Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased an M&P AR in a .22 cal. I'm going to use it to shoot red squirrels. It came with a red dot sight with no magnification. I shoot them at about 60-70 yards with a scoped .22 now. Will I still be able to hit them with the red dot out that far? Or should I put a scope on it? Also what about a magnifier with the red dot would that work.

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
I'd run a scope in that situation. I shoot squirrel at close to that distance too with a Marlin bolt gun, and I can't imagine trying to hit something that small with a red dot at that range. Even just a 3x would be plenty.

Think of it this way, would you hunt them at that range with iron sights? If not, a scope is the way to go.

ETA: A magnifier would likely help and hurt at the same time. Not only does it magnify your target, but also the dot. That could block out something as small as a squirrel.

1,458 Posts
That is a great question. For that I would pass on a red dot for the reasons above. I would look at decent rimfire scopes on the market (either fixed power, 2-7x, or 2-9x). Another great option, but more expensive would be to get a 1-4 or 1-6x power scope with an illuminated reticle. I personally think this is the best of both worlds, and if the battery dies you end up with just a standard scope reticle.

-Clay

·
Super Moderator
19,885 Posts
I'd opt for a scope as well. Red dots get you on target quickly, but the size of the dot limits precision. Most of the "affordable" red dots are in the 3-4 MOA dot size, which at 60-70 yards means the dot is effectively 2 inches or larger, which would obscure most of a red squirrel's head.

I've gone back and forth between a 3 MOA RDS and a 3-9x32 scope on a 10/22 I use for a steel match at my club. I can shoot like a house on fire and knock down plates inside of 25 yards using the RDS, but there's a devilish plate rack with a dozen "lollipop" plates of different shapes and none bigger than 2" in diameter. With that rack at 35 yards, I struggle to make hits in a reasonable time. Thus my optic of choice most of the time is the scope. FWIW, I use a Leapers "Bug Buster" compact scope (on that gun) which comes with a pretty good QD mount. The crosshairs are a bit on the heavy side for target work, but if you're shooting into leaves and trees, you won't lose the crosshairs in the visual "noise."

·
Super Moderator
18,144 Posts
I use a scope to scan the trees. A bit of fur, maybe a tail waving in the breeze...stuff that you'll never see with a red dot.
A scope can be the difference of coming home with a limit (12) or not.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bushnell AR Optics 2-7x32 Rimfire Scope. This is what I got. I don't need any thing fancy just something that will work for me and for as much as I shoot this will do.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
A Nikon P22 works really well on my 15-22.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
I have both on different guns. My main AR has a Vortex Sparc 2 which is great out to 50 yds or so (with my tired eyes). I also have a UTG 1-4.5x illuminated reticle for longer distance shooting. If you only have the one rifle, it would depend on your usage which to buy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts