Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've noticed that manufacturers of recoil springs sell springs with different poundages for the same model guns. For example : Gun A might range from 14 to 18 lbs , Gun B from 18 to 22 lbs . What's the difference , and why ? Would you go heavier, lighter or in-between ? I've always just gone with the stock strength without really thinking about it. Could someone please school me on this topic ?
Thanks is advance.

·
Super Moderator
17,542 Posts
Generally the heavier springs are used when shooting hotter loads such as +P whereas the lighter ones are used by target shooters using very light loads.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Lighter springs also increase slide velocity and therefore resist the recoil less, = less muzzle rise\flip.

Competition Glock shooters (in 9mm) use 13lb springs with no issues its also dependant on load your running, calibre and slide length.

For a self defense handgun I would stick with factory spring as lighter springs may introduce feeding and reliability issues.

If muzzle flip control is an issue then you might want to consider things such as compensators, or perhaps a nice tac light on the end ?.

·
Banned
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I mostly shoot a .40 cal now, no problem with recoil, just curious. My wrists bother me too much after shooting a .45 all day now, getting old and worn out..lol.
This site has very helpful and very knowledgeable people. Thanks again.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Heavier weight springs generally increase reliability with normal factory ammo and PD ammo. They also reduce frame battering because of the tighter lock-up/time. The lighter springs like mentioned previously will reduce perceived recoil actually by slowing down slide velocity. There are also variable rate recoil springs. According to pistol manufacturing engineers, generally the factory rate springs are employed for the best results with a variety of tested ammo. It's been said that the flat wire captive springs seem to take a set earlier than the non-captive round wire springs for some reason.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I go by the theory of using the heaviest spring the gun will reliably function with. I've been using a 24# Wilson Combat spring in my Kimber Compact Stainless for a coupe of years with no problems. Good lock-up, and quick return to POA.

surv

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
I saw a tape featuring Bill Wilson and Ken Hackathorn in which they both recommended a 18.5# spring for the .45 1911. This of course is for a factory load. They remarked that this would allow the gun to function properly with less battering to the frame.

·
Banned
265 Posts
Ditto heylin & Ram Rod

...very nice responce!

:hand2:

·
Registered
394 Posts
The lighter springs like mentioned previously will reduce perceived recoil actually by slowing down slide velocity
:) dont you mean speeding up, less resistance in spring = faster moving slide. Apparently the slide battering issue doesnt apply to Glocks (must be because they are so well made :) ) I read up a bit about springs before going for my 13# ISMI, alot of Glock Comp shooters use the ISMI 13# and thousands of rounds later no problems with slide battering.

·
Registered
862 Posts
All depends on what your shooting and what your doing with the gun.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts