Defensive Carry banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've shot 44 magnums from a revolver with a 6" barrel and it was fun for the first 10 rounds or so but have never shot 44 specials.
I currently own a S&W 686 357 snub and find it tolerable.
Have been considering a 4" 44 special. What's the recoil like?

·
Registered
83 Posts
In regards to caliber, bullet weight, and velocity, I'd think the .44spl would be very much like shooting a .45acp. Snappy from a small gun, not so bad from a large one.

I run .44spl through my Ruger Redhawk (7.5") and it's really, really soft in a gun that large. I can shoot specials all day long with that kind of recoil!

·
Registered
275 Posts
IMHO, .44 special has less recoil than a .357, especially out of a snubbie. I love the .44 special cartridge! Read this article...

.44 Special vs .357 for Carry
200-grain Speer GDHP factory loads from my 1991-vintage SS 3" barreled, Charter Arms Bulldog get's the bad guy's attention every time! I don't have to carry a heavy revolver in a shoulder holster all day, and the Bulldog disappears nicely beneath my sportcoat. On the other hand, a .357 Magnum in a 3" barrel of this type of handgun can buck violently and become difficult to manage.

I walk around all day in a shirt, tie, sportcoat and slacks. The Bulldog provides sufficient power and protection without being cumbersome.

I hope that this helps you in your decision.

·
Super Moderator
18,889 Posts
I have a couple of N-Frame Smith & Wesson revolvers chambered for these cartridges: a 6-inch Model 27 .357 Magnum and a 5-inch Model of 1926 .44 Special. Full power .357 Magnum loads provide a snappy, more abrupt recoil sensation than does any factory load fired through the .44 Special. Neither cartridge is too intense when fired through N-Frame revolvers though. Of course revolvers of this size offer more challenges for concealed carry.

It's easy to jazz up the .44 Special through judicious handloading. Handloads using Alliant 2400 powder that approach the "Elmer Keith" range will rattle the fillings in one's teeth when shooting them in the .44 Special.

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
The 44 spl with the right loads will recoil less than 357 mag. The sound is much easier to deal with. They can be loaded up for the right gun to within 200 fps of a 44 mag.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info........The 44special has been calling my name. :wink:

·
Registered
473 Posts
I sold my SP-101 2.25" barrel .357 mag because it was just too much to handle for repeated firings. It's not that bad shooting single action but its a bear trying to shoot double action and reaquire your sights. I miss that gun, it was fun while it lasted. The 44 special would be a great HD gun, without too much conern of super over penetration.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Thanks for the info........The 44special has been calling my name. :wink:
Do you reload? You may not like the price that comes along with shooting 44 special. YMMV.

I think that 44Spc has less recoil and much less blast than 357M when fired from revolvers of similar size and weight.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Started to buy Charter Arms Bull Dog 44sp really liked it, however the gun store did not have any 44sp ammo.

Gun without ammo, not a good idea.

Checked other gun stores but no 44sp there ether, and 45 long Colt is not out there in out neck of the woods.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Started to buy Charter Arms Bull Dog 44sp really liked it, however the gun store did not have any 44sp ammo.

Gun without ammo, not a good idea.

Checked other gun stores but no 44sp there ether, and 45 long Colt is not out there in out neck of the woods.
Check out GrizzlyCartridge. They just came out with, and are shipping, some new ammo that looks perfect for SD in a .44. I've seen pictures of the bullets and results from the tests. It is well worth ordering a box or two. This from a thread over on levergunners:

"Our new line of ammunition will be released for sale on September 17th, 2009. This is of particular interest to levergunners since the calibers include 38, 357, 44 Spl, 44 Mag and 45 Colt. Also included for the auto pistol carrier are 380, 9mm, 40 and 45 ACP. Each bullet is specific to the cartridge (not the same bullet in 38 as 357 for example). These all copper bullets were nicknamed "tarantula" by 86er. However, we have since perfected them and they open up to a flat cross. They no longer have the "tarantual legs" upon expansion. We have named them Xtreme bullets, at least for now. Each bullet goes through several CNC processes, annealling or other heat treating, and other processes to make them repeatably reliable. Amazingly, 380 ACP opens to 7/8", 9mm to 1", 45 to 1 3/16th inch. The penetration is designed to be 7-10 inches in an average sized, clothed human. This will prevent over-penetration in the majority of scenarios. We have had these tested by State ,local and Federal law enforcement and all comments have been 100% positive. You just cannot get any more lethal performance with anything else on the market. At the same time, the function is 100% in all guns we've tried it in and there is a safety factor in the penetation goals. Lastly, the powder is very low flash and the velocities are retained even in short barrel handguns. Stand by for more info or give us a call after the 17th of Sept. Thank you!

Ammunition, Ammo, Bullets, Gun and Ammunition, Rifle Ammunition, Hand Gun Ammunition
Cast Performance Bullet Company
Rainier, Oregon
(503) 556-3006 "

1 - 15 of 15 Posts