Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts
I looked at that a while back. I love the ergonomics, but the engineer in me questioned the wisdom of mounting electonics on a slide that violently slams back and forth.

Has anybody else been using this yet?

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
That's really interesting. I might have to look into one for my XD.

·
Super Moderator
50,585 Posts
Interesting concept, but...

Too much stuff on top, for me...OMO
I like the plain old night sights...that's it on my Glocks.:wave:

·
Administrator
143,732 Posts
I'm sure that they are doing the same thing as LaserMax & Crimson Trace and that all of the internal guts are completely sealed in Epoxy resin.
The Laser itself has no moving parts.
It's easy to make certain that the batteries continue to maintain electrical contact and the simple switches are basically sealed and recoil proof.
I'm not really seeing any problems that technology cannot overcome regarding having one mounted on a slide.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
I'd knock that sucker off on a barricade.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I looked at that a while back. I love the ergonomics, but the engineer in me questioned the wisdom of mounting electonics on a slide that violently slams back and forth.

Has anybody else been using this yet?
I've used a slide mounted red dot that has held up to the abuse. As a fellow engineer I was doubtful too, but apparently it is no longer an issue in general.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I picked up a Laserlyte for my G19 on impulse on Thursday and zeroed it this morn.

Put about 50 rounds through and so far it has held it's zero...

Only problem I see with it is the potential for being accidentally turned on in the holster and the batteries being dead when you need to use it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I just put one on my XDSC .40, I hope it holds up. Ther reviews I have seen on the laselyte all lean towards good.
I've got the same weapon, and would like to know your impressions thus far. This could very well be my next purchase, if it's holding up for folks.

Good? Bad?

Thanks in advance :wave:

-Jason

·
Registered
368 Posts
for $50 more I like the crimson trace... idk, I just imagine that getting snagged on my cover shirt or something.

·
Registered
217 Posts
for $50 more I like the crimson trace... idk, I just imagine that getting snagged on my cover shirt or something.
I see that FreeGunStuff.com has the LaserLyte for the XD40 at $151+shipping.. The Crimson Trace is $250+tax if I bought it locally at Impact Guns.

I see the CT as possibly limiting holster choices. True?

-Jason

·
Registered
368 Posts
I see that FreeGunStuff.com has the LaserLyte for the XD40 at $151+shipping.. The Crimson Trace is $250+tax if I bought it locally at Impact Guns.

I see the CT as possibly limiting holster choices. True?

-Jason
oh i was looking at the $199 msrp for the laserlyte. $150 is a little better.

as for the CT limiting holseter choices, I have a Comptac MTAC for both my xd and sig (CT doesnt offer a grip for the p250 yet :mad:) and Comptac has assured me that their holsters will work without issue with CT equipped weapons. at $150 I would be more likely to consider it.

·
Registered
37,165 Posts
Only problem I see with it is the potential for being accidentally turned on in the holster and the batteries being dead when you need to use it.
At which point you use the regular sight that's in it as Plan B.

It's actually pretty small and it could snag on something (just like any other add-on), but not overly likely.

·
Registered
57 Posts
What about turning your laser on?.
seems like in the heat of the moment.
thats one more thing to worry with.
either Lasermax, andLaserlyte you have to push a button.
CT is on when you grab you gun.
I don't have a laser yet, but thats seem like something to consider, when shopping.
yes CT does limit choices on Holster,

·
Registered
356 Posts
I've had mine about 2 1/2 months now and put 400-500 rounds through in that time...it is still true so far.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have them on my G23 and my XD9 subcompact. Over 500 rounds through each with no issues. I also have not seen any problems with snagging. I bought both on ebay for $130 each.

·
Registered
368 Posts
What about turning your laser on?.
seems like in the heat of the moment.
thats one more thing to worry with.
either Lasermax, andLaserlyte you have to push a button.
CT is on when you grab you gun.
I don't have a laser yet, but thats seem like something to consider, when shopping.
yes CT does limit choices on Holster,
good point

·
Registered
95 Posts
Not all Lasermax require you to push a button for activation. I have a Lasermax Sabre on my G22. It has a three position slide switch on the back (off/continuous/pulse). It is activated by an additional pressure switch on the backstrap. So the slide switch can be on either continuous or pulse, but the laser will not turn on until you grip the pistol.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
I've seen spring mounted lasers for some models on the net. That seems like a great place to put a laser (right under the barrel, but not adding any bulk to the frame). Are those readily available for most models or are they still kind of a new thing that hasn't been tried and true? I've not researched them much, but I've seen a few while surfing. Any thoughts on them as an option? Are they cost-prohibitive?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts