Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never been an advocate of neck carry for a fixed EDC knives. Having been knocked and/or taken to the ground enough times, I've negatively imagined trying to quickly FIND that knife when it can easily be ANYwhere in the 360 degrees around my torso. After watching Doug Marcaida (Silat Master, judge on "Forged in Fire" and impressive YouTube contributor) do a karambit demo in which he neck carries, it prompted my re-think. In sweater weather, it seems a good idea IF I can keep the knife stationary in a mid/low center-chest location on its lanyard. Then I had a brainstorm (maybe brain-sprinkle?). I've added a small sliding-loop on my paracord (with safety-break) neck lanyard. The loop is simply tightened around a strategically located shirt button. If no shirt button is available (tee shirt?). A small safety pin should get it done. So now the sheath (handle down) STAYS in its intended/anticipated location. It's working out fine, uhhh...so far. :yup:

·
Registered
617 Posts
I don't know why, but I'm fascinated by these small fixed blades. New one's just seem to keep showing up in the mail for some reason. Thought of different ways to neck carry but the best I've found is horizontal belt 1030ish position in a kydex sheath. Right handed so handle pointed torwards 1200 position.
My biggest problem, so far, has been finding the largest knife possible for concealed carry. 5" mayyyybe 6" overall length. Anyway, sounds like you've got the neck carry figured out well enough.

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
Allow some humorous sarcasm here:

'Yes, every morning I get up, get dressed, oh wait, take my shirt and tie off and put on the neck knife, and loop it over my shirt button, or find the clear packing tape and tape that sucker down. In the evening, sure it takes 10 minutes to get undressed, but I've worked it out...now if I can remember where I stuck that still good piece of tape. Oh cr*p, where did I hang that lanyard for my neck knife?' (walks off screen with the tape stuck to his shoe.

Guys! If you have a 'method' that's too darn complicated, or as I call it 'low in transparency' and 'high in maintenance' it might be good for a week, maybe a month, but you'll transition out of it.

Things like having four decent clip on folders that stay on your four pairs of pants in the same place (and not rotating ONE freaking favorite expensive knife) is the kind of thing that works. You reach to your front pocket corner, you pat your rear pocket corner and guess what, the knife is on the floor of the bedroom where you dumped EVERYTHING on that hot date last night.

At least if you change pants, you have the same blade in place, raising your changes to 80-90% when you're attacked by fresh fruit or peanut butter!.

I'm not saying 'don't get too fancy', but I am saying 'seek transparency'. High maintenance of your 'gear' is gonna get old, boring, left behind. Trust me, and I'm a bit OCD, and schedule a couple hours to get dressed. If anyone has figured out how to do it, aside from wearing a uniform, please tell us.

Carry methods just stop working and we switch up. We learn new things. We change. Figure if there's transparency and simplicity to be had. Otherwise, you are spending an enormous amount of energy for a 0.01% chance of needing that 10th item of EDC.

If you can run the same complex set of gear items year after year, you have my admiration.

But neck knives, ankle holsters, leather 'Steve McQueen/Bullet' armpit holsters, shoe phones, I say leave those on TV shows.

All props to Ghost, but I have to ask why he's finding himself on the ground so often, with a BG on top that he can neutralize with a karambit in a neck knife config. I just can't visualize it. Doug M. is pretty skillful but he's a one-of-a-kind. :wink:

·
Registered
20,022 Posts
I like my neck knife. I think it's a very practical way to carry.

I don't carry it every day. I view the multitool as a more practical edc option for my purposes, or a plain ol Schrade pocketknife.
But then again I don't subscribe to the theology of the defensive knife.

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
I like my neck knife. I think it's a very practical way to carry.

I don't carry it every day. I view the multitool as a more practical edc option for my purposes, or a plain ol Schrade pocketknife.
But then again I don't subscribe to the theology of the defensive knife.
What knife do you use for a neck knife? I use a CRKT Minimalist. I usually carry that and a folder. I mostly use them for edc purposes, but if I had to, they'd work for self defense to.

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
I've never been an advocate of neck carry for a fixed EDC knives. Having been knocked and/or taken to the ground enough times, I've negatively imagined trying to quickly FIND that knife when it can easily be ANYwhere in the 360 degrees around my torso. After watching Doug Marcaida (Silat Master, judge on "Forged in Fire" and impressive YouTube contributor) do a karambit demo in which he neck carries, it prompted my re-think. In sweater weather, it seems a good idea IF I can keep the knife stationary in a mid/low center-chest location on its lanyard. Then I had a brainstorm (maybe brain-sprinkle?). I've added a small sliding-loop on my paracord (with safety-break) neck lanyard. The loop is simply tightened around a strategically located shirt button. If no shirt button is available (tee shirt?). A small safety pin should get it done. So now the sheath (handle down) STAYS in its intended/anticipated location. It's working out fine, uhhh...so far. :yup:
Grow some hair on your chest, and use it to tie a pretty bow around the sheath. Seriously though, I know where my neck knife is because I can feel it the knife itself laying against my skin, OR I can feel the cord resting on my body which gives me a pretty good idea of where the knife is going to be. If I'm leaning over, the laws of gravity gives me a good idea of where my knife is...

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Used to carry an Emerson claw straight neck blade, for years while working the streets. BUK to a BUK to the primary blade sorta thing. Like the BUG to the BUG to the primary gun, where the NAA22mag pug was on par with the neck knife as a 3rd alternative.

I haven't carried a neck knife in over a decade now. If you carry one, make sure to use dog tag chain [ or something that will break away so someone can't try to choke you with it ].

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
... If you carry one, make sure to use dog tag chain [ or something that will break away so someone can't try to choke you with it ].
Wholeheartedly agree! I use black, gutted paracord lanyard with a 2" section of black dog tag chain (with clasp) "heat welded" into the hollow ends. After I once comPLETELY dismantled a guy wearing a conventional neck tie, the idea of a clip-on tie became MUCH more, uhhh..."tactical" :image035:

Reactions: Instymp and AzQkr

·
Registered
20,022 Posts
What knife do you use for a neck knife? I use a CRKT Minimalist. I usually carry that and a folder. I mostly use them for edc purposes, but if I had to, they'd work for self defense to.
Cold Steel mini Tanto pictured here;
IMG_2539.jpg

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey GMan, where's the break-away on that lanyard? :blink:

·
Registered
20,022 Posts
Hey GMan, where's the break-away on that lanyard? :blink:
Screw that. I wear this while kayaking, hiking, and especially hunting when I'm using a tree stand and wearing a safety harness.

Im not going to be using it for SD. That's what the pistol is for.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
I use to carry a Bravo Necker everyday for about two years. A few years ago I stopped. No real reason just did. I have a few small knives that would excel at neck carry but haven't gotten back into the habit. I always found it hand while camping or hiking to just be able to use the small necker as most chores could be easily handled by a small knife.

·
Administrator
144,124 Posts
Then there is the argument made ( of course) on YouTube that any high quality folder is just as strong as a small fixed blade knife (neck worn or otherwise) that there is no need for any small fixed one piece knife.

But, I am still drawn to them like a magnet. I think I have 4 of them now and I am probably not finished buying them yet.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Then there is the argument made ( of course) on YouTube that any high quality folder is just as strong as a small fixed blade knife (neck worn or otherwise) that there is no need for any small fixed one piece knife.

But, I am still drawn to them like a magnet. I think I have 4 of them now and I am probably not finished buying them yet.
Two points on the underlined

1. Depends on what folder and what straight are being compared.
2. The straight doesn't need any manipulation to open the blade once it's accessed from the neck sheath.

·
Administrator
144,124 Posts
You'll get no argument from me on that.

The Tibo in Damascus has really been whispering in my ear recently.

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
More of just my 2 cents. I've been a 'knife fan' for many years. I have never owned a custom knife, but I considered it back in the mid 90s when I amassed a bunch of catalogs of, then, famous makers. Back then a quality handmade custom was under $500, but I just couldn't justify it. Of course they appreciate in value so had I gone in and bought one it would be worth three times that much now. It would have been a good investment. A couple of those makers have since died, making their work even more valuable.

But would I ever in any reality carry, EDC, a custom, a super high quality hand-made? Nope. If I felt I was going to have to survive, I'd look to something that I could beat the heck out of and not snap it, but still not an expensive thing.

I'm not arguing for the use of low cost, good steel, full tang fixed blades, but that's what I use and when it's dull I throw it in the 'used box' and buy a new one. For under $30-40, it's really kind of a 'if I lose (track of ) it, no big deal'. I would be upset to lose track of a custom.

Is it hard to 'not' lose track? IDK, I try my darndest to keep track, to store in on place and put back in that place, like the 'car keys in a bowl by the door' concept but invariably they wind up in a winter coat and stored for the summer and I lose it inside the house, lol. Then I just pull out another.

If someone has a better system, please share.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
would I ever in any reality carry, EDC, a custom, a super high quality hand-made? Nope.

would I ever in any reality carry, EDC, a custom, a super high quality hand-made? Yup, nearly every day. I prefer to choose superior products in hand mades over commercial offerings. The idea behind carrying a hand made is that it's unlikely to fail at the worst possible time.

I'm not arguing for the use of low cost, good steel, full tang fixed blades, but that's what I use

You're joined by the majority in that regard.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts