Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm a young female and I work in a pharmacy. I open and close prescription bottles at least 500 times a day and they almost all have child safety lids on them. Lately it's taken a toll on my hands and by the end of the week I have very poor grip strength and my right hand aches. Can y'all recommend a gun thats small enough to conceal but doesn't have a lot of recoil? I tried out an M&P shield and I felt like the grip was too thin. I was okay at shooting it but the recoil was too much and I didn't like it lol. I DONT want a revolver (not fun to bring to the range IMO). My budget is around 400$. I'm 5 8" and I have long fingers and I've noticed a longer fuller grip helps. I wish I could just open carry but corporate frowns upon guns. After some homeless guy trying to break into our cars and some creepy heroin addict hanging around the store at night you better believe I'm going to carry!

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
The heavier the gun, the lesser recoil you feel. For your purpose, I think the Springfield XDS 4.0 in 9mm Luger is worth consideration. It's about as thin as the Shield, but it has an interchangeable backstrap that could make it fit your hand better. The 4" barrel makes it considerably heavier than the Shield, so the felt recoil would be noticeably less. Since you have a 4" barrel, I recommend Liberty Civil Defense 55 grain 9mm ammo. The light bullet further reduces recoil, while still maintaining terminal energy through high speed (2000 fps).

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
If you have a permit to carry you may want to look at NC statute 14-415.11 and in particular, item (c)(8).

As said in the post above, weight is a big part of perceived recoil. Not to flog a horse on life support but a Glock 19 has filled the requirements for a lot of people who carry concealed.

I'd also recommend that you not rule out a revolver just because it's "not fun to bring to the range". They are usually easier to conceal, have reliability that's hard to beat, and for many easier to shoot.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Consider the Ruger LC380. It is the same size as the LC9 but fires the less powerful (but still potent) .380 ACP cartridge.

Also may want to look at the Sig P250 Subcompact in .380. Luckygunner has an interesting article on this pistol for the first time gun owner. Again, the .380 recoil is not that stout and the double action only trigger is long but very smooth. Given it's modularity, you can switch it to a 9mm compact or full size for home defense/nightstand gun.

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
Thanks for your question. I would suggest you're going about it in the wrong way. Maybe it would behoove you to invent or create a prescription bottle closing device. It might just be as simple as taking a block of wax and forming it around a rubber bottle opening pad such that you are using your palm and not your fingers to close the bottles. You might investigate within your industry for a device that actually exists which might allow you to do multiple closings with an alignment of bottles while still being safe and sanitary.

As many have said you can't have 'small' and 'low recoil' all in one. Smaller means more energy to be absorbed by you since the gun absorbs less.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Consider the Ruger LC380. It is the same size as the LC9 but fires the less powerful (but still potent) .380 ACP cartridge.
I was just about to chime in with this. My step mother has worked as bartender for most of her life and it has taken a toll on her hand strength as well. My father started with an LCP for her (which in hindsight was a poor idea, but now I have an LCP) and after taking her to my LGS, she walked out with the LC380. The pinky extension gives you a three finger grip and any grip sleeve that fits the LC9(s) will fit it as well should you require a fatter grip.

It is DAO and the trigger pull, though smooth, is quite long. She has no problem racking it and it has yet to malfunction in any way (close to 200rds). Recoil is non-existent as far as I'm concerned. Worth a look IMO.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Walther CCP 9mm. Single stack with excellent ergonomics. Has unique gas delayed blowback action that equates to lower recoil and a slide that is much easier to rack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you have a permit to carry you may want to look at NC statute 14-415.11 and in particular, item (c)(8).

As said in the post above, weight is a big part of perceived recoil. Not to flog a horse on life support but a Glock 19 has filled the requirements for a lot of people who carry concealed.

I'd also recommend that you not rule out a revolver just because it's "not fun to bring to the range". They are usually easier to conceal, have reliability that's hard to beat, and for many easier to shoot.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
In regard to the NC statute above, I live in NC and haven't seen any pharmacies that are posted, but I usually go to CVS. I ALWAYS carry when I have to go in a pharmacy.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Get training from a good FEMALE instructor. Then follow...her suggestions! (yet the Walther CCP is worth a look). :biggrin2:

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
You might want handle a Bersa thunder or the larger grip high capacity 15 round Thunder 380 Plus . The thunder plus will fill a larger hand . The pistol is a DA /SA trigger so the first pull of the trigger is heavier but it can be cocked for range time if needed then a short 4.5lb sa trigger pull for all other rounds . Price is in your budget new . Easy to shoot well and carry at 20oz empty . Good pistol . Ammo from underwood will give it a bit more power for defensive needs . Hard to saya few fast well place shoots from a 380 would take down a bad guy with plenty in reserve if needed .

Bersa also has a T9 UC Pro 9mm and Taurus has a best buy PT111g2 9mm 21ox double stack that's fits m&p9c holsters that has good reviews by folks and can be bought in the mid to upper 200 dollar range .
The Taurus has a good trigger 12 round cap and will use sig p226 high capacity mags as back up .

