Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have an informal "agreement" with my lovely wife to limit my gun buying (excluding my defense pistols: which are a p226,p229 and a j frame.) to 8 other pistols, and 2 long guns. (10 fun guns). I have chosen to have four 9MM, four 45s an AR and and a shot gun.

So I currently have space for 2 9MM, and 1 45 and a shotgun. I currently own a beretta 92G, HK VP9 in 9MM and a 1911, FNX 45 and Sig P227 in 45.

Would love to hear 9 and 45 recommendations to fill the void.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
My suggestion: get a new wife.:)

For my "fun" guns I like to have different calibers/types: e.g. revolvers, hammer, striker, etc. But, it looks like you want to stick with the two calibers. If not for self defense, then it depends on what you would consider "fun". Most of the ones you already have are hammer fired. Perhaps you need another striker fired or two. A Glock (in 9mm or .45) would be a good candidate, but I'm sure no one else would recommend those. If you're looking for something very different, you could go with something like a baby Desert Eagle in .45. Really hard to say without knowing what you are looking for.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My suggestion: get a new wife.:)

For my "fun" guns I like to have different calibers/types: e.g. revolvers, hammer, striker, etc. But, it looks like you want to stick with the two calibers. If not for self defense, then it depends on what you would consider "fun". Most of the ones you already have are hammer fired. Perhaps you need another striker fired or two. A Glock (in 9mm or .45) would be a good candidate, but I'm sure no one else would recommend those. If you're looking for something very different, you could go with something like a baby Desert Eagle in .45. Really hard to say without knowing what you are looking for.
I am open to striker and hammer trigger systems. I do prefer Da/Sa for home defense pistols however.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
I like Smith and Wesson M&P series. M&P 45 shoots good gives you 10 plus 1 of 45acp. I have been carrying both M&P 9 and M&P 9 compact. Great guns they can share the larger mag for the full size 9mm.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Glock 21 45 auto, FNS 9L (long slide) or compact. And of course the standard suggestion of the G17 or G19.

Can't go wrong with a Mossberg 500 or 590 12 gauge shotgun.

Colt 6920 AR-15 is a simple answer.

And the bonus gun you didn't request is a Springfield M1A! Everyone needs a hard hitting .308!

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
G19

Some type of 9mm 1911

Some type of .45 1911

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
If it is something you would like to be able to carry, I'd consider the P30SK 9mm in LEM configuration so you can use compact and full size mags.

For .45 I'm very partial to my XDMs and for the same reason as the 9mm above I'd go with the Compact so you can use compact and full size mags.

·
Registered
20,022 Posts
You need a coach gun, S&W M10, and a Cz75

·
Premium Member
36,695 Posts
So I have an informal "agreement" with my lovely wife to limit my gun buying (excluding my defense pistols: which are a p226,p229 and a j frame.) to 8 other pistols, and 2 long guns. (10 fun guns). I have chosen to have four 9MM, four 45s an AR and and a shot gun.

So I currently have space for 2 9MM, and 1 45 and a shotgun. I currently own a beretta 92G, HK VP9 in 9MM and a 1911, FNX 45 and Sig P227 in 45.

Would love to hear 9 and 45 recommendations to fill the void.

Ask your wife what you should buy.

·
Super Moderator
19,873 Posts
Your armory is lacking a .22 handgun of some flavor; I recommend a SA auto such as Ruger Mk II/III/IV or a Buckmark or a S&W 41, OR a revolver along the lines of a S&W K-22 (Model 17 or 617) or the new Ruger .22 GP100.

For a shotgun, your big decision is between the safety located on the stock tang (e.g., Mossberg) or on the trigger guard (Remington, Winchester). Neither one is more "logical" than the other; it comes down to what works for you.

I also think you are over-biasing your armory to handguns. With a shotgun and an AR, what you need is a recreational/survival rimfire long gun such as a Ruger 10/22 or a good bolt gun like the CZ 455 or the Ruger American Rifle.

And with your "agreement" with your wife, what limits apply to her - handbags, shoes, clothing, cosmetics, etc.?

·
Premium Member
2,534 Posts
I own, carry and shoot Springfield XD models in 45 and 9mm. Not the prettiest, but I shoot them so much better than Glocks. Reliable and accurate. Subcompact in 9mm, compact in 45.

Also agree with ALL of gassmitty's recommendations!

Reactions: philly01

·
Registered
9,889 Posts
Frankly when I hear fun gun I think fun

Me if I had the HD and carry bases covered would dive into my fav hobby pre ban guns ..Get a nice Clayco a nice KG9 open bolt pistol etc etc ..Something that is fun and will hold its value not some 500 buck glock or AR that will ? on value ..I see AR going down ..A open bolt mac10 or KG9 eh iffy ...

Reactions: msgt/ret

·
Registered
9,889 Posts

Fun?

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
I have started looking at the used gun section of LGS to see what I can find instead of new guns. I found like new Colt Defender 9mm for under $600. Shoots great. I don't go looking for any one gun. I didn't want to limit myself to saying this is the gun I want. The few used guns I have bought I am able to get my money back out of them if I trade or sell.

·
Registered
6,363 Posts
Glock 26/19 and a G-30s ought to round you out nicely!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts