Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am presently reviewing options for a handgun. My criteria are as follows:

1. Conceal carry possible, holstered and believe 3.5 to 4.5 in barrel the max.
2. usable by wife and self. Fairly small hands. That said I don't like the shorter grip type.
3.Two safeties since young children in the house though it will be secured in a safe.
4.Believe 9mm best overall for recoil etc.
5. Ambidextrous
6. reasonable quality and accuracy and below $600.00 to 650.00

So far I have looked at Springfield XD, Ruger, Walter, Glock and Sig which is somewhat out of that price limit. Liked the safeties and feel of the Springfield, and overall the Walter and Ruger. Kind of like buying a car. Too many choices and variants so hope I can narrow the field using the experience of those who have gone through this process.

Thanks to all.:confused:

·
Registered
30 Posts
My SA XD9 Service meets those requirements,though I have not carried it yet(still waiting for permit),so I can't personally comment on how it carries.The XD9SC would be worth a look.I'm also considering the Walther PPS 9mm for carry.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I'd take a look at the SW M&P9 also. It behaves similar to a glock.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
It looks like you're focusing on semi-autos. For small hands, the single stacks work, Kahr makes some of the best (CW9) but capacity is more limited. I use the Kahr PM40 for back up, but it has more recoil than a 9. I like XD's a lot. The Glock 26 can make a good back up, for later, too. Generally, the hand will accomodate any type grip if held and used often enough and long enough. The really tiny guns are a bit more difficult to shoot, but they're sure easier to carry (Kel-Tec PF9, P11, Rohrbach, Kahr PM9.) It's almost a neverending search to find the perfect carry gun, house gun, range gun, target gun, hunting gun.....my one gun for everything right now might be the Kimber Ultra CDP with the 22 conversion kit, but tomorrow ask me again.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
First of all, Welcome to the forum. I would seriously look at the G19, XDm and the M&P. My wife has extremely small hands and she can handle the G19, just fine.

I don't really understand #3 on your list. If the gun is either going to be on your person, or in a safe, the need for redundant safeties is unnecessary... If you are uncomfortable with the gun because of your experience, then I suggest you and the Mrs. look into some SD training classes. They will make both of you more confident and they are a lot of fun...

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Not quite sure what you mean by this. :icon_neutral:

"Two safeties since young children in the house though it will be secured in a safe."

Most handguns only have ONE manual safety , many have NONE,
but DO have mechanisms to prevent unintentional firing.

Example - Colt 1911 - one MANUAL Safety
Glock NO Manual safeties.

I suggest you shoot some handguns at a range with an instructor present before buying any gun.

:wave:

·
Premium Member
24,508 Posts
Don't leave the CZ 85 off your list. Basically an ambidextrous version of the CZ 75.

·
Registered
829 Posts
You can have a "manual safety" installed on the glock, it becomes an on/off switch. XD have grip safety and they both have the trigger thing. Taurus has the safeties also... The guns you listed were all double action so they have longer trigger pulls and you can get a glock with a new york trigger which takes it to around 7.5-8 lbs I think they come 5.5-6 (check me on that I am not a glock aficianado and I cant spell aficianado). I have small hands and the glocks are ok for me, I have trouble carrying a double stack backup mag more than concealing the pistol. If she may carry it take her concealment methods into consideration. I have the KT PF9 and you could get 2 for the 600 bucks or pretty close and each have one and have the same ammo and mags!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I have a G19 and a G26....but I understand the desire for a safety so I would go with a SA XD9 as I like the grip safety better than a thumb safety.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Take a look at the Springfield XD Subcompact in 9mm.

Better for small hands than a full-sized XD.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am presently reviewing options for a handgun. My criteria are as follows:

3.Two safeties since young children in the house though it will be secured in a safe.

Thanks to all.:confused:
First of all, if I didn't think I could secure a gun away from small children, I would not keep them in the house at all (or guns either).

The only pistol with two safeties that I can think of is a 1911, but I don't think the grip safety would do anything to stop a child from discharging it. The most difficult to activate safety (that I know of) would be a Baby Desert Eagle from Magnum Research (tight safety with a very small lever).

Otherwise, a K9, M&Pc or an HK P2000 would be nice. The HK would be a little out of your price range. You can get the M&P with a thumb safety. All three are ambidextrous and good for small hands. I had an XD subcompact and it is harder to conceal than the others, it is very wide and blocky.

I wholeheartedly agree with TX-JB about the SD training. I understand your priorities, but I don't believe there are enough manual safeties on any gun to childproof it. The gun needs to go from the safe, to the holster, to back in the safe.

·
Banned
1,972 Posts
I would look at a bersa thunder .380

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
You have just described the Walther PPS. Thin, Reliable, adjustable back straps, easy recoil, great for small hands and finally, the back strap can be removed thus rendering the gun completely safe. Not that I would recommend it but you could remove the back strap when the gun is chambered and loaded and it will not be operable until the strap is replaced. I love mine. 100% German. 100% Precision. 100% Reliable.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You have just described the Walther PPS. Thin, Reliable, adjustable back straps, easy recoil, great for small hands and finally, the back strap can be removed thus rendering the gun completely safe. Not that I would recommend it but you could remove the back strap when the gun is chambered and loaded and it will not be operable until the strap is replaced. I love mine. 100% German. 100% Precision. 100% Reliable.
I was basically gonna say this^

Reading your wants and needs it really sounds to me like you are looking for a 9mm Walther PPS. And why wouldn't you be? Its a great gun.

·
Registered
57 Posts
You need to shoot as many different guns as possible before making a decision. Given your criteria, I would suggest that you try an M&P 9 compact.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts