Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an SKS a few years ago and it has been great. I have no plans to part with it. But, I'm interested in something a bit more modern and maybe a bit lighter.

I want to stay with the 7.62x39 caliber because I have ammo for it. I don't really want an AK47 or variant.

Please, no 5.56 suggestions. Not my thing. I'm a "30 caliber guy."

I've heard that the AR platform rifles "adapted" for 7.62x39 aren't reliable. Input on this is also welcomed.

·
Premium Member
5,693 Posts
"Tactical Rifle" ...the term is throwing me. How about "What do you want to do with it?"

Long distance accuracy might be something. For me, especially since Fergusion, and on and off Interstate shutdowns due to protesters, something for civil unrest, likely at closer distances, that can be deployed in a vehicle, if need be, is more of a concern. In my case, something near perfect for me is an AK47 Underfolder. It can be fired while the stock is folded under, takes up little room, good capacity standard mags, etc.

So, what do you want it to be able to do?

·
Premium Member
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Tactical Rifle" ...the term is throwing me. How about "What do you want to do with it?"

Long distance accuracy might be something. For me, especially since Fergusion, and on and off Interstate shutdowns due to protesters, something for civil unrest, likely at closer distances, that can be deployed in a vehicle, if need be, is more of a concern. In my case, something near perfect for me is an AK47 Underfolder. It can be fired while the stock is folded under, takes up little room, good capacity standard mags, etc.

So, what do you want it to be able to do?
I'm basically looking for lighter weight and a more "modern" appearance. Here's my SKS with the Tapco Tactical stock and scope:

I really like it, but I'm looking for more of the AR look.

EDIT: And yes, I plan to blue the barrel at some point.

:danceban:

·
Super Moderator
18,099 Posts
I've heard that the AR platform rifles "adapted" for 7.62x39 aren't reliable. Input on this is also welcomed.
The problem is not with the rifles itself, it is with the magazine.
The taper of the case requires a curved magazine to properly feed. The only magazines that really work well are the ASC mags which are radically curved, much like that of the standard AK 47 round.

I have had several AR15's in the 7.62x39 caliber. Fact of the matter is, using standard magazines simply will not work, they wont feed reliably. In my case, a simple mag change using the ASC mags were all it took. One might note that the bolt used is also different, the bolt head is larger to accomodate the 7.62x39.

Palmetto State Armory is currently selling the upper with the bolt and it works well, provided you use the ASC magazines.

Ar15 7.62x39.jpg

This one is an SBR and currently sports a suppressor on it. The 7.62x39 SBR loses little velocity in the short barrel compared the 5.56 and is a wickedly efficient round in the short barrel.

Another option is to have one custom built. I have done several. I used the Ruger M77 7.62 x 39 as the only modification it takes is to swap out the barrel. I used a 1/8 twist with a .308 bore specifically so that I could use the 220 grain bullets. An added plus is that it shoots the 310/311 diameter bullets very well, in fact this is one of my favorite rifles due to the accuracy. It will shoot virtually any milsurp ammo very accurately. When used in the suppressed mode with subsonic ammo, it is no different than shooting a .300 Blackout, except that the case is a bit bigger, but it too does very well.

Here's a picture of my son shooting it when I first built it. Shooting Russian, Greek, Chinese, Romanian, South African, Egyptian and American ammo, as well as handloads, it actually one of the most accurate rifles that I own.

Rye Shooting the Ruger 7.62.jpg

·
Registered
681 Posts
Ruger Mini 30 but I'd rather have an AK. A lot of people swear by their Mini 30's though. Some people say they don't shoot the steel casing that well and others say they shoot it fine. My buddy just gave me 1300 rounds of 7.62x39 and I'm leaning towards an AK47.

Reactions: surefire7

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Get an AK47 and build it with the Magpul furniture. I re-built a never fired Polytech pre-ban one with US Made Timbersmith wooden furniture and some more US parts to make it 922r compliant and it came out really nice. It cost me about $700. It has the tradition look but I really wrestled with the Magpul idea because it would look more like your SKS. But the Polytech Pre-ban ones have a really heavy stamped receiver and heavier gauge parts.

·
Premium Member
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies, everyone. Now I'm seriously leaning toward an AK pistol. I didn't know such a thing existed until recently. So scratch what I said about AK variants above.

:)

·
Premium Member
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The problem is not with the rifles itself, it is with the magazine.
The taper of the case requires a curved magazine to properly feed. The only magazines that really work well are the ASC mags which are radically curved, much like that of the standard AK 47 round.

I have had several AR15's in the 7.62x39 caliber. Fact of the matter is, using standard magazines simply will not work, they wont feed reliably. In my case, a simple mag change using the ASC mags were all it took. One might note that the bolt used is also different, the bolt head is larger to accomodate the 7.62x39.

Palmetto State Armory is currently selling the upper with the bolt and it works well, provided you use the ASC magazines.

View attachment 145705

This one is an SBR and currently sports a suppressor on it. The 7.62x39 SBR loses little velocity in the short barrel compared the 5.56 and is a wickedly efficient round in the short barrel.

Another option is to have one custom built. I have done several. I used the Ruger M77 7.62 x 39 as the only modification it takes is to swap out the barrel. I used a 1/8 twist with a .308 bore specifically so that I could use the 220 grain bullets. An added plus is that it shoots the 310/311 diameter bullets very well, in fact this is one of my favorite rifles due to the accuracy. It will shoot virtually any milsurp ammo very accurately. When used in the suppressed mode with subsonic ammo, it is no different than shooting a .300 Blackout, except that the case is a bit bigger, but it too does very well.

Here's a picture of my son shooting it when I first built it. Shooting Russian, Greek, Chinese, Romanian, South African, Egyptian and American ammo, as well as handloads, it actually one of the most accurate rifles that I own.

View attachment 145721
Thanks for the insight, and this aligns with what I've been reading. I'm getting more and more interested in the AK pistol, because like someone mentioned above, this world isn't getting any safer and additional firepower (as opposed to a handgun) is always welcome.

·
Registered
9,678 Posts
Well now I have had to re join here to help ..

Ok as someone who loves and I meaan loves the x39 and 5.45 etc market I want to make sure people are happy so here is my hat into this mess

1. The mini 30 sorry wont touch it ..Mags are stuck at 20 rounds most need work to run with non brass USA ammo oh and mags are like oh 40 bucks each yeah no
2. Most of the "mutan" guns well if your are a AR fanboy sure ..Most are not set up correctly for AK mags and oh they are for the most part piston AR gas set up with russian ammo I rather not

That out of the way on to the next points AK handguns

1. They are god awfuly end of the world loud but fun ..Most are really truck guns unless you SBR it but you can at least hit something close with them
2. They are two on the market now ..The PAP yugo guns and the DRACO and then the Arsnal models ..PAP are a odd ball they have the proper hinged cover but take odd handguards and muzzle break size so bear that in mind ..The DRACO unless you are talking micro or mini or just a stock less cut down Rommian AK ..The Arsnal same story but milled not stamped and Bulgrian

3. Now BIG upside ..Due to being a handgun not a rifle they are not part of the 922r sporting or import laws ..Thus legally no need for USA parts or a neturted mag well ..So big plus down side is well handgun ..

Reactions: StormRhydr

·
Registered
9,678 Posts
Oh and get a VZ58 ..You will love it ..Light weight and a joy to shoot ...

No they are not a AK not even close different gas system etc etc ..So far from them in fact that in places that ban the AK the VZ58 is still ok like up north in Canda

·
Registered
9,678 Posts
Get an AK47 and build it with the Magpul furniture. I re-built a never fired Polytech pre-ban one with US Made Timbersmith wooden furniture and some more US parts to make it 922r compliant and it came out really nice. It cost me about $700. It has the tradition look but I really wrestled with the Magpul idea because it would look more like your SKS. But the Polytech Pre-ban ones have a really heavy stamped receiver and heavier gauge parts.
Please god tell me it was not a real pre ban but a post ban MAK90?????? If you did that to a pre ban I mean a pre 1989 rifle uh ?????????

If a pre 1989 922r DOES NOT COME INTO PLAY

That and you ruinned a good trigger on a gun

·
Registered
9,678 Posts
Also for anyone reading this thread or looking into it ..Please god ask on here before you buy a AK ..Please !

So many people have been suckered into crap and I mean crap AK and gave up on them

Please ask

For a boiler ..IO and Black horse or Hese DO NOT BUY PERIOD ..Any Century arms made not imported AK the RAS47 the C39 v1 and V2 are all CRAP and will fail quick ..The rest well please ask

Reactions: StormRhydr

·
Registered
776 Posts
I'm a big fan of the SKS but I don't try to make something of them they are not. My favorite is one I put together for a bush/survival type of rifle. Trigger has been worked by Kivaari, the bolt has been machined for a Murray's firing pin assembly, rear Tech sight has been opened up to .093 and plays well with the Prince50 front sight. Shoots great, loves stripper clips and eats any ammo I feed it. The little PKM style flash hider is surprisingly efficient. Weighs 7 lbs.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,678 Posts
Really the problem is now most non beter SKS are getting near what a AK is now .. That and clips for them good ones can be tricky now unless you get some Yugo m76 ammo and use thouse clips

The post above with that sks is a good setup if you have a beater non special SKS ( ie dont do that to a Russian or a Albian sks ) ...Make sure you dont have a rare model and oh and also keep all the parts you take off dont grind off the bayo mount etc

·
Registered
631 Posts

Picked up a mini-30, yes it is not an AK-47. If I wanted one I would of bought one.

On that note, I have a light weight rifle that is ideal to take hiking, and would have no problem using it on a black bear with proper ammo (not steel case ammo). I had a Vortex scope on it for a while, but like it better with iron sights. Your not going to win any shooting matches with this thing. Well unless the goal is to put 20; 30 caliber holes in a piece of paper.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
There's one realistic choice when you buy a 7.62x39 fighting rifle. An AK. It's been the reigning champ for basically 70 years for a reason.

If I wanted a .30cal in the AR platform, it would be an AR in .308. Not interested in .300blk due to fact that it is not very common yet and costs what .308 does without the power.

·
Registered
335 Posts
WASR 10 if you can find one cheap. Should be well under $1K, and if that's your budget you should be able to get a spam can or two of lacquered, steel cased comblock ammo as well. They come with the side mount for a scout-mount rail already attached, the barrels are usually pretty good, and they come with the Tapco G2 triggers that eliminate the trigger slap issue. The wood furniture came from unfinished pallets, but can be cleaned up. Or not, throw it around and beat it all to heck, that's what I did with mine. It was stupid reliable with the crappiest, cheapest steel case ammo I could find and never had an issue. Also grouped sub-pie plate inside 150 yards with stock irons, which is more than serviceable for a x39 'tactical rifle'.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Please god tell me it was not a real pre ban but a post ban MAK90?????? If you did that to a pre ban I mean a pre 1989 rifle uh ?????????

If a pre 1989 922r DOES NOT COME INTO PLAY

That and you ruinned a good trigger on a gun
It's a pre-ban polytech not a MAK90....I didn't need to alter the trigger. In fact nobody makes a trigger system for it. The Chinese AK disconnector has a different lip on the back of the assembly than any of the European variants so the Tapco trigger won't fit. But it did have the ugly plastic thumbhole stock and the foregrip was cracked and plastic. So I have US furniture and magazines and screwed on a muzzle flash guard (tapco) so I have <10 parts. My 2A attorney told me to make it 922r compliant if I was changing any furniture. (avoid any ATF issues).

I can always buy original furniture and the magazines and screw back on the factory flash hider to make it original. But the Chinese furniture sucks. The Timbersmith set I got was really old on a closeout for $90 in a beat up box but is really nice redwood with deep grain and excellent finish. I don't have the bayonet but you can get them and the internal parts from Polytech. They also make a USA gas piston that is the original spec.

But if you want to get really nice custom top of the line AK furniture that is 922r compliant look here: http://www.ironwooddesigns.com/IWDHome.html

Just a note to the curious: My 2A attorney recommended if you are building or modifying an AK variant from original that it is highly recommended you choose 922r compliant parts to avoid any issues surrounding compliance from anyone who might be claiming that your rifle is post ban and in violation. This is a very rare occurrence but has happened and it is an expensive proposition to fight it legally if your rifle gets seized. So if you are able to count off 6 compliant parts right on the spot you are usually good to go so to speak. If you don't want to do that then it is advisable to contact the original importer (if possible) and get documentation showing when and where your rifle was imported.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts