Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't carried very long but I've been around weapons (retired military) for most of my life, still, I'd like to read up on civilian concealed carry. I was wondering if you folks could give me your recommendations on the best 5 or just the top 3 books on this subject that you'd recommend to someone in my shoes. I won't be able to attend formal training as much as I would certainly like to but I think reading some books might at least help create a "right" mind set and give me some ideas on how I might prepare myself even better for this great responsibility.

your opinions would be appreciated!

Thanks

Gideon

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Gideon,

Not sure if any one book is a definitive work - you probably think same and so want a few.

I tend to read stuff and ''take'' out what I find useful, which may mean that parts of some books are less than useful.

Brian S. Williams' book "Welcome to the Real World'' is one I got quite recently and have yet to finish it - I am on about 3 books at once right now! My impression tho is that this is a very handy book, in particular for those new to carry. Gives much info and food for thought.

Then too I think it is worth reading ''Into the Kill Zone'' by David Klinger - a cop's writings on the deadly force issue.

I also have but have not read it much yet - ''Ragnars Urban Survival" - not really a carry book but it does have some handy ideas for coping in emergencies etc - bit ''survivalist'' perhaps.

Anyways - the first two - I do suggest you consider. Some may also suggest one of Mas' Ayoob's books.

·
1943 - 2009
10,368 Posts
I would also recommend the Concealed Handgun Manual by Chris Bird.

You can buy it at Borders, Amazon, or the NRA Store.

·
Registered
99 Posts
In the Gravest Extreme Massad Ayoob

Principles of Personal Defense Col. Jeff Cooper

No Second Place Winner Bill Jordan

Parts of these books are dated, particulay as to ammo and firearms selection. The basic pricnciples and skills presented are still valid.

Rob

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Captain Crunch said:
I would also recommend the Concealed Handgun Manual by Chris Bird.

You can buy it at Borders, Amazon, or the NRA Store.
Thought i left one out when i was posting i second this book it is a very good book

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for the recommendations. Nothing replaces real training but how we think does affect actions and reading can certainly affect our thinking.

thanks again for the help!

Gideon

·
Registered
835 Posts
I see you're in MO, I _Highly_ recommend Kevin Jamison's book - Missouri Weapons and Self-Defense Law. Should be handed out at all MO CCW classes, IMHO.

For gun related fiction, Unintended Concequences by John Ross.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'll second In the Gravest Extreme and would like to add The Truth about Self Protection which is also by Massad Ayoob. It's a broad coverage of the subject including such things as burglar alarms, dogs, combatives as well as guns and knives.

Gabe Suarez book on Interactive Gunfighting. It describes just how to run a training session with one or more training partners using airsoft guns. Just reading it doesn't do much good (other than learning how to run such a training regimine) but if the knowledge imparted is then applied in the form of some force on force activity, it will be a real eye opener. If you can't take the class, get the DVD. If you can take the class, take it and get the DVD

Along with Gabe's FOF book, his Close Range Gunfighting DVD should be added to the list.

Finally, Ayoob's firearm safety video that he runs before the range session at LFI should be included and viewed on a regular basis; it's not your every day gun safety lecture.

·
Registered
742 Posts
RobL hit a home run...yes I could add others, but could live well and long on those three books. :))

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Believe it or not I have found Armed & Female by Paxton Quigley to be a great resource! She is a former STRIDENT anti who saw the light and went full bore 180 degrees in the other direction. Now she's a progun author and a firearms instructor. Some great insights in this book. She's been trained by some real pros.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I'd highly recommend Gabe's book "The Combative Perspective: The Thinking Man's Guide to Self-Defense" --- it's not a tactics book, it's more like Cooper's Principles of Personal Defense. Great ideas and well worth reading and re-reading.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I will have to say anything that has been written by Gabe Suarez or Jeff Cooper.I have a number of books by those two guys.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts