Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of these you guys may have no experience with but please try to rank to the best of your knowledge. From lowest to highest quality. This will help me greatly in my quest to buy my first custom holster.

So here is my guess of lowest to highest quality. Keep in my I am a noob with holsters so this is just my guess.

Don Hume
Galco
Crossbreed
C5
Monica Kuehn
HBE
UGB
DM Bullard
Pure Kustom
Kramer
Mitch Rosen
5shot
TTgunleather
Milt Sparks
Del Fatti
Alessi

I also want to say that I don't mean to discredit any of the above holster makers. They are all high quality in my book and that is why I am considering buying one of the above.

·
Administrator
21,398 Posts
I've had / have holsters from the following out of the above list and this is how I'd rate them:

Del Fatti
Milt Sparks
5shot
HBE
UGB
TTgunleather
DM Bullard
Kramer
Galco
Don Hume

I will say that when it comes to HBE, UGB and TT Gunleather, it's really hard to place on above the other. Looking at TT's latest work, he might be climbing on the list, but based on the earlier model IWB I have from him when he was selling on eBay I'd put him at the bottom of the three for now until I order another rig from him. HBE makes a fine holster and Nate @ UBG is catching up and refining his trade as well, I think he's getting better with every holster. I've said it before, I'll say it again. For IWB I prefer the COM III from HBE and for OWB I like the UBG Regulator.

Del Fatti IS THE MASTER, I don't think anyone can refute that. The leather finish and overall appearance of his rigs are simply stunning. 5Shot is a another top notch maker, but in terms of gun fit I'd have to give the nod to Milt Sparks.

I've only had one rig from DM Bullard, but it was quite nice, good leather, excellent stitching.

Kramer rigs are tough as heck and while they're a little pricey, they'll last a lifetime and then some. While I'm not crazy about their IWBs, their belt scabbards are top notch.

Galco covers all the bases pretty well, their more expensive holsters are fantastic and well made, I love my Avenger, Royal Guard, Concealable Belt Holster, and Jackass shoulder holster.

That being said, some of their "cheap" stuff like the Stow and go and other paper thin leather products are crap. Don Hume makes a nice off the shelf product, but the leather is stiff and aren't as well made as the holsters above. The reinforced mouth bands are skimpy and I've had a lot of "bleeding" of the leather dye from a couple Hume holsters. If I had an order in with the "big names" I'd be confident in using a Galco or Hume to get me by during the wait.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had / have holsters from the following out of the above list and this is how I'd rate them:

Del Fatti
Milt Sparks
5shot
HBE
UGB
TTgunleather
DM Bullard
Kramer
Galco
Don Hume

I will say that when it comes to HBE, UGB and TT Gunleather, it's really hard to place on above the other. Looking at TT's latest work, he might be climbing on the list, but based on the earlier model IWB I have from him when he was selling on eBay I'd put him at the bottom of the three for now until I order another rig from him. HBE makes a fine holster and Nate @ UBG is catching up and refining his trade as well, I think he's getting better with every holster. I've said it before, I'll say it again. For IWB I prefer the COM III from HBE and for OWB I like the UBG Regulator.

Del Fatti IS THE MASTER, I don't think anyone can refute that. The leather finish and overall appearance of his rigs are simply stunning. 5Shot is a another top notch maker, but in terms of gun fit I'd have to give the nod to Milt Sparks.

I've only had one rig from DM Bullard, but it was quite nice, good leather, excellent stitching.

Kramer rigs are tough as heck and while they're a little pricey, they'll last a lifetime and then some. While I'm not crazy about their IWBs, their belt scabbards are top notch.

Galco covers all the bases pretty well, their more expensive holsters are fantastic and well made, I love my Avenger, Royal Guard, Concealable Belt Holster, and Jackass shoulder holster.

That being said, some of their "cheap" stuff like the Stow and go and other paper thin leather products are crap. Don Hume makes a nice off the shelf product, but the leather is stiff and aren't as well made as the holsters above. The reinforced mouth bands are skimpy and I've had a lot of "bleeding" of the leather dye from a couple Hume holsters. If I had an order in with the "big names" I'd be confident in using a Galco or Hume to get me by during the wait.
Thanks for the reply JD. You are helping put everything into perspective.

·
Administrator
144,206 Posts
Normally Alessi would be up there at the top but, that is a question mark now that Louis has passed away but (absolutely) older Alessi holsters would "rank" right up there with Sparks and Del Fatti.

Also...though fairly new to "holsters" (though not to leather work) Pure Kustom certainly has carved out a fantastic reputation for producing ultra-high quality holsters for their "always extremely satisfied" customers.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I would consider looking at Comp-Tac. I have both the c-tac and m-tac and they are great. With the Velcro connectors they are completely invisible, even with shirt tucked in, no clips show on your belt. The only way my wife knows I'm carrying is if she sees a clip across the belt, but with these she assumes I'm not carrying.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Del Fatti isn't even taking orders. He is currently working on orders taken in June of 2007. So why even consider him? I may not even have the firearm in 3 yrs.
In three years, guns may be banned, we may all be in the re-education camps, we may be learning Chinese or Arabic, or we may be firing laser powered units at the range. Things change.

But it sure is eye candy.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Don Hume is a quality holster, and very inexpensive for what you get. DeSantis is also another great holster maker. Little pricier though.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Del Fatti isn't even taking orders. He is currently working on orders taken in June of 2007. So why even consider him?
Because he does sometimes have holsters "in stock" and you can sometimes find his rigs "used" on various gun forums, including this one. If you are looking for quality leather, it would be foolish not to consider MDF.

If I were to type a list, I might as well cut & paste JD's. I agree 100%. When it comes to holsters, or at least leather gear, you tend to get what you pay for. For rough work, there are definitely tough kydex alternatives that I like and that conceal well. I am a big fan of Raven concealment. But nothing quite matches up to a beautiful leather (or exotic skin) rig.
Gonzo

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Several years ago I bought my son-in-law a pancake made by DelFatti. I then laid out two other pancakes by Sparks, and Brommeland.

My own assessment was that the Brommeland was the tops, and the DelFatti and Sparks were so close I could not make a choice. I hate to say it, but Brommeland would not be an option for me now, but he makes a superb holster.

Last year Alex Nossar made me a pancake with shark trim. He graciously gave me the trim.
Of all the holsters I have or have seen the Nossar is the best in both design and workmanship.

Looking at the top makers mentioned the choice is a case of "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder."

In my view there is no comparison between a Hume and a DelFatti. However, both will hold the gun securely, and both cost and delivery times are germane to one's choice.

I have bought a couple of holsters recently from Fist. They are of very good quality, very reasonable prices, and delivery was about 5-6 weeks. I am very satisfied with them.

My own list of the holsters I personally own would be from best to lesser. I have not seen a 5 Shot or HBE, and while I am sure they are superb I cannot rate them from personal experience.

Nossar
Brommeland - Would not buy now
DelFatti
Sparks
TT - Only have his mag pouches, but they are first tier work.
Allesi
Bluegrass - Wouldn't buy, and he may be out of business
Fist
Rosen - I only have the Express line. Premium would rate higher
Kramer
K&D
Kirkpatrick
El Paso
DeSantis
Little Bear
Hume

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Let me comment on one in your list that has not been mentioned. Monica Kuehn; I ordered an OWB for my CZ75BD and it is an excellent holster. Very nice boning and stitching. The turn around time of two weeks was great as well. Price was very reasonable. This lady is rapidly building a name for herself as a quality maker.
I will be ordering more from her.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Let me comment on one in your list that has not been mentioned. Monica Kuehn; I ordered an OWB for my CZ75BD and it is an excellent holster. Very nice boning and stitching. The turn around time of two weeks was great as well. Price was very reasonable. This lady is rapidly building a name for herself as a quality maker.
I will be ordering more from her.
The holsters on her site look great.
Do you own or have examined holsters by what most of us consider the top makers, and if so would you give us your assessment as to how Monica's holsters compare in terms of quality?
Thanks.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
73 Posts
With all these custm makers, does anyone find a significant difference in comfort and usability between designs, or are they all pretty similar in usage and it's mainly cosmetics that differ?

·
Administrator
21,398 Posts
With all these custm makers, does anyone find a significant difference in comfort and usability between designs, or are they all pretty similar in usage and it's mainly cosmetics that differ?
There can be slight differences in comfort, some are willing to provide differing degree of cant to your specific needs, others are not willing to do that level of work. It really depends on what exact models and makers we're talking about, and then you'd have to ask someone with those models their opinion.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Several years ago I bought my son-in-law a pancake made by DelFatti. I then laid out two other pancakes by Sparks, and Brommeland.

My own assessment was that the Brommeland was the tops, and the DelFatti and Sparks were so close I could not make a choice. I hate to say it, but Brommeland would not be an option for me now, but he makes a superb holster.

Last year Alex Nossar made me a pancake with shark trim. He graciously gave me the trim.
Of all the holsters I have or have seen the Nossar is the best in both design and workmanship.

Looking at the top makers mentioned the choice is a case of "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder."

In my view there is no comparison between a Hume and a DelFatti. However, both will hold the gun securely, and both cost and delivery times are germane to one's choice.

I have bought a couple of holsters recently from Fist. They are of very good quality, very reasonable prices, and delivery was about 5-6 weeks. I am very satisfied with them.

My own list of the holsters I personally own would be from best to lesser. I have not seen a 5 Shot or HBE, and while I am sure they are superb I cannot rate them from personal experience.

Nossar
Brommeland - Would not buy now
DelFatti
Sparks
TT - Only have his mag pouches, but they are first tier work.
Allesi
Bluegrass - Wouldn't buy, and he may be out of business
Fist
Rosen - I only have the Express line. Premium would rate higher
Kramer
K&D
Kirkpatrick
El Paso
DeSantis
Little Bear
Hume

Regards,
Jerry
Jerry,

If you don't mind me asking why wouldn't Brommeland be an option?

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
The holsters on her site look great.
Do you own or have examined holsters by what most of us consider the top makers, and if so would you give us your assessment as to how Monica's holsters compare in terms of quality?
Thanks.

Regards,
Jerry
I have Tucker holsters, Milt Sparks and HBE. Monica uses the same weight of leather as HBE and Sparks. not as heavy as Tucker.
The fit and stitching is comparable to the top brands, at least on the one I have.
The only weakness I see and I'm being very critical mind you is the finish on Monicas holster is not as smooth as the others. The color is great but when you run your fingers over the holster you can feel a little roughness that the others don't have.
The pistol goes in and locks in place with a very solid feel.
This lady has impressed me with her quality. She is in my top three right now.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
I would have to rate Del Fatti at the top...his seems to be the Holy Grail of holsters right now. Milt Sparks, is a close second. I have a HBE which I absolutely love and think is as much holster as any one could need. UBG stuff is also looking very good. Pure Kustom and TT are clmbing the ranks a very quickly, and anybody who wants one better get it soon because the wait times wont stay short for long. Galco and Don Hume are perfectly acceptable foms of leather goods, and will work just fine, I own both. they just dont have the "feel" of custom though. Nothing like it...trust me.

Nossar seems to be forgotten...his stuff is also top notch, and i like the stuff i have seen from Desbiens, as well.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Jerry,

If you don't mind me asking why wouldn't Brommeland be an option?
Business practices. Some recently seem to have good service, but
Gary gave dates that he never met, and was hard to contact in the past.

The first one I ordered took 16 months instead of the few months I was quoted. During that time Gary had to move from FL, and had trouble getting his shop set up in his new location. However, he did promise next week for a long time.

You may have read of problems in the Where is my Holster thread.

Before I would order from him there would have to be many good reports of his service.
As good as he is, nobody is good enough to provide such lousy customer service and still have me deal with them.

Gunnutty,
Thanks for the reply. Sometimes I see someone brag on a holster maker that I personally know does not live up to the praise I see.
It is a good recommendation when one who has top holsters gives a good report.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
Brommeland ( don't pay until it is ready to ship )
Milt Sparks ( but you are looking at a long wait. I have been waiting 26 weeks it could take 4 to 6 more weeks I was told Monday.)
K&D
Fist
UBG
Don Hume
Galco
HBE

I know that some are not on the list, but these are the ones that I have experience with.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts