if Winchester is a hard or soft primer. I have never loaded with Winchester primers but have used plenty of Winchester factory ammo without a problem.
Pretty sure.. here's how it'd happen.

I'd load up with 5 new rounds, and in firing them all one out of five would fail to fire. Upon inspection there was a small dimple in the primer but not as much as compared to all the other rounds that had been fired.

This is the first time I've seen this, no other gun I've shot has ever had this happen so I'm assuming that's what happened. Upon firing the round again, it'd go off.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
I've got a S&W 442 and have run plenty of cheap rounds and some old rounds through it with no problem. I typically carry Hornady or Magtech rounds. Try a box of new Hornady rounds to see if the issue continues. Also try marking the cylinder chamber in which the misfire occurs to see if it is consistently happening on the same one (piece of small tape on the outside of the cylinder). That is valuable information which can help S&W diagnose if the issue is with the gun and how the rounds are seating. Be careful with handling a misfire.

·
Super Moderator
19,869 Posts
I have faith in S&W, and so if it's the gun I'll just call up S&W and have her shipped back.
It could be a minor burr causing the hammer to drag a bit, or perhaps the hammer spring is defective.

Given the extortionary cost of shipping a gun across the country, I'd talk to the shop where you got the gun (assuming you got it new), or ask a local gunsmith to look it over. Your shop might ship it back for the sake of good customer relations, or the smith might charge you about the same as the shipping cost (could be $50 or more) and you'd have the gun back a lot sooner.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
S&W wouldn't cover shipping? Hrm, yeah good idea BugDude.. will take some tape or maybe just some soap to the range tomorrow to mark the cylinder to see if it's a specific one.

·
Registered
896 Posts
It could be a minor burr causing the hammer to drag a bit, or perhaps the hammer spring is defective.

Given the extortionary cost of shipping a gun across the country, I'd talk to the shop where you got the gun (assuming you got it new), or ask a local gunsmith to look it over. Your shop might ship it back for the sake of good customer relations, or the smith might charge you about the same as the shipping cost (could be $50 or more) and you'd have the gun back a lot sooner.
Huh? I have only had to ship a firearm back to S&W a couple of times, and the shipping was prepaid by S&W each time. I have never heard of anyone paying shipping back to S&W for a gun that was under warranty.

Maybe you are confusing S&W with a company like Taurus.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Huh? I have only had to ship a firearm back to S&W a couple of times, and the shipping was prepaid by S&W each time. I have never heard of anyone paying shipping back to S&W for a gun that was under warranty.
Call S&W - they will send you out a prepaid shipping label. Also, considering that S&W provides lifetime warranties now for new guns, it will be the same process 20 yrs from now too. :congrats:

·
Super Moderator
19,869 Posts

Maybe you are confusing S&W with a company like Taurus.
Consider me duly educated. I've had to pay the outbound shipping to both Ruger and Taurus for factory repairs, but - never bought a new S+W handgun. Info mentally filed for future use.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Are you sure it's a new 442? Could someone have clipped the mainspring to get a lighter trigger pull?
I like Federal 158 SWCHP +P in my 642. Not too expensive, good penetration, hits POA and low muzzle flash. Kicks a bit though.
Good luck.:hand10:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Same problem with my 442!

Just had the same problem with my 442, tried all types of ammo too. S&w sent shipping lable, repaired the gun in less than two weeks. Hope to shoot it in about 10 days when I get home from working. Hope it performs well.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update!

Update:

Took it to the range today and bought some Independence and American Eagle 130 grain FMJ.

I should note prior to going to the range I had given the gun a very good cleaning, just assuming that due to the failure to fire's the gun was clogged up a bit with all the factory lube/etc and from sitting relatively dry in its box waiting for me to buy it! For this I used Gunzilla, which performed awesome I must say.

Anyways, onto the important part. I should call it the Redemption! The gun performed flawlessy, and ate through 25 rounds of each ammo without a hiccup. Now this is what I'd always heard about this little j frame - it went bang every single time I pulled the trigger. Shot placement was the same as before.

Overall I'm very pleased with the gun, and believe that my issues were caused by simply needing that good new gun cleaning that all my guns get after getting picked up off the shelves. This time I was just too anxious to get out on the range to get it done prior.

Thinking about getting a 442 for a BUG or carry gun? I say go for it!

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
I think you have cured the problem. Probably had some gunk in one of the cylinders keeping the round from seating all the way. That would account for the light primer mark.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts