Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
143,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bruce's fantasy pistol reminded of the Semmerling.
The tiny "real life" .45 now being made by American Derringer Corp. at a very steep price tag. The only problem with it is that it's NOT a semi~auto but a manually operated repeater. You need to rack the slide FORWARD after every shot.
So my question IS...Will we EVER SEE a .45acp semi~automatic as small as Bruce's Simian Pistol that will feed and function? The Semmerling does prove that a .45 pistol THIS SMALL can be made to feed & cycle reliably & move a large pistol cartridge up into the barrel chamber.

Semmerling LM-4 ($1600 - $ 4950) Produced from 1978 to 1982, approximately 600 of these firearms were manufactured. It is the smallest .45 ACP repeating handgun made. The original US Army contract pistol cost $5000.00. It is now being produced by American Derringer Corporation in stainless steel. It is 5.2 inches long by 3.7 inches tall, which does not meet the size requirement set forth in SB 15 for pistols.

The legendary Simmerling is one of the smallest .45 ACP's ever made. This incredible vest pocket pistol has a 5-shot capacity, and the first round is carried in the chamber ready for instant use just like a revolver or a larger frame .45 Auto. The LM4 weighs in at just 24 oz., and is only 5.2 x 3.7 inches in size with a thickness of 1 inch. The LM4 will be produced in limited quantities.

·
Registered
6,736 Posts
Bought one waaaaaaaaaaaay back when..............and that price was 1350.00........wish I had it today........I was thinking the exacxt same thing as you were QK...........lol
take a look at the price of the LM4..
http://www.amderringer.com/prices.html

·
Administrator
143,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You HAD one??? You Actually Owned One!?!?

I remember 1,500 or 1,600 some time ago.
Damn! I wish I had one...manual repeater or not.
I just checked Am Derr Corp............$2,660.00
Too much for me to buy one & still stay married.:biggrin2:
Thanks for adding the link by the way! It's appreciated.:yup:

·
Registered
6,736 Posts
QKShooter said:
I had one, back in 1979-82..........had to order it, and waited about 7 months for it to arrive

·
Premium Member
6,539 Posts
Wow...$2600?? How many Model 1s could you buy for that?

·
Registered
6,736 Posts
QKShooter said:
The nice thing about the semmerling was that even though it was a manual operated gun, you could manipulate the action (as the action slid forward, and not to the rear) almost as fast as a semi-auto pistol.. plus it was slicker than............well you know LOL.........:danceban:

·
Super Moderator
22,003 Posts
Will we EVER SEE a .45acp semi~automatic as small as Bruce's Simian Pistol that will feed and function?
No, not unless you cut a hole in the mainspring housing for the hammer strut to pass through. :biggrin2:

·
Administrator
143,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OD ~ Good Catch

Bruce's Pistol...You Said:
"No, not unless you cut a hole in the mainspring housing for the hammer strut to pass through."

Ha Ha ~ Good Idea. Paint the hammer strut RED & They Could Call It The Cocked Hammer Indicator. :rofl:

3/4" of RED hammer strut protruding out the butt of the pistol means the hammer is in the "cocked position" haha ~ No Problem!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Is American Derringer actually still in business? I have read conflicting reports on this.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Request

QKShooter said:
QK...do me a favor: I'm at school and the stupid server won't let me access this site: http://www.cylinder-slide.com go there and post a pic of their "ADVENTURER" 45 ACP. Can you do that for me? Thanks.

It is an ULTRA tiny semi-auto 45 and Bill Laughridge guarantees it 100% for reliability. Something even Wilson won't do for any sub-compact they work on. This is a creation of Cylinder & Slide...or they'll cut down your Commander to their specs, but they do offer the reliability guarantee. I forget the cost....but it's about the same as the semmerling.

BTW, I thought the original Semmerling was based on a weapon produced during WWII for the OSS out of stamped parts chambering the 45 and also requiring the slide be manually operated. IIRC it was known as the "Liberty Pistol."

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
American Derringer

MillCreek said:
Is American Derringer actually still in business? I have read conflicting reports on this.
American Derringer is going STRONG. I think it's DAVIS Derringer that is in deep trouble. But with the recent surge of newcomer BOND ARMS in this tiny arena of stackbarrels, it would not surprise me if American is feeling a pinch. Bond Arms is the T/C of the derringer world. In other words, one frame can mount multiple caliber barrels at a lesser cost and super high quality.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Big money, or what!!! Wow!

I am imagining the recoil of the diminutive piece - so Bob - what were your impressions of it, actually firing?

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
You know, I've hammered on the sub-compact 1911 45's a lot here, but looking at this little pistol and knowing how well it stands up to punishment AND the fact that it's backed by such an awesome warranty....I know that if I had the money, I'd get one in a heartbeat.

THANKS QK, for posting these! DANG these school sytem servers! Buncha frickin' commies.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
I've seen one of those "Down Sizer's" WOW can you imagine the kick on one of those in a full house .357 magnum??? You'd BETTER kill the perp, 'cause you won't be fighting him with a busted hand.

·
Banned
1,550 Posts
Hummmmm, so you mean no Simian 1910 in the future? The SA Micro is about the smallest 1911 style .45 I've seen and held. And let me tell ya it is small, dosn't fit the hand to well either.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts