Defensive Carry banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I made a post a bit ago talking about a Lee Loadmaster I purchased. The quality wasnt there, and it had so many problems that I didnt want to deal with, I sold it before I even loaded a single completed round. Ive used other Lee single stage and turret presses, and they were fine, but looking for a nicer progressive press to stock up on ammo, mostly pistol.

Of course Im going to load some occasional rifle ammo, but worst case if I decide to, I have an older Lee Turret Press that I can use, so my new progressive doesnt have to be totally optimal for it. I dont see myself doing bulk 223 or anything anytime soon. Been there, done that, not fun. Case prep sucks.

My original plan was the RCBS Pro Chucker 5. I know it had primer setup issues, but they were supposedly fixed. Most people are happy, although it seems some people still have issues. Now Im looking at the Dillon XL750. Neither seems like it is exactly what I want, but maybe if I list off what I want and what I dont, you all can help me narrow it down.

Wants:
-Auto index
-Case feeder
-Bullet feeder
-Headache free operation

Dont want:
-Giant, electric bullet feeder
-Giant, electric case feeder
-Fiddly, temperamental operation

For more info on that, in an optimal world, Id have a case and bullet feeder. That being said, the ones with the big hopper that you dump bullets and cases in, and need different conversion kits for different calibers, bullet types, more electrical outlets, giant hardware thats way up in the air, mirror setups to see down inside them, etc. No interest in that, Id rather feed bullets and cases manually before I had a setup like that. What I do like the idea of is something like the Mr Bullet Feeder product, where you just have a magazine setup with multiple tubes, that you can pre-load casings into. Ive found one that Double Alpha makes, and it seems to meet my requirements. One of the reasons I originally went with the Lee is because of the case collator and feeder was the type I wanted. This seems to be the same, just a higher quality. This is the product for anyone interested.

Bullet feeding is less important to me, but it seems like RCBS has a bullet feed die that is pretty affordable and might work well. Its another setup with just a tube you drop bullets into manually, and then it feeds them into the case mouths. for $30, might be worth a shot. If it doesnt work, not the end of the world.

Between the two presses, there is a $95 difference. The RCBS offering can be had at Natchez for $565, and the base Dillon machine is $650. Either of them will be on an Inline Fabrication mount. Im not too worried about the price difference. I just want the machine that will be easy to set up and be headache free. Im not some shooter who goes through a thousand rounds a month, but would like to load a few thousand rounds up front (mostly 38spl and 9mm for now, with other pistol calibers down the road) and then maybe 500-1k rounds a month to put away for long term storage.

Any thoughts on these two and which would be better for my needs?

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I’ve loaded 9x19, 45 acp, and 5.56x45 on my Dillon XL650 for 20+ years and it’s still going strong! Versatile, reliable, fast, and relatively easy to change calibers once you understand the setup (which isn’t hard). You can get by without the auto case feeder but it really speeds up the process.

Botton line...it’s one of the best progrssive loaders on the market and their customer service is second to none. You won’t be disappointed!

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I'll second what @MJK says about the case feeder, if you've ever loaded on a progressive press with a case feeder, you'd never want to go back. They're a huge time saver, when the press gets running I only stop every 100 rounds to change the primer tube. I place a tub of bullets on bench just to the left of the press and I can feed bullets to the case mouths as fast as I can run the press. If I had to also feed cases, things would slow down a whole lot.

My opinion is just get the Dillon, I've been using an XL650 for about 30 years now and it still runs great. Get the case feeder when you save up the bucks for one, I don't think you'll ever regret it.

·
Registered
7,977 Posts
Im very happy with my dillon 550. If you're looking for something that auto indexes Im sure you'd be happy witht he 750.

Reactions: G26Raven

·
Registered
880 Posts
No question buy a DIllon! I'd recommend a 650 or 750. Major difference is in the primer system. Of course if you can find a used one, I did for $1100, and are adapt at reloading already a Super 1050 or 1100 is even better. The 650/750 are guaranteed for life, no questions asked and you don't even have to be the original owner. Dillon has THE BEST Customer Service I've ever experienced. Buy a Dillon Press, you won't regret it.

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
I've been very happy with my Dillon 550. I was going to buy one of their more sophisticated presses and they actually talked me out of it. Customer support is excellent.

Reactions: flintlock62

·
Premium Member
4,583 Posts
I've had my 500b for 20 years. When I moved 7 years ago, I lost a few parts in the move. I called Dillon expecting to pay for the parts. Three days later, the parts showed up, free! CS can't get better than that!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts