Defensive Carry banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a nice IWB kydex holster that I've been using with my Gen 2 Ruger LCP. I stopped by a gun shop a few weeks ago and tried to fit one of the new LCP IIs and the trigger guard is a bit 'off'. I know it's a different shape and wondered if I can heat up the kydex and mold it to the new trigger guard when my LCP II arrives at the local FFL's shop. What would be the best method for heating the holster? Hair dryer? Hot water? Other suggestions? Can it even be done?

I was thinking I'd get it warm enough, then shove the new gun into it and shape it with some thick leather gloves to protect my fingers.

Thanks for advice.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I used a long tubed lighter on mine. It doesn't take much heat to get it to move. I ended up bubbling the inside alittle bit so I had to use sandpaper to smooth it out. If you use an open flame make sure you heat the inside of the holster. Don't heat from the outside.

·
Premium Member
36,786 Posts
If the shape change isn't too drastic, simply heat the trigger guard with a back-and-forth motion with a paint peeler or hair dryer as you gently push the gun into the holster. As the kydex relaxes, the gun will slide in and cause the kydex to assume the shape of the trigger guard. Don't let it heat and relax too much, or you will cause the trigger guard to lose its retention on the gun.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
If the shape change isn't too drastic, simply heat the trigger guard with a back-and-forth motion with a paint peeler or hair dryer as you gently push the gun into the holster. As the kydex relaxes, the gun will slide in and cause the kydex to assume the shape of the trigger guard. Don't let it heat and relax too much, or you will cause the trigger guard to lose its retention on the gun.
I believe we all understand exactly what you mean, Mike, but just to be (semantically) clear, you do mean to heat the trigger guard area of the holster, not the trigger guard of the pistol, right ? Words play tricks on people, and there is no telling what some literalists might do. :smile:

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
If you're keeping the Gen 2 LCP, I'd just buy another (correct) LCP II holster. If you're selling/trading your Gen 2? Toss it in as part of the deal. And STILL buy...the correct holster for your new pistol. Holsters aren't that expensive, your heating & remolding adventure might mis-fit the Kydex for...BOTH GUNS! :image035:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts