Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i went to the range yesterday and shot better than usual which surprised me. After I squeezed a few rounds at 7 yds, I moved the target to 10 Yards (the target is 12"X18'). I noticed when I was shooting I was having a problem focusing. It was either a really clear target with a really blurry front sight or the other way around. Obviously when I focused in the front sight I shot better. Now in order to do that I had to tilt my head slightly back from my normal shooting position. This is due to wearing progressive lenses (old timers call them bifocals or trifocals if it's really bad). I'm sure it looks a little strange, but there's too much value in hitting the target than looking good IMHO.... I'm not quite sure why I didn't notice this before. The only explanation I can come up with is I was really trying to learn to focus, aim, and shoot from the front sight now... Heaven forbid I should have to confront a home invasion in the middle of the night without my glasses on....

Anybody else out there having the same issue and what did you do about it? :thk:

Reactions: GWarden

·
Registered
301 Posts
So i went to the range yesterday and shot better than usual which surprised me. After I squeezed a few rounds at 7 yds, I moved the target to 10 Yards (the target is 12"X18'). I noticed when I was shooting I was having a problem focusing. It was either a really clear target with a really blurry front sight or the other way around. Obviously when I focused in the front sight I shot better. Now in order to do that I had to tilt my head slightly back from my normal shooting position..:thk:
BTDT.
I'm due for an appt. with my eye Doc and plan to ask him if he can adjust and enlarge the middle focus portion of my lenses to match the distance from my eyes to the front sight.

·
Super Moderator
16,842 Posts
For me the best thing I ever did was to switch to contacts, 20/400 uncorrected so basically blind as a bat. And for those that say contacts are purely cosmetic I say try working in a confined environment such as an airplane cockpit where when you turn your head and bump the frames you receive a painful jab to the bridge of the nose. With contacts I can focus on the front sight and while the target may be a bit blurry my group sizes were cut in half.

·
Registered
99 Posts
BTDT.
I'm due for an appt. with my eye Doc and plan to ask him if he can adjust and enlarge the middle focus portion of my lenses to match the distance from my eyes to the front sight.
My eye doc did just that. We went out back and I held my G26 out straight. He used a few lenses in front of my glasses to gauge how much my prescription needed to be changed so I could focus on the front sight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For me the best thing I ever did was to switch to contacts, 20/400 uncorrected so basically blind as a bat. And for those that say contacts are purely cosmetic I say try working in a confined environment such as an airplane cockpit where when you turn your head and bump the frames you receive a painful jab to the bridge of the nose. With contacts I can focus on the front sight and while the target may be a bit blurry my group sizes were cut in half.
I've heard of people getting contacts. One lense for distance and one for closer up. Generally, I really like the transition lenses. My eye glass script is right on the money and I correct to 30/20 so my vision is crystal clear when I can look through the right part on the lenses. If my glasses slide down my nose just a little bit, I can adjust accordingly for normal function, but I need them high and tight on my nose when I'm shooting for it to easily work well. I might have the next pair slightly adjusted by having the transition moved up a bit....

Reactions: msgt/ret

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Heaven forbid I should have to confront a home invasion in the middle of the night without my glasses on....

Anybody else out there having the same issue and what did you do about it? :thk:
Being awoke in the middle of the night; it is doubtful glasses or contacts will be of much help.

1) "Sandman" still in the eye.

2) It's dark unless you have some sort of illumination and KNOW where the invader is.

Sure, if you can get the glasses on AND have some time to shake the cob webs; they may be helpful.

This is one reason I mix in training w/o my glasses at the range; surprisingly I do pretty well..well, maybe not surprising.

When I fought contact martial art tourneys, I DID NOT wear my glasses.
My aim was NOT to put a toe in their eye, but rather get a hit...

Kinda' the same goal IMO in a home invader at night scenario IMO.

Reactions: Holmes375

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I don't concentrate on my sights until about 20 yards out. I just concentrate on the target. I have one of my 1911's with no sights on it that I practice with; that teaches me to concentrate on the target. Everyone has a different practice they use to reach their goal I guess. I'm farsighted so my technique works for me without my glasses on. Finding what works best for you is the important thing, and then practicing with it as often as possible.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I switched to wearing my progressives recently (my regular lenses are too beat up at this point). I am 20/400 in one eye, and 20/800 in the other without correction.

The switch to progressives did affect my accuracy, though I am now getting used to them. The bottom half of my vision has a fisheye-lens effect. before using the progressives for anything but desk work, I found I was pushing my single-vision glasses down my nose to change the focus closer. Now I am learning the head lean-back described above.

As an experiment, while using a spotter for additional safety on the range, I tried shooting without glasses at all.

I am still good enough at any reasonable indoor distance. IIRC, I was hitting an 8" circle at 15 yards.

·
Registered
18,584 Posts
For anything out to about 10 yards, I use a flash sight picture and split vision technique.

This gets me centered well enough to make good hits quickly.

Reactions: Ghost1958 and AzQkr

·
Registered
598 Posts
Get yourself a shotgun, forget the glasses.................

Heaven forbid I should have to confront a home invasion in the middle of the night without my glasses on....

·
Banned
131 Posts
I don't concentrate on my sights until about 20 yards out. I just concentrate on the target. I have one of my 1911's with no sights on it that I practice with; that teaches me to concentrate on the target. Everyone has a different practice they use to reach their goal I guess. I'm farsighted so my technique works for me without my glasses on. Finding what works best for you is the important thing, and then practicing with it as often as possible.
You seem to have professional tactical training.

My only recommendation would be that at 20 yards it might be a better idea to hightail it outta there.

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
My eyes have got worst as I have gotten older . I still hit the bulleye . Its really simple just get a bigger target. . I am using a queen size sheet now with a 30" bulleye . Dead shot a 7 yds.

Just kidding I wear glasses and as long as I keep current prescription. I don't have a real problem.

·
Registered
598 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Contacts? That might work for some but the idea of putting something on my eyeball just makes me shiver. No Thanks. I will stick with glasses. :gah:

·
Registered
8,905 Posts
Obviously when I focused in the front sight I shot better. Now in order to do that I had to tilt my head slightly back from my normal shooting position. This is due to wearing progressive lenses (old timers call them bifocals or trifocals if it's really bad). :thk:
There's your problem right there. You're trying to use lenses from "progressives". Aren't they the same people who want to ban guns in most cases?

·
Banned
62 Posts
I was one that swore I could never put something like a contact in my eye. Well that was 10 years ago. I've been wearing them ever since and it is by far one the best decisions I've ever made.
My Ophthalmologist fixed me up with what's called 'monovision'. The dominant eye is set up for distance and the other eye for near vision. What's great about it is, with both eyes open, the near vision eye automatically picks up the sight clear as a bell.
My shooting has improved back to when I had a young man's eyes and I like it.

Reactions: msgt/ret
1 - 20 of 21 Posts