Defensive Carry banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone currently have a red dot sight on their defensive pistol? I am considering adding one as my eyes have aged. I have shot with several at the range and clearly more accurate than irons at CQC distances.
Would like hear from others that have put this technology into their defensive pistols.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I have two (though technically red triangle). One on an XDM OSP 4.5" 9mm and the other on a milled slide of an XDM 3.8 Compact 45 ACP. I'm toying with the carrying of the 3.8 Compact with the Deltapoint Pro on it but need to find the right holster for it. Appears Ryan Grizzle can do a hybrid between the CB and the HC holsters.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I do not own a pistol that has the cut for a RMR setup, but it's definitely a accepted practice now with the reliability and track record behind these new sights. I don't think you will find many people who regularly have the option to shoot with a quality red dot and not choose it over iron sights.

I don't see many downsides other then the lense getting muddy or lack of training and hunting for the dot. Find your front sight and the red dot should be there. Go for it I say.

·
Registered
10,138 Posts
Yep agree go for it ..Just rember to train with it and get use to carrying it

I have use FN 45 Tac models with a RMR and it was very nice esp with running a silencer on it

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
If your willing to put the time in to train with one it is a big help accuracy wise IMO. The biggest advantage I see is more accuracy via the red dot. It is finer than iron sights , and makes for tighter groups.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Had one. It's been moved to another system. What I found is that even without picking up the dot framing the target in the sight (Window Of Death or TV Of Death, sometimes I saw it called) gets you a good acceptable group at close range. At longer range it is very very useful.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
They're getting smaller. The battery life is increasingly longer. The components are more durable. More slides are being milled for them. And old eyes only have to focus on a single focal-plane (distance). Seems like a good idea to me! :yup:

Reactions: ColoradoDiablo

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
The benefit to all is not having to adjust your eyes as much when being awoken from a slumber in the middle of the night.

·
Registered
38 Posts
So if you have on if these do you just leave on low all the time. I wouldn't think you'd want the extra step of turning it on.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
No. Mine shuts off when it does not detect movement.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a Trijicon RMR on my HK VP9 and a Burris FFL on my Beretta PX4 Compact. I managed to find dovetail mounts that allowed me to mount the sight without needing to have the slide milled. I had cataract surgery a few years back and chose to have mono-vision so my left eye only focuses near and my right only focuses distance. This caused problems with aiming, I could either see the target clearly or the sites clearly. On top of that, sometimes my eyes would fight over which eye to use, I basically was point shooting and was getting really frustrated because I couldn't seem to increase my accuracy. I bought a cheap red dot and rail off Amazon and it was like OMG I could see the dot and target perfectly and could now have both eyes open. It has definitely been worth the cost to me and I will be adding dots to any guns I purchase

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Any concerns about the time it takes to acquire the target? I.e. Looking for the dot vs say a laser.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Any concerns about the time it takes to acquire the target? I.e. Looking for the dot vs say a laser.

Much easier and quicker to acquire wit a red dot over a laser. Most people I've observed are slower with a laser over iron sights even.

Reactions: CDRGlock

·
Administrator
144,732 Posts
Laser VS Dot Optic.
Two completely different animals.
Regarding the proper use of a laser, you do not look at the firearm at all and eyes are focused only on the threat.

If a red dot optic seems beneficial to you and you have tried one, then go for it.
You SHOULD be focused on the threat with the dot superimposed on the threat rather then peering through it like a scope.
It is not a little TV screen that you focus on.

It takes some folks some getting used to with regard to lasers and illuminated dot optics.
If you are not using either correctly then you will never have satisfactory results.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I find shooting with a red dot is far superior for greater speed and accuracy when compared to open sights. Open sights are superior to lasers when you can bring your firearm to your eye level, but lasers give the flexibility of aiming without necessarily sighting.

Lasers, I find most people have a pause when they shoot. At least when it comes to an average shooter.

I've seen more Tritium sights and red dots with more experienced shooters than with lasers. I'm not a fan of lasers because they have to be turned on, unless they're the Crimson Trace variety. They also don't have a battery indicator to let the user know how much life is left when it is necessary to change.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,128 Posts
I hunted with dot optics on revolver since the late '70's and my wifes fun house guna m&p core has a RM5g trijicon on it I carried it a while deciding if a large handguns was for me and the sights works well but is it for everyone . NO .

Philly01 You many just have to try a dot optic for your self to know if its what you want and can use it well . Might find a shooter willing to let you try there at a local uspsa match .

My revolvers have 2moa dots and they work well out to 150 yards when used as an offisive weapon but up close it slow on target and I have reverted back to old school point shooting on hogs . My wifes CORE has a 9" green fiber optic/tritium site on it and its great for under 25 yards as the dot only covers 2.25 " . 5 or 6 moa dot my work better for many folks for short range .
I may get to a where a a dot optic on a EDC is practical in the future but for now . I stay with handgun hunting only .

I can't shoot bullseye groups with open sights any more ether . If a handguns capable of 3" from a rest at 25 yards I'm a 5" to 6" guy but I can still keep quickly fired shoots shots in the A zone of a uspsa target out to 15 yards on a good day doing draw and double tap drills and inside the B zone out to 25 yards with a p320 c pistol . Short range with smaller handguns

I have trained for many years with what I called aimed point shooting but it turns out to have a real name . Check out the NSSF video by Gunsites range master -

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have a Trijicon RMR on my HK VP9 and a Burris FFL on my Beretta PX4 Compact. I managed to find dovetail mounts that allowed me to mount the sight without needing to have the slide milled. I had cataract surgery a few years back and chose to have mono-vision so my left eye only focuses near and my right only focuses distance. This caused problems with aiming, I could either see the target clearly or the sites clearly. On top of that, sometimes my eyes would fight over which eye to use, I basically was point shooting and was getting really frustrated because I couldn't seem to increase my accuracy. I bought a cheap red dot and rail off Amazon and it was like OMG I could see the dot and target perfectly and could now have both eyes open. It has definitely been worth the cost to me and I will be adding dots to any guns I purchase
Who did the slide work on your VP9 and did you find sights that allows cowitness?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts