Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Per my New Member - New Pistol post of March 18th here's my report:

I finally got the chance to shoot my new Detonics USA CombatMaster today.... For those that don't remember, the CombatMaster is a 3-1/2" cone tapered barreled (no bushing), six round magazine, all stainless steel 1911 type pistol with no grip safety, which is now produced in Pendergrass Georgia. It weighs 34 ounces plus another 7 ounces for the six 230 grain rounds, magazine, and one in the tube, cocked and locked.

Well off to the range.... The Shooters Shop in West Allis, Wisconsin (southwest side of Milwaukee) has a nice seven bay, 50 foot indoor pistol range with electronic target retrieval and a great ventilation system. The range will allow shooting of calibers up to .50 S&W Magnum, including NFA weapons.

The CombatMaster comes with only one one magazine from the factory, so I had purchased two extra, after market mags, from The Gunclip Depot prior to recept of the pistol.

Back to the range.... I chose bay seven, the last bay with a solid block wall to my right, hoping to retrieve more of my brass and not mix it with that of the other shooters.

Loaded up the three magazines and proceeded with test.... First mag was the Metalform that Detonics USA does some critical operations to before they're sold. Six shots - no problems! Second mag (mfg.?) six shots - no problems. Third mag (mfg.?) six shots - slide didn't remain open after last shot. Seems the follower wasn't bent quite right. I didn't have any tools to correct this at the range so I used it as is through this first series of tests. Upon return home I rebent the angle and did a small amount of filing. It now holds the slide open when hand cycled and hopefully will work properly the next time at the range.

All together I fired 125 rounds of 230 gr. WWB and 50 rounds of 230 gr. reloads by Mannings X-Ring Reloads, that I had purchased at a gun show 10-12 years ago. Don't know the powder or primer used for the reloads only that they were in S&W cases.

Conclusion:
I have only praise for all the folks at Detonics USA for building a great pistol which shot to POA without any problems. I won't tell the size of the groups other than they all would have been in the bad guy's chest. The last time I shot any caliber gun larger then a .22 was in November of 2003 with my 8" Colt Python during deer hunting season. All said , "GREAT PISTOL". If I continue to get these good range results and Wisconsin ever passes a right to carry concealed bill, this will be my CCW............ Bob

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Good report, Bob! The CombatMasters look pretty interesting.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Excellent Bob - thx for the report.

I shot pretty much that exact same gun many years ago (approx 1984 maybe) - the first Detonics I had seen - tho I guess it may have changed a bit since. Shot very well - and I was almost hypnotized by the (then) strange barrel appearance!!!

Glad it runs well - and that mag fix sounded both effective as well as easy.

·
Administrator
143,591 Posts
Real Nice Report

I'm happy to hear that the new Detonics seems to be working as well as the older original ones.
Fine handgun.
Great Concealed Carry Firearm.
Thanks for telling us about it!

·
Registered
262 Posts
Thanks for the range report, and glad to see you got back into pistol shooting.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I read somewhere that Jerry Ahern is calling the shots at Detonics. If that is true then Kudos to them. I hope they don't get their cutomer service people from Remington though. Thanx for the excellent range report.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
packnheat ----- Prior to buying the Detonics USA CombatMaster I had sent an e-mail to Jerry Ahern to request some info. The following day I had the answers to my questions. That's very good customer service........ Bob

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
mkeBob said:
packnheat ----- I had sent an e-mail to Jerry Ahern to request some info. The following day I had the answers to my questions. That's very good customer service........ Bob
yes it is good customer service...I, on the other hand, wasn't so lucky. I sent off an email for some info on Ahern's holsters over two months ago. I have not received a response... :ticking:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
artz... You may want to send an e-mail to [email protected]. If I remember correctly they had something to do with the Ahern holster line........Bob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts