Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
19,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my SA 2 tone Champion out to run some more ammo thru it. Tried some Fiocchi and some Hydra shoks. The pistol ran smoothly, without 1 FTF,FTE. I fired at 7 yrds slow fire, then stepped back to 10 yrds rapid. I picked up 2 Chip McCormick 8 rnd mags. they works fine, even with the HP's.
the only problem I noticed was the slide dropped with a fresh mag insertion. I think either the guide rod spring is still strong, or the slide stop lever wasn't made quite sharp enough on the top edge. Will probably replace it before I carry this gun. I noticed with lube the slide seemed to drop way too easy, once I cleaned and didn't oil the slide stop , it held in place much better.
Anyway, target below was shot at from both 7 and 10 yrds. I started to open the groups a bit when I went to rapid fire and started to shake a bit while shooting. Shouldn't of had M&M's for b-fast I guess. I think the shaking was my blood sugar coming down.
I fired about 60 rnds today.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,723 Posts
Tore that paper to shreds didn't ya ..... GREAT write up on that Little gun.........they work VERY well........even with a little "tweeking"
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
25,483 Posts
Not too much wrong with that Rocky. :smile:

I actually like a mag slam to drop the slide - just me tho!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Rocky,
I also recently bought a SA Champion and I had to send it back to SA for Reaming, Polishing & Slide failure to remain open after last shot.
It would not feed HP's. It is a great shooter with similar results as you posted. The folks at SA have been helpful and it is currently in the Custom Shop for review. If you need to send it back SA will review and repair.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
19,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Optr23 said:
Rocky,
I also recently bought a SA Champion and I had to send it back to SA for Reaming, Polishing & Slide failure to remain open after last shot.
It would not feed HP's. It is a great shooter with similar results as you posted. The folks at SA have been helpful and it is currently in the Custom Shop for review. If you need to send it back SA will review and repair.
Looks like we own the exact same gun. Color and everything. I will contact SA and see if they will send me a new Slide stop lever. Don't really want to be without this gun. Everything else seems to be working well.

Tnx guys. I hate to say it, but I shoot this 1911 better than my USP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,134 Posts
i think i covered the slide stop , detent plunger issue on another post , really guys its fairly common for either the detent plunger to come loose or the back of the slide stop lever to be malformed , just put a small dimple on the back of the slide stop ( assuming the dentent plunger tube has not come unstaked and loose ) and it will stop the issues with the slidestop
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
Thanks for the report, I am hoping to purchase the SA Champion within the next month. This will be my first 1911 that has a barrel shorter than 5" and I am looking forward to getting the Champion and comparing it to the others that I've had.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,550 Posts
rocky said:
Tnx guys. I hate to say it, but I shoot this 1911 better than my USP.
:congrats: Glad to hear it. Nice shooting any one of them shot would have got-r-dun on a BG. I have noticed that it is much more enjoyable to shoot the 4-4 1/4" barreled 1911's over the 5". They seem to have less felt recoil, and be balanced better.:yup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,352 Posts
Bruces45 said:
I have noticed that it is much more enjoyable to shoot the 4-4 1/4" barreled 1911's over the 5". They seem to have less felt recoil, and be balanced better.:yup:

Huh ? I found just the oppsite i prefer the 5" over anything shorter
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,550 Posts
Bud White said:
Huh ? I found just the oppsite i prefer the 5" over anything shorter
I forgot to add YMMV to that post. In all honesty my Colt Commander XSE has less "felt" recoil than my full size SA, it also "feels" more balanced in my hand. It also shoots about 10X more better than the SA.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top