IF your in western NC your welcome to get with my wife and daughters and try what we have and its a bunch for a carry pistols between us . Were in Burnsville NC

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
.380 would suit you well.
for a longer, fuller grip you might look at a Beretta 84.
I have the Browning version of the 84 and it's a smooth shooter, plus it
has a larger capacity mag than most 380s.
Beretta_84F-JH01.jpg

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
.380 would suit you well.
for a longer, fuller grip you might look at a Beretta 84.
I have the Browning version of the 84 and it's a smooth shooter, plus it
has a larger capacity mag than most 380s.
[iurl="http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=156417&d=1475173433"]
[/iurl]
I was drooling over that gun yesterday and then my heart broke a little when I saw the price. :-/ took me a few weeks just to save up for my CC permit and ammo for my other gun to practice with (Ruger 22/45 lite)

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
380 acp pistol that is not Micro would be a good idea .. Bersa BPCC 380acp .... Kahr CW380 Glock 42's used can be found at nice prices

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You might want handle a Bersa thunder or the larger grip high capacity 15 round Thunder 380 Plus . The thunder plus will fill a larger hand . The pistol is a DA /SA trigger so the first pull of the trigger is heavier but it can be cocked for range time if needed then a short 4.5lb sa trigger pull for all other rounds . Price is in your budget new . Easy to shoot well and carry at 20oz empty . Good pistol . Ammo from underwood will give it a bit more power for defensive needs . Hard to saya few fast well place shoots from a 380 would take down a bad guy with plenty in reserve if needed .

Bersa also has a T9 UC Pro 9mm and Taurus has a best buy PT111g2 9mm 21ox double stack that's fits m&p9c holsters that has good reviews by folks and can be bought in the mid to upper 200 dollar range .
The Taurus has a good trigger 12 round cap and will use sig p226 high capacity mags as back up .

IF your in western NC your welcome to get with my wife and daughters and try what we have and its a bunch for a carry pistols between us . Were in Burnsville NC

I've actually been looking at the Bersa Thunder the most lately since it's the only one in my price range that meets my criteria. One of the first handguns I shot was a Taurus compact .40. It was so terrible that I was almost turned off from all handguns until I shot Ruger mark III and thought "okay, this is kinda fun!" Anyways, I haven't looked at another Taurus since then which is really ignorant of me and I need to get over it hahaha. And I just bought a house with my boyfriend out in the country in Iredell county (not sure how close that is to you) we just joined an outdoor range just 10 minutes from our house and it's awesome

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
I would look hard at a Colt 45 1911 government model, just kidding. I think its range time with an female instructor. They can help you better then most. If not rent a few of the suggestion that have been given.

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
Bersa are good guns for the money. I was at my LGS yesterday, and they had a lightly used one for sale with a nice leather holster. The only thing that stopped me from buying it was the price of 380 ammo.

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
kelless88 Yea you might not like a 40sw in a handgun twice as heavy and far larger as a new shooter . A 40sw is about the harshest cartridge on new shooters out there .

Its hard to guess what a person can shoot and enjoy enough to learn to shoot it well .. I can't say some I carry are enjoyable but they serve and need so you suck it up and shoot it , maybe not as many rounds at a settin as a large handgun !! My wife and two girls for all started with 380's as carry pistols . Bersa seems to be a get fit for many . My wife picked out the smaller Bersa 380CC as there first carry pistol , then as she moved on to a 9mm my oldest daughter learned with it and carried it for a while befor claiming one of mine as hers .I did not see happening , kahr cw9 . harsh recoil with +P ammo , hard to rack for many but she has stayed with it and is her EDC . My wife moved to the bigger bersa thunder plus for more rounds then to a m&p9c . My youngest got her start with that ole bersa CC a couple years later , liked it and bought her own then a Taurus pt111g2 when it came out a couple years ago . Both girls have full size 40sw double stacks as house guns , my wife has a m&p core 9mm as hers but the best part is I picked out none of them .

Some gun ranges will have rentals and if slow will let your try what they have with in a cartridge like 380 or 9mm . Gives you a chance to try a number of different handguns . At least it can work to reduce size and cartridge for carry .

Your around 2 hours away + or - a bit . 1.5 hrs from hickory-40/hi-321 area for sure . I-40 to marion , up to spruce pine then over to burnsville !! Google- Prices Creek general Store and were 1/3rd mile away . Best little gun shop in NC !! really . They display 400 to 450 firearms beside everything else for farm or work .

Offers still open if you find it hard to reduce your choice , bring the boyfriend along and we get him hooked too if he not already . Between the family members we can pull together about 10 or 11 380 and 9mm carry sized hands to try out and since I reload , ammo 's not an issue for NC folk and a future CC'er .

Got go check the garden so I'm done for the night . Let me know if we can help , be glad too .

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
I've actually been looking at the Bersa Thunder the most lately since it's the only one in my price range that meets my criteria. One of the first handguns I shot was a Taurus compact .40. It was so terrible that I was almost turned off from all handguns until I shot Ruger mark III and thought "okay, this is kinda fun!" Anyways, I haven't looked at another Taurus since then which is really ignorant of me and I need to get over it hahaha. And I just bought a house with my boyfriend out in the country in Iredell county (not sure how close that is to you) we just joined an outdoor range just 10 minutes from our house and it's awesome
Mrs Thin's favorite gun is our Thunder 380, hers is in nickle. It's her bedside gun. Great shooter, Not bad recoil, easy to rack the slide, and well within your budget.

Reactions: dangerranger
1 - 20 of 95 Posts