1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
36,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
My only issues is the Judge ...With 45lc or 45ACP if the smith model it makes a fine carry gun ..And as a plus they make heavy loads only for it due its long chamber ..

A first gun based on it being a "shotgun" yes .. But loaded with a decent 45lc I would say a good gun ..And the grips on the Judge tame the kick pretty good ...

But yeah J frame etc not a good first gun ..Or any light frame non rim fire wheel gun

·
Premium Member
8,131 Posts
No one told me that a j frame wasn't a good first gun. My first gun was a used j frame 5 shot - an old S&W Chief's special. I expected to learn to shoot well. So I did. It was NOT a featherweight, though. That would have been a disaster.

I WISH I still had that gun! It seems to take time to learn "Never part with a gun you really like!"

·
Super Moderator
18,789 Posts
Yea G. Cunningham!

I emphatically agree with each and every sub-topic in his article.

Thanks for posting, Mike.

Reactions: AzQkr and Mike1956

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
My wife and sister started with j frames. It is still their preferred gun. They shoot them well. They both have several guns now. The j frame remains their favorite.

Reactions: ShooterGranny

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Glock 19.

Reactions: niks

·
Super Moderator
22,274 Posts
Excellent article, thanks Mike. :hand2:

A question though, isn't that article written by Warren Wilson?

·
Super Moderator
18,789 Posts
Hey. You're right, Dan.

January 2, 2017/6 Comments/in Blog /by Warren Wilson

·
Premium Member
36,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Excellent article, thanks Mike. :hand2:

A question though, isn't that article written by Warren Wilson?
Yes, Grant Cunningham linked it on his site. I linked from there.

·
Registered
6,374 Posts
Great article and I agree 100%! I have always encouraged my students to not purchase a gun then come to training! I have a variety of guns I can let my students use then after the class they can make an informed decision. J-frames and very small .380's is what I see a lot of uninformed beginners purchase. I really like the S&W Mod 10 & Mod 15's for beginners! With .38 wadcatters most anybody can shoot them with with very little difficulty! (*This is not the advice that beginners will ususally hear from the typical gun store counter person!)

Reactions: Old Man

·
Banned
2,462 Posts
I think the article used about every cliche I've heard regarding shotguns, revolvers, and smaller carry guns. I agree with the article, but there are people defending themselves just fine with shotguns, judges, j frames, and small carry guns, some of which are first time buyers.

·
Premium Member
36,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think the article used about every cliche I've heard regarding shotguns, revolvers, and smaller carry guns. I agree with the article, but there are people defending themselves just fine with shotguns, judges, j frames, and small carry guns, some of which are first time buyers.
Sure, and there are lottery winners, too. That doesn't make spending one's paycheck on scratch-offs a plan to recommend.

·
Banned
2,462 Posts
Sure, and there are lottery winners, too. That doesn't make spending one's paycheck on scratch-offs a plan to recommend.
If winning the lottery was as easy as learning to shoot a smaller gun, or aim a shotgun, I think you'd see a lot more people advocate spending part of one's paycheck on tickets.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
"Novice" may perhaps be the most nebulous part. 'Cuz very few folks (especially "grown" men) can't EVER be honest and/or objective enough to admit that...they ARE one! While a rare someone may be a "born shooter" (reflexes, eyesight, temperament, athleticism, etc.) there is NO ONE who has a predisposed, innate talent of defending themselves with a firearm. I agree with the suggestion of making the FIRST part of the learning process to be listening & following the advice on handgun purchase from an experienced gunfighter. And that works best AFTER the gunfighter...has evaluated your skill set. :yup:

Reactions: G-man* and Mike1956

·
Registered
10,306 Posts
He makes some good points. I tend to think that a double-stack striker pistol in 9mm is probably the best starter gun for most folks.

However, it should be recognized that not everybody is going to follow the ideal path. Split times and 12-yard groups aren't the only things to consider. For example, if what a novice really needs is a gun that fits in his pocket, with his most likely use being to jam the barrel into an attacker's rib cage, then a .38 snubby is what he should probably buy. A service-caliber pistol may speed the development of marksmanship, but doesn't help the novice defend himself if it's at home in the lockbox.

·
Registered
9,340 Posts
I'm teaching my 19 year old grand daughter to shoot. She likes my G19 gen 4. Next time out I'm going to have her shoot my G26 and LCR in 38 +P also. I don't think she can purchase a firearm till she's 21(?). But when the time she does I'll suggest she also look into the SS9s that are so popular

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
20,097 Posts
It was an OK read. Agreed with most of his points, but a multidimensional topic with one sided commentary.....as most are.

Reactions: Havok and Nakyak

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
GMan, that's the difference between "commentary" and...GOSPEL. :biggrin2:
Opinions are like belly buttons, we've all got 'em and they're ALL full-a' LINT!

Reactions: LeanHard and G-man*

·
Registered
20,097 Posts
GMan, that's the difference between "commentary" and...GOSPEL. :biggrin2:
Opinions are like belly buttons, we've all got 'em and they're ALL full-a' LINT!
Yeah, I mean, it was a decent article for what it was meant to be; short, and hitting the basics.

I guess I'm just a little more pragmatic in my thinking about things.

While I agree that the j frame is a hard monkey for a new shooter to learn on, I've also long held the opinion that the 1911 and Glock style pistols are better suited to professional or more experienced shooters for carry purposes.

Much really depends on the novice.

Reactions: ghost tracker
1 - 20 of 31 Posts