Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friend of mine passed this along to me today. The Tamp Bay Times researched 200 trials where the "Stand your ground' law in Florida was used as a defense in a case.

The facts are (as usual) nothing like the talking heads would like to have people believe.

First the article that calls on the study:

Florida blacks benefit from Florida 'Stand Your Ground' | The Daily Caller

... approximately one third of Florida “Stand Your Ground” claims in fatal cases have been made by black defendants, and they have used the defense successfully 55 percent of the time, at the same rate as the population at large and at a higher rate than white defendants, according to a Daily Caller analysis of a database maintained by the Tampa Bay Times.
And the actual study from the Tampa Bay Times:

Stand your ground law, Trayvon Martin and a shocking legacy | Tampa Bay Times

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
We won't hear about this in the news...

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
The Law applies to everyone equally right, so what is the problem, E. holder needs a lesson in Law 101. JMHO-YMMV

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Friend of mine passed this along to me today. The Tamp Bay Times researched 200 trials where the "Stand your ground' law in Florida was used as a defense in a case.

The facts are (as usual) nothing like the talking heads would like to have people believe.

First the article that calls on the study:

Florida blacks benefit from Florida 'Stand Your Ground' | The Daily Caller

And the actual study from the Tampa Bay Times:

Stand your ground law, Trayvon Martin and a shocking legacy | Tampa Bay Times
I think a lot of people don't understand the true intent of the SYG / Castle Doctrine are. When used properly, they are great laws that protect people from going to jail that use legitimate use of force to stop a threat against their life. Looking at some of the cases that the Tampa Bay Times posted, I can see some of them were no doubt justified, some iffy, and some not at all. Some of those cases looked like they were just trying to use the system to cover up what they did and it didn't work. If I had my way I would change the name of SYG to "SAVE MY BACON".

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
The media ignores facts when they do not support their agenda.

·
Premium Member
24,512 Posts
They need to quit trying to cloud the issue with facts!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts