Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FYI: I'm now a certified RO thru our club & I assist on Monday nights at the indoor range. There's always 3 of us on duty, 1 being the senior RO.

CLEAVAGE.:twak::blink:

yes..... NOW that I've got your attention............CLEAVAGE.... can be a SERIOUS disadvantage on the firing line.

That was the case last night....a potentialy DANGEROUS disadvantage.

It simply amazes me the number of "newbie" women shooters - mostly girlfriends that have NEVER shot, or wifes that show-up wearing low-cut shirts. Don't get me wrong,,,, I'm all for fashionable attire..:rolleyes:......and "dressing to impress".....but its REALLY starting to become a problem from a safety standpoint, not just for the shooter herself, but for the rest of us too.

In case your still wondering.................spent HOT casings have a tendancy to drop down in open clothing & plunging necklines - resulting in the instinctive reaction to literally "dance around" w/a loaded weapon trying to get the casing out.

We've even included the "cleavage" warning into our general safety briefing at the beginning of each night and provide "example" tales of ladies that have been burned in the past, what to do with the firearm if she experiences such an event, and recommend to those women women we see that may have potential "problems"....... to cover-up.

OIt didn't take long but one such lady got by us.....ok.. ME... last night....and I when the "dancing" began....I quickly found myself staring down the barrel of a loaded Walther P22.....with her finger still on the trigger.:ahhhhh:

I didn't have a chance to say much, but I instinctively and quickly stepped into her, gently grabbing her wrist with one hand and firmly "death gripping" the top the P22 with the other, and in unison pushed her arm slightly downward & back downrange.
Once the firearm was safely "diverted" I ordered and immediate STOP FIRE command - and I got a big voice - and only then did she...my fellow RO's and the rest of the fireing line get an idea as to what happened.
She turned a shade of white, and excused herself from the line as I proceeded to clear her weapon and set it on the table.
Her husband - 2 lanes over - rushed over wondering what transpired, and I directed him towards his wife who was now standing in the lobby.....STILL trying to get casings out of her shirt and visibly upset at what she'd done.
The senior RO stepped in, and after a quick inspection and a nod from me, ordered the line to clear their weapons and proceed to check targets.
We then BOTH went and had a chat with our casing "victim" and her husband. The senior RO let me make the call - and I felt she should sit out the next few rounds to calm down, relax.......& REFLECT. And if she felt she could, COME BACK to the firing line after she put on her husband's pull over shirt (he offered up) and under close supervision by either myself or another RO continue.

After numerous apologies and promises from both herself and her husband, she eventually did.

Satisfied.....I went outside and had a few smokes.:22a:

The rest of the night was uneventful, but when we "closed up shop"....my fellow RO's and I are NOW going to provide various sized club sweatshirts w/high collars for the ladies that we feel need to "cover up" that we're going to buy ourselves and wash & clean.

Ya know.......it took a while to sink in. Call it adrenalin or what ever......but that was the 1st time I can recall that I'd ever had a loaded weapon pointed at me w/a very agitated person holding it............gotta luv forum therapy...

·
Premium Member
7,579 Posts
Yeah, that was a scary one. I'm glad it turned out alright. I'm also glad she came back to continue shooting. Yes, she messed up, but she got back on the horse.

I've had it happen to me as well. I frequently shoot at a commercial range/club and we get all kinds. The RO's are all very good but can't be everywhere at once. I tend to pack up and leave if it gets too hairy.

·
Banned
1,228 Posts
Here in FL we have the same problem with tank tops being worn almost all year long.
And I LOVE tanktops!!:haha:
But we must all make sacrifices.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
That is a scary situation. I think the clevage warning sign is a great idea, expand that to include free "inspections" :hand5:. Otherwise give them a dang revolver :comeandgetsome:.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
As a CAS shooter, I can attest to the fact that cowboys didn't wear those wide brim hats to keep the sun off. It was to keep hot brass from a top ejecting lever rifle from going down their shirt.

In your case, for temporary use by your female clients, you may want to consider something like this. Much cheaper alternative than sweatshirts.

Hoss

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Hot Brass Dance. Gotta love it. We have women in high-heeled, open sandals, too! I don't understand it.

I'm in charge of Range briefing and wrote up all the protocols for our classes. I ALWAYS tell my students that hot casings cool down fast. Me? Not so much if I have to look down the barrel of a gun. I show them what the Hot Brass Dance looks like, and then urge them NOT to do it under any circumstances.

It's a bit easier now that the weather is cooler out and they are more bundled up.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm not really sure what you're talking about.

Can you please post some photos of women wearing the types of tops that you are claiming they should not wear to the range?

That might clear things up for me.

·
Super Moderator
24,633 Posts
Proper Hyphenation

Satisfied.....I went outside and had a few smokes.
That would have made me re-start smoking.............

Glad all is OK

I'm not really sure what you're talking about.

Can you please post some photos of women wearing the types of tops that you are claiming they should not wear to the range?

Attachments

·
Registered
921 Posts
You can tell someone something until your blue in the face. Until it actually happens to them they'll keep doing it till they get bit. I'll hope this doesn't turn her against shooting and self protection.

When I was doing the shooting qualification part of my CHP a piece of .45 brass bounced off the partition and landed on the web of my right hand. It burned for just a second before falling off as I continued to shoot. My group was consistent except for one flier... must have been from the hot brass :scruntiny:

·
8,501 Posts
I think I'm in love with post #10.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
At the outdoor range I am a member of,she would have been told to leave and not come back

·
Registered
182 Posts
I would like to volunteer my services as an official hot brass in cleavage picker-outer. I work cheap.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Been there, had it happen once, and while wearing a regular crew neck tee shirt. I immediately put the gun down, had to reach up under the hem of the shirt to remove the hot brass, trapped in the band of my bra.
Just one more reason why I like my wheelguns better:yup:

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I confess my first trip to the range had a similar result. As a guy. I was shooting my .45. I wore a collared shirt. The hot brass ejected to the right, bounced off the partition, and right down my shirt. My first reaction was to reach for it with my right hand, which just happened to have a loaded, cocked .45 in it.
I just started laughing, but it could have been worse. Now, if I take people shooting, I caution them to wear a t-shirt and a hat.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
You may want to add ball caps. I had my own experience with hot brass at FLETC in June. We were allowed to fire different handguns that we normally don't carry. There were guns from several makes and models on the line and we took turns shooting them. I wear eye glasses with removable side sheilds and had hot brass lodge between my glasses and eyelid. I kept the gun downrange with one hand and tried to move my glasses enough to drop the brass. Another student instructor took the gun until I cleared the brass. Many of us had similar experiences that day. No one did the dance and all remained safe. It is difficult to remember if it is your first course or you are relatively new to shooting so in every course it should be mentioned.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts