Defensive Carry banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Have an LCP1 - most unloved gun in my safe. Trying to get a new PPK reliable (waiting for another replacement part) - this has potential, but it’s going back if this part doesn’t fix it. In the meantime, as in another recent thread, “I’ve gone back to a J-frame.”

·
Registered
596 Posts
I bought the Glock 42 .380 for extreme concealed carry the year before the company came out with the Glock 43 9mm. The .380 has never failed to feed, fire, or eject and I consider in utterly reliable if not just a tad underpowered when I can get the same size pistol in 9mm, which I did. I'm not getting rid of it though, as I am confident it will work when needed, as needed, and is lightweight, concealable, and gosh darn it, I just like it! :geek:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Moving away from 380 for daily carry. They are not always reliable. Sure, they work fine for a while...until they don’t. Anyway, targets below comparing a Ruger LCP II with a Sig P238. Ruger on the left, Sig on the right. LCP shoots low and left. Both targets were at 5 yards.

View attachment 332251
That's a great point. I think part (if not all) of the reliability issue stems from the size of most .380 ACP pistols rather than the primers. Guns like my LCP II are so small it's harder to obtain the mechanical advantage necessary for enough force to ignite primers reliably. That's why my LCP II is just a pocket option when I can't conceal something else for whatever reason.

Reactions: ctr

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
My SIG P290RS and SCCY CPX-3 are both just under 21oz loaded, fairly large and heavy by modern locked-breech .380 standards, and they're both very reliable. The smaller and lighter they are, the harder they are to control properly. My LCP II is also very reliable, but I know that I have to grip the $#!+ out of it. I only carry it when maximum discretion is required.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Moving away from 380 for daily carry. They are not always reliable. Sure, they work fine for a while...until they don’t. Anyway, targets below comparing a Ruger LCP II with a Sig P238. Ruger on the left, Sig on the right. LCP shoots low and left. Both targets were at 5 yards.

View attachment 332251
Ruger looks more concentrated right right under center to me. Throw away the fliers on the bottom ring, and it is tighter too. I like my LCP original edition.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
I respect everyone's point & opinion. I'll add after all the rounds I put through the Sig P238 and the Walther PK380 I have not experienced on failure of any kind. Have I been lucky? Personally I don't believe so. I do not use reloads and the cheapest ammo I can find for target shooting and only use PrecisionOne & Fiocchi XTP for self defense. So with all that being said I have no problem having confidence in the .380 handguns I mentioned.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
My wife has an EZ .380 Smith and Wesson. She occasionally has issues with the grip safety and also with limp wristing. This is a shooter issue, not a gun issue - it seems reliable for me. Never the less, it may be that or nothing for her due to hand and arm issues. She is going to try my 9mm LCR as a last resort; it may prove to be better for her even with the tougher recoil. I think it will at least go bang for her every time.
Will 380 shoot reliable from a 9mm. LCR? That would help with recoil.

·
Registered
6,796 Posts

View attachment 332251
I'm curious though. Superimpose those targets on the center of your chest and see how they stack up. Or even center them on the tip of your nose.

5 yards is exactly the range where a 380 works for it's intended purpose.

Someone once told me, "Wisdom is knowing which is a range gun, which is a safe queen, and which can, and will save your life."

I suspect your subject might be better titled "380 PISTOLS" since the cartridge itself is not inherently inaccurate or unreliable. If it is about unreliable cartridges, the mighty .357 Magnum has destroyed a number of guns. It must be the cartridge. Yes? No?

EDIT @BeastOfBurden The Governor of Texas dispatched a coyote at close range with an LCP. We need to remember that EVERY FAILURE is ALWAYS HIGHLIGHTED. The tens of thousands of cases where the round and weapon work as designed is lost in the screaming about the failure. That is true of almost everything you can name.

Take the Space Shuttle. Can anyone provide the number of successful flights? Probably not (133). All we remember is the two failures.

Reactions: mck1975 and 10thmtn

·
Premium Member
4,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I'm curious though. Superimpose those targets on the center of your chest and see how they stack up. Or even center them on the tip of your nose.

5 yards is exactly the range where a 380 works for it's intended purpose.

Someone once told me, "Wisdom is knowing which is a range gun, which is a safe queen, and which can, and will save your life."

I suspect your subject might be better titled "380 PISTOLS" since the cartridge itself is not inherently inaccurate or unreliable. If it is about unreliable cartridges, the mighty .357 Magnum has destroyed a number of guns. It must be the cartridge. Yes? No?

EDIT @BeastOfBurden The Governor of Texas dispatched a coyote at close range with an LCP. We need to remember that EVERY FAILURE is ALWAYS HIGHLIGHTED. The tens of thousands of cases where the round and weapon work as designed is lost in the screaming about the failure. That is true of almost everything you can name.

Take the Space Shuttle. Can anyone provide the number of successful flights? Probably not (133). All we remember is the two failures.
My concern is not with the effectiveness of the .380 cartridge. I have never been, am not now, and never will be a caliber cowboy. My experience is the .380 platform is not reliable enough for my daily carry.

Reactions: Wavygravy

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
My concern is not with the effectiveness of the .380 cartridge. I have never been, am not now, and never will be a caliber cowboy. My experience is the .380 platform is not reliable enough for my daily carry.
Yeah, my point was the cartridge works just fine. I've carried a S&W Bodyguard 380 for a number of years with never any problem at all. However, none of my 380's get extensive range use. Pocket guns were never designed for thousands of rounds. They specialize in "bad breath distance" and in that, they excel. IMHO.

Reactions: mck1975 and ctr

·
Premium Member
4,357 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Yeah, my point was the cartridge works just fine. I've carried a S&W Bodyguard 380 for a number of years with never any problem at all. However, none of my 380's get extensive range use. Pocket guns were never designed for thousands of rounds. They specialize in "bad breath distance" and in that, they excel. IMHO.
The Bodyguard is a pistol I wanted to work so well. Great design, excellent size, wonderful feel. Couldn’t get it to work. Picked up a second one. No joy. I suspect my finger frequently rode the slide release.

Great pistol, just not for me.

Reactions: OldChap
21 - 35 of 35 Posts