Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently gotten my PTC and have been trying to get to the range at least once a month. I have shot multiple brands names and types of ammo through my pistol (Stoeger Cougar) to see what it would handle. So far it has not had a FTE or FTF. I am wondering though what ratio of SD ammo should be maintained in relation to practice ammo. I understand that practice ammo would function as SD ammo if things ever got really bad, but I'm trying to come up with some type of plan that maximizes my ammo budget.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
my ratio 10 - 1 , but I do shoot SD ammo while practicing as well.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I don't have any particular ratio. I simply shoot enough SD ammo to keep familiar with it.

Follow up ...

I think I misunderstood the question. I was referring to shooting and you were referring to ammo on hand, I think.

That being the case, the ratio is probably 8 to 1 or there abouts.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
I might say it's changed over the years. What used to be an approximated 10% SD ammo should now run around 20% for us compared to range ammo. But......a lot of the range ammo is spent on competition for us monthly. 600 rounds easy go for that. We try to recover that in a month's time before the next match and gain some in the process.

·
Super Moderator
50,597 Posts
SD ammo = enough for a war!:yup:

Practice ammo = enough to practice for a war!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Anymore I just buy good ammo whenever I can find it so my ratio is all screwed up. Basically though, I try to aim for about 20-30% SD to range ammo which is probably on the high side. Can't hurt to have extra though. :comeandgetsome:

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
right now I'm sitting at about 4:1 practice:SD, about an 800/200 mix. I'm hoping to keep the ratio about the same but increase the amount of weight in the bottom of the safe by... well, a lot.

Doubling or tripling the onhand 9mm stash, increasing the .380 stash tenfold, and getting a couple thousand rounds of .223 wolf for training classes, another thousand or two of M855 for practice/range sessions/SHTF so I can have re-loadable brass, and a couple hundred JSP or JHP SD rounds for HD. It adds up quickly, both in the bottom of the safe and in the hits to the bank account.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I have about double the total amount of .38 special to .357 magnum. But of the magnum, a much higher percentage of that total is top shelf SD. I would say about 20% SD for the .38 and about 70% for the .357 mag.

·
Registered
185 Posts
20/1000 right now because I can't find anymore Speer Gold Dot +p.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Isn't it all SD when things deteriorate?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes NC, it is and I thought I indicated that in my op. I am just looking for some ideas for normal, not end of the world stuff.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Yes NC, it is and I thought I indicated that in my op. I am just looking for some ideas for normal, not end of the world stuff.
That you did and my bad, guess when I get sidetracked trying to read the post and something elsewhere requires attention I need to re start.

As to "The Good Stuff" vs training, I recommend that when you buy the good stuff if you can, buy large. This will usually keep the purchase in one lot number so if some goes boom the rest will most likely do the same. I also try to rotate out my carry rounds every 2 to 4 months so that's about 15 rounds a month along with what ever I have time for with the target ammo. If I get 500 rounds of SD ammo that keeps me going for a bit over 2 years between purchases. Although, if you spot a deal in the interim then you can hop on it.

Any time I get a new lot number I run at least a mag for a self convincing factor. Then the rest goes into rotation.

Don't put too much emphasis on ratio but on how much you can practice. More practice, more target ammo. Keep the SD usage about the same. Just don't run out.

Hope this made sense.

·
Super Moderator
50,597 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
I try to keep enough SD ammo to fill the gun & magazines/speed loaders that are carried plus one box as a backup per gun. The rest is as much practice ammo as I can find and afford.

·
Super Moderator
19,570 Posts
I haven't made a science out of it, but in general I like to have enough defensive ammo on hand to fill all my available defensive handguns and spare mags with one recharge. For example, I have enough .40 JHPs to load up the K40 and the G23 and all their spare mags, with about 75 rounds left over.

With the .45s, I'm less fussy... all things considered, JHPs are preferred but I wouldn't consider myself at a disadvantage with FMJ ammo. Hence there might be just 50 rounds of JHP beyond what's in the guns at the moment, but at least 1000 rounds of ball on hand.

·
Registered
219 Posts
For many years each month I would purchase several boxes of SD ammo until the shortage happened and thankful that I did.

My best guess is I have enough SD ammo for the next two decades. Practice ammo in my house, more than enough plus our group builds ammo and has an excellent stockpile. Dillion Press thinks we have one of the largest setups of their presses on the West Coast.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I am guilty of being one of those "panic buyers". Last couple of years I would buy whatever I could get my hands on in 45 and 40 SD ammo from various Internet sources.

It all ranges from Winchester SD, HST, Hydra-Shok, Golden Sabre and a couple of others. No Gold Dot but that is because I was late to the party.

I probably have more SD ammo on hand right now than range ammo.

I have been keeping brass for a few years now and I am almost ready to try my hand at reloading. If I ever get off of my can and get going I will have lots of range ammo in various calibers.

Be Safe,

NosaM

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have more SD than practice in handgun ammo and the opposite in rifle ammo. In 38 special, 45 ACP, 9mm and 357 SIG, I keep about 300 rouinds each of SD and about 150 rounds each of practice. I just buy more practice ammo as I use it after each outing. In 308 and 5.56 for my AR's, I have about 2,000 rounds of FMJ for each and 400 rounds of Hornady TAP for each. I rarely shoot the TAP except maybe a box per outing while shooting 5 or more boxes of FMJ. Once again, I replace the FMJ after each outing. I always pick up my SD rounds when I find a special deal on them. Especially when I find the 5.56 TAP T2 rounds.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I have about a 10-15:1 ratio of range / SD ammo....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts