Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Justice Minister Jamieson refers to knives as "offensive weapons". Probably in her universe there is no such thing as a defensive weapon.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Honestly, I never really thought I would see age restrictions and control measures for knives. I really didn't think it was possible for someone to stoop so low as to think that controlling the sale of knives will reduce violence. I would shake my head in disbelief, but I'm too stunned at the ignorance of some people.

Oh good grief! <sigh>

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
As an Ex Brit, I am as ever appalled at the trends in UK.

We all know they make little or no sense - and are based on very flawed logic - any punks wanting a knife (or gun even) to do harm will find them - it as ever only penalizes the good guys.

Won't be long before the Gov over there issues free ""I am a willing victim'' t-shirts or labels. This always brings to mind my many facetious comments at times - like, only a matter of time before <insert everyday object> is banned.

·
Registered
230 Posts
It's amazing how much misjudgement and or misinformation can one legislator can fir into one article. One example, a knive is never a defensive weapon...good grief...:blink:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Gun crime, knife crime, someone garrotting another with a piece of shoelace, lets just ban everything and all sit in straight jackets.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Well....if Germany ever wanted to resurrect Operation SEALION, now would be the time.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Killers will kill no matter what the restrictions on weapons. The restrictions onoy restrict the victims ability to defend themsleves. I found it ver interesting that they were going to :
"examine the link between crime and deprivation". I believe the link is that depraved individuals commit crimes!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Here are the CURRENT criminal offenses
...Marketing a knife in a way which suggests it is suitable for combat
2 years in prison and/or a fine

Carrying a knife or similar, bladed item, in a public place
2* years in prison and/or a fine

Carrying an offensive weapon in a public place
4 years in prison and/or a fine
Wow! "marketing". It would take an army of bobbies to arrest the advertisers in just ONE of the gun mags I get.

William Wallace was disarmed at first too, I believe. What lunacy!! :mad:

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
srfl
....GREAT point

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
ThatGunGuy said:
Gun crime, knife crime, someone garrotting another with a piece of shoelace, lets just ban everything and all sit in straight jackets.

Good idea, but let's go further, for the good of Scotland. Clothing can too easily be used for concealing all kinds of illegal weapons; therefore, public nudity should be required.

That would have the additional benefit of easing population pressure when most citizens freeze in areas north of Hadrian's Wall.

(A joke! I have some Scottish genes myself via a grandfather named McCaskill.)

·
Registered
127 Posts
So it came to pass . . .

Unbelievable! It's almost comical to read except that it is probably coming soon to a town near you.

Yes, I agree with XD40 - it's not dePRIVation that causes crime, it's dePRAVation. Big difference!!

As usual, they use economic pressure, fear of lawsuits, etc. to clamp down on manufacture and sales. It brought to my mind the passage in 1 Samuel 13:19 when the Philistines had disarmed Israel and forbade the manufacture of weapons:

"Now there was no smith found throughout all the land of Israel: for the Philistines said, Lest the Hebrews make them swords or spears . . . So it came to pass in the day of battle, that there was neither sword nor spear found in the hand of any of the people . . . ."

LibertyGal

·
Registered
277 Posts
Well, it's only logical, innit? Victim disarmament (a.k.a. gun control) reduces crime, right? Right? Only it didn't reduce crime. Instead, crime rates, including violent crimes, went way up. "So," the legislature asks, "were we perhaps wrong? Nah, NEVER! It only didn't work because the victims are not disarmed enough. We need more (inanimate object) control."

It's sad, but you can't really expect the British government to say, "Oops, didn't work, our bad, here's your guns back." Especially since they never planned to return the guns when they were confiscated. No records of who turned what in exist and all the guns were undoubtedly destroyed anyway.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
What this paper fails to acknowledge is that the knife restrictions already imposed in Scotland positively correlate to an increase (reportedly 40%) in the incidence of violent assault with broken glass. Enough so, that restrictions have been proposed in Glasgow and Edinburgh to restrict the use of glass on the public side of bars, so patrons cannot have access to glass. Thus, drinks will be served in plastic pitchers, bottles, mugs and pints.

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
I can't make it through the day without using my pocket knife dozens of times, yet I've never injured anyone except myself. Are these people crazy???

·
Registered
173 Posts
Pretty soon these people will be beating eachother to death with not-so-sharp blunt rocks.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
"As Justice Minister, I want to deliver a safer, stronger Scotland through a more efficient and effective justice system. A justice system that stands up to the scourge of antisocial behaviour."
A "system" predicated on the belief that cleaning up afterwards constitutes a system of anything but punishment. Well, that system has a leak. It actually creates victims.

A true system of justice must, by definition I would think, include defense against actions as they occur. Such a system would recognize that it's unnecessary for a government to forcibly create victims. By disarming everyone in sight (except the criminals), such disarmament actions do little but to put an ineffective bureaucracy in charge of individual, on-the-instant defense of the people ... which, of course, is a practical impossibility. To promote such a thing as a "plan" is stupid and misguided beyond belief. In reality, it's a plan for the Criminal Retirement Fund and nothing else.

·
Super Moderator
50,584 Posts
The Short Answer?

I can't make it through the day without using my pocket knife dozens of times, yet I've never injured anyone except myself. Are these people crazy???
Yes...

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret:urla9ub:

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
A knife is not defensive, it is an offensive and
indeed a lethal weapon. And carrying a knife can often be the
first step towards becoming a criminal
; the first step towards
taking a life; the first step towards tearing apart the very
fabric of our communities.
Oh my, I taken more than the first step............I carry knives & GUNS!

I'm sorry, I have no pity for them anymore. They have allowed themselves to be turned intoa nation of sheep.

Look, they banned guns....gun crime went up:stups: .
The have now banned knives...& guess what? Knife crime is UP!:stups:

What will they do when these bans don't stop crime & killings?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts