Defensive Carry banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was range therapy day. I was testing my completed backpack/truck gun and some new magazines I picked up from a company called Lancer.

The AR is chambered in 300 Blackout, the suppressor is a Dead Air Sandman, the folding stock was from Sylvan Arms, a SIG Romeo V for a dot sight, Magpul flip ups with some off-brand light/laser combo and the magazines I ran across during some online surfing and they looked pretty good so I bought 2 20-rounders and got a 30-rounder at the range shop where I shoot today.

I went through several load/reload drills and shot 200 rounds of ammo through them both subsonic and supersonic, as well as mixing them up. No feed issues whatsoever, even when dropped in the dirt. The Lancer magazines are a sort of hybrid material with conventional steel around the feed lip area and polymer for the rest. These mags are VERY durable and well made. Time will tell if they prove as durable as the current standard, the P-Mag but I can say first impressions with these are excellent. I used 147 grain FMJ ammo that was Armscor and reloads I had made with 220 grain plated Berry bullets over 11.5 grains of CFE-BLK; all of the ammo hit where I was aiming, with zero failures. The suppressor did it‘s work as designed and did not affect accuracy at all that I could tell. My intent for this weapon is to be in a Vortex backpack ready to roll at a moments’ notice with several mags holding sub and super sonic ammo. My ammo of choice thus far is Hornady’s excellent V-Max for super sonic and their Sub-X rounds for subsonic applications.

All in all, a very good day indeed. Now I need to find another firearms related project to tinker with…….

Air gun Machine gun Trigger Gun barrel Shotgun

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Look on YouTube for “Feeding the Black Rifle.” Last I looked, it was a 3-video series on AR mags…The Good, the Bad and, the Awful. VERY interesting information from what appears to be a reputable source.
The channel is SmallArmsSolutions.
The Lancer Hybrids rated very high. The magazines fall into 1 of 3 categories of recommended use: Range, Law Enforcement and, Military.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Look on YouTube for “Feeding the Black Rifle.” Last I looked, it was a 3-video series on AR mags…The Good, the Bad and, the Awful. VERY interesting information from what appears to be a reputable source.
The channel is SmallArmsSolutions.
The Lancer Hybrids rated very high. The magazines fall into 1 of 3 categories of recommended use: Range, Law Enforcement and, Military.
Thanks for the info sir, I will look that video up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Nice rig. In my experience the Lancers are 100% good to go. Respected mags from a respected company. Load them with confidence.

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
Nice that everything hit to point of aim. Those 220's are nice. Especially suppressed. That to me would be perfect for home defense. No worries about going deaf like with a standard .223.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I have a number of Magpuls and miscallaneous GI mags, but Lancers are what I primarily use. I do have a 300 BO upper and the Lancer mags are superior to the Magpuls in running long subsonic bullets. Although thats not the main reason I have them, I just like their performance, feel, and translucent colors.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice that everything hit to point of aim. Those 220's are nice. Especially suppressed. That to me would be perfect for home defense. No worries about going deaf like with a standard .223.
Yes the subsonic loads are what I primarily will use with this weapon; my preferred load is going to be Hornady’s excellent Sub-X rounds for the primary defense loads. They may only be 190 grain bullets but they expand reliably down to 900fps, my loads are all around 1060-1080fps, the factory loadings are around 1050-1065fps so that will work for me. I’m gonna try to get hold of some ballistic clay or gel to test my reloads vs the factory loadings to see how close I can get and I’ll video the results and post them when available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: demanic

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
I have a number of Magpuls and miscallaneous GI mags, but Lancers are what I primarily use. I do have a 300 BO upper and the Lancer mags are superior to the Magpuls in running long subsonic bullets. Although thats not the main reason I have them, I just like their performance, feel, and translucent colors.
I feel a little more comfortable leaving Lancers fully loaded for long periods of time, as they seem more robust in this area than the PMags do.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I feel a little more comfortable leaving Lancers fully loaded for long periods of time, as they seem more robust in this area than the PMags do.
That seems to be the consensus amongst everyone I've talked to regarding those mags; I have left my P-Mags for my other AR-15s loaded for months at a time and have had no problems thus far, but I have to say these Lancers look more durable from the get-go.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts