Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am about halfway through a book called "The Reaper's line" subtitled Life and Death on the Mexican Border.
by Lee Morgan II Special Agent US Customs Service.

Anyone know him?

I am having trouble putting it down.

It reminds of the books/articles Col Charles Atkins wrote about the Border area when he was a Border Patrolman.

·
Banned
13,685 Posts
If I could quit the internet long enough.....I have several good books to read/finish reading. Been years since I've sat down and read a book complete. It might be a sin. Thanks for the reminder of the things I should do, and the book you talk about sounds interesting. I might have to put it on my list to check out. May try and find it on Amazon.
You ever do ops on the border? My former unit (1/5/1 STA platoon USMC) used to go down from Pendelton (Margaritaville) for a three day tour and set up night vision, radar, and ground sensors for training back in the 80's.

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Read anything good lately?

Yep.

I just read Ram Rod's erotic description of cleaning his Glocks.

I could have swore I was reading a romance novel.:wink:

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You ever do ops on the border? My former unit (1/5/1 STA platoon USMC) used to go down from Pendelton (Margaritaville) for a three day tour and set up night vision, radar, and ground sensors for training back in the 80's.
NO From 1978-2006 I was chasing bad guys in Southern Nevada

Semper FI

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
As stated by Ram Rod, If I can pull the plug on this here PC ; ) H/D

·
Banned
5,253 Posts
IIRC, and my sources were correct, he was a Supervisor in the Douglas Office. From what I heard, he wasn't afraid to roll up his sleeves and get his hands dirty.

To me, in this PC world of federal bovine fecal matter oriented law enforcement, there is no greater compliment that can be paid management personnel. That and having your people's back are qualities too often found lacking today.

My sources also stated that he "went out on a Medical."

Biker

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I'm an avid & critical reader. I was loaned a poorly-written book of sometimes dubious "non" fiction called "I'm Frank Hamer". It's the autobiography of the Texas Ranger & lawman published (at his request) after his death with the proceeds to help support his then-widow. While the book is a grammar teacher's nightmare, the stories, tactics & grit were surprisingly memorable. If you want a really good read - "Undaunted Courage" by Stephen E. Ambrose. It's the best historical re-telling of the Lewis & Clark Expedition available. Ambrose also wrote "Citizen Soldiers" (became -"Band of Brothers", "D-Day" & D.D. Eisenhower's biography "Character Above All". IMHO, he may be the finest American author to combine history & journalism.

·
Banned
1,706 Posts
Not much to do here in off hours, just reread WEB Griffin's "The Corps" series and starting on the "Presidential Agent" series, after that I'll reread my autographed copy of John Ross' "Unintended Consequences".

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I just got done reading "Horse Soldiers" by Doug Stanton; it is about the US Army Green Berets who were the first US troops that rode into Afghanistan after 9/11. These guys rode on horseback into battle alongside the Northern Alliance soldiers who fought the Taliban. They were on Horseback going up against mechanized infantry outnumbered 3 to 1.....

It is the best book you will read this year about some guys with cast iron you-know-whats.

It is amazing to me that these 30 some-odd guys coordinated the Northern Alliance forces to defeat a 60,000 man Taliban army in less than 6 months, yet with all of the thousands of US troops we have there now, we still need more....

·
Registered
791 Posts

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
"The Last Centurion" by John Ringo. It's set in the near future, against a backdrop of global cooling, virulent flu pandemic, a bordrline insane US President who is obviously modeled after Hilliary, and intervention in Iran after political upheaval in that country. Oh, and beating the MSM at their own game.

It's an excellent read, just too bad that our current situation seems to be going in a worse direction.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I also just finished To Kill a Mocking Bird. Not gun related in any way, but a good book none the less.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I just finish reading "The Reapers Line" I can say it is action packed and INTERESTING in his observations of other Govt agencies on the border

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
Well I just finish reading "The Reapers Line" I can say it is action packed and INTERESTING in his observations of other Govt agencies on the border
I just finished this book as well. It does provide a somewhat disgusting view of vast corruption on the border and the bureaucratic mess that compounds the drug problems this country faces.

Another good book I just finished is called "Cruel and Usual Punishment: The Terrifying Global Implications of Islamic Law" written by Nonie Darwish. Sheesh, talk about frightening stuff... Without delving into the religion and politics contained within, suffice it to say that it is an eye opening book.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Right now Im rereading Dead Witch Walking, by Kim Harrison. I also am reading Blood Noir by LK Hamiliton. Although last night I took a break from those and read my old survial in the woods book that I forget who wrote it.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
thanks for the recommendation of the reapers line.
I am reading about the exploits of a california game warden.
Tough Customers : True adventures of game wardens and the outlaws they pursue By Terry Hodges
Predators by Terry Hodges
I am awaiting Sabertooth by Terry Hodges.
My next read is The Gun Rights Wars by Neal Knox.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts