Defensive Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shot 500 rounds today in below freezing temps (into a frozen pumpkin) from my S&W 442, Ruger Police Service Six 357, Taurus PT709 Slim, Tanfoglio 22 SAO six shooter and my buddies Bersa Thunder 380, Glock 19 .40 caliber, and SCCY 9mm semi-auto.

S&W 442 - 150 rounds of standard and +P 38 special using alternate grip (left thumb over base of right thumb) and the grip mod greatly reduced felt recoil and controllability in rapid fires. Accurate, reliable, fun to shoot. +Ps a little more snappy than standards (tried full rounds of both and some mixed every other shot for comparison). A lot of muzzle flash with both. Good practice session with this little gun.

Ruger Police Service Six 357 magnum - 50 rounds of 158 grain Hornaday and 50 rounds of standard 38 special. Some full cylinders of each and some mix rounds for comparison). 357 rounds are thumpers...makes the 38 rounds feel like a 22 in this heavy gun. The pumpkin was exploding with chunks flying everywhere.

Taurus PT709 Slim 9mm - 100 rounds of various brands and types of ammo. Some 115 grain FMJ round nose and flat nose, 115 grain hollow points, and 147 grain FMJ flat nose. Flawless performance through 300 rounds now with all brands and types of ammo. Accuracy is amazing. Felt recoil is stiff, but managable for rapid fires and slow fires. The 147 grain rounds a little more snappy with a lot more muzzle flash, but still managable. I absolutely love this firearm!!!!

Glock 19 .40 caliber - 50 rounds of some hollow point rounds and some flat nosed FMJ. I had shot this gun this past summer and I thought it kicked like a mule. Today, it seemed like less kick than the Taurus 9mm. This gun was very accurate from 50' and chunks of pumpkin were flying like crazy. The recoil was very managable and this gun was comfortable to shoot. Perhaps my increased shooting of semi-autos this past year had me more prepared to the 40 than my previous experience. I was thinking of adding the G26 to my collection, but after today, I may have to go to a Glock in 40 since I already have a small 9mm and do not have a 40 or 45. The 40 round seemed to me to be a little less stout than the 357 magnum round (I'm no expert on ballistics, just going my feel, percussion, and degree of pumpkin explosion...nothing scientific).

Bersa Thunder 380 - Bersa has a great reputation and I believe they are good guns, but this particular gun has problems with what I believe are the slide lock and dropped mag trigger safety. Difficulty racking a round and having to double pull the trigger to get it to fire. Very frustrating and not trustworthy at this point, but I believe it could be easily fixed.

SCCY CPX-1 9mm semi-auto - brand new gun, out of the box never fired with new FMJ round nose rounds. Upon racking the slide, could not get the first round to chamber. Nose was up the chamber ramp and seemed like the casing was jamming. Had to lock the slide back, insert the mag, and then release the slide to rack first round. Fired two rounds (very uncomfortably) and it jammed again. Fired about 5 rounds out of the mag in between jams and got tired of messing with it. Very frustrating and not worth the $240 my buddy gave for it.

Tanfoglio 22 Single Action Only old-style 6 shooter revolver - My first gun as a kid and still fun to shoot. Still as accurate as when I shot competitively with this gun many moons ago. The old pea shooters are just a blast. The pumpkin got hit many times, but just small holes. Fun, fun, fun...got to get the 22s out more often.

I hope some of this information helps. This forum has certainly inspired my to shoot more and to practice in various ways. I am really developing a like for the Glock 40 caliber and am still very impressed with my Taurus...it was exactly what I was looking for and is working out great. I think early on, Taurus had a bad batch of extractors with this model, but it seems like the ones made recently have not had any issues. I'll keep you posted as I continue to practice and explore other firearms. Thanks for all of your valuable input and opinions...as well as your inspiration to get back into a hobby that I had been away from for a while.

·
Registered
970 Posts
It sounds like a great day shooting. I heard some of my favorites mentioned. Glad to know that if you are ever attacked by a frozen pumpkin you know your abilities. I enjoy shooting odd things as well. As a side note check that Glock I think it may be a 23 rather than a 19. Happy shooting

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I always feel better after a good day at the range also.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
ditto on the glock...19 is a 9mm compact version of the 17....

thanks for the report...hearing a lot of good things about that little taurus...its nice looking piece and i wouldnt mind having one for light carry...i dont see the need for a more expensive to shoot bersa .380 with the small 9 mm guns available now....

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
In my opinion exploding frozen pumpkin chunks are just as scientific as the sweat potato I use. Great range report. A good 22 revolver is a ton of fun.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Good work!

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're right on the Glock, it is a model 23. My buddy came over this evening to shoot pool and he corrected me. I'm not familiar with the various models yet, but I may have to have one of these join the collection. As we discussed this evening, it's hard to beat, ammo is available, and not the most expensive gun out there either.

My buddy was really impressed with the S&W 442 and the Taurus. He was shocked to see how the Taurus field stripped as fast and easy as his Glock. I've really come to like the Taurus trigger, which seemed strange to me at first and he really liked it too. It forces you to squeeze the trigger and not pull it.

It was a great day. I've got to get some more 9mm rounds (still have enough for another outing or so). If a frozen pumpkin ever tries to sneak up on me, I'm prepared to make casserole out of him.

As for defensive carry rounds in 9mm, I've been carrying 115 grain JHP. Is this suitable or should I find a higher grain JHP? I have some 147 grain FMJ rounds, but have just use them to kill pumpkins. Would they be better to carry until I find something else or is 115 grain fine? I'm more familiar with 38 and 357 rounds than 9mm. Thanks.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We live in the country...we get creative when it comes to targets outside of groundhog season. If all else fails, I shoot golf balls in my back yard. My neighbors love it! (LOL)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts