Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a growing interest in getting one of my 1911s milled and a plate installed for mounting either a Trijicon RMR or Holosun 507C.

I see that more people are getting into carrying with RDSs installed on their carry guns, and wanted to see if anyone here uses this setup on their daily carry, what RDS you use, and experiences with it.

·
Registered
6,765 Posts
I use a 6 MOA Vortex Venom on a Glock 19. I went with this mount:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075XKB8VV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I swapped out the front night sight for a XS Big Dot suppressor height front sight. The Venom has a built-in rear sight. Using that mount, I can revert to a stock setup easily. I like the Venom. It is very fast on target and works pretty much as well as the red dots on rifles and carbines.

I don't know if I'll carry this setup everyday, or just use it around the house.

Mine looks something like this:

61ZmNsvbDFL._SL1008_.jpg

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is the setup I am looking to get. Joe Chambers offers milling and a mounting plate that has a mount in front of the RDS for a BUIS. His mounts will accommodate either the RMR or 507C. I am not sure if he has anything that will fit the Vortex line.
RDMS_Plate_2_1024x1024.jpg

·
Registered
399 Posts
Aimpoint's new Acro P-1 for me, and Aimpoint is already shipping them. Internal emitter, easy battery access, mounting system works with almost anything, and it's smaller and lighter than the not yet in production Trij SRO.

Reactions: gatorbait51 and OD*

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
Aimpoint's new Acro P-1 for me, and Aimpoint is already shipping them. Internal emitter, easy battery access, mounting system works with almost anything, and it's smaller and lighter than the not yet in production Trij SRO.
But it looks like a box... :yup:

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
I'd be interested in seeing how much of a size difference there is with the RMR Type 2.
Footprint looks the same, battery compartment does not require removal from gun, it is taller with a higher window.

If you haven't seen Will Petty's work on transitioning from irons to a RDS it's interesting, innovative stuff.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Footprint looks the same, battery compartment does not require removal from gun, it is taller with a higher window.

If you haven't seen Will Petty's work on transitioning from irons to a RDS it's interesting, innovative stuff.
I still have lots of research to do on the use of these vs iron sights, and plan to get into it a bit deeper before making a final decision.

·
Premium Member
33,776 Posts
I have a growing interest in getting one of my 1911s milled and a plate installed for mounting either a Trijicon RMR or Holosun 507C.

I see that more people are getting into carrying with RDSs installed on their carry guns, and wanted to see if anyone here uses this setup on their daily carry, what RDS you use, and experiences with it.
I prefer having my sights mounted directly to the slide rather than on an in-between plate. This lowers the overall profile and provides a more stable mount. I have a DeltaPoint, Trijicon and JPoint, and like the Trijicon the least, simply because of the color and slight distortion of the glass.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I prefer having my sights mounted directly to the slide rather than on an in-between plate. This lowers the overall profile and provides a more stable mount. I have a DeltaPoint, Trijicon and JPoint, and like the Trijicon the least, simply because of the color and slight distortion of the glass.
Which is your favorite?

·
Registered
8,434 Posts
I have a Glock 19 MOS with a Trijicon RMR and suppressor sights. It works well. It's not my daily carry at this point, not because I don't like it, but because I currently have a love affair going with Sig Sauers.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I actually have two and I like them, especially for these aging eyes. I have an RMR on a G19 and SIG P320 RX (Romeo 1). The "always on" feature of the RMR and its battery life are hard to beat, plus it seems indestructible. The Romeo 1 is fairly new to me and I'm still evaluating. I like both of them enough that I'm thinking a a Deltapoint Pro for another pistol.

My only caution is that (at least for me after 50+ years of iron sights) they take time to adapt to. I really had to work on my draw stroke to ensure I pick up the dot as the pistol was extended from high-ready position.

·
Registered
6,318 Posts
I actually have two and I like them, especially for these aging eyes. I have an RMR on a G19 and SIG P320 RX (Romeo 1). The "always on" feature of the RMR and its battery life are hard to beat, plus it seems indestructible. The Romeo 1 is fairly new to me and I'm still evaluating. I like both of them enough that I'm thinking a a Deltapoint Pro for another pistol.

My only caution is that (at least for me after 50+ years of iron sights) they take time to adapt to. I really had to work on my draw stroke to ensure I pick up the dot as the pistol was extended from high-ready position.
Look up William Petty's SRO work on YouTube, really came up with an innovative way to train your eyes to find the dot quickly.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Cracks me up that people get paranoid about reloading their own ammo and having to explain that in court.

But people make their guns look like it’s owned by john wick, and they’re not concerned about how that would look in court?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts