Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Regarding MOA in Red Dot descriptions. Is the MOA referring to the actual size of the Red Dot in the optical? Smaller size 2.0 MOA would be pricey but more accurate at distance versus a 7.0 moa? Thanks.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Correct.
A 2MOA dot is 2" at 100 yds. You can be more precise for target shooting.
7 is nice though on pistols at closer ranges. IMO.

I have a .69 MOA red dot on one of my AR scopes. Sweet :smile:

Sig makes a nice 2 MOA red dot that isn't too expensive. I have a couple of those.

·
Premium Member
36,752 Posts
Regarding MOA in Red Dot descriptions. Is the MOA referring to the actual size of the Red Dot in the optical? Smaller size 2.0 MOA would be pricey but more accurate at distance versus a 7.0 moa? Thanks.
Yes, it's the size of the dot as projected on the optical. The smaller the dot, the more precision it allows, but the harder it is to pick up in the sight picture. What are you considering?

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
Oh, and you can be pretty darn accurate with a 7 MOA red dot. I didn't mean to give the wrong impression.
It will cover a 6" target, but a 10" target you can center the dot up in it.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
There are non-dot options as well...
Over the past 6 months I've replaced a number of my 1X optics with the PrimaryArms/Holosun HS503G with the ACSS reticle.
It has a chevron that comes to a nice sharp point (Zero MOA?) with ranging dots below it. There's also a 65 MOA "horseshoe" that can be turned on for good CQB sighting or shotgun use. Interesting alternative to a single dot... not for everyone, but I love 'em.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, it's the size of the dot as projected on the optical. The smaller the dot, the more precision it allows, but the harder it is to pick up in the sight picture. What are you considering?
Still looking around but earlier today I was looking at C-More's Website and looking at their STS2 Red Dot which is offered in 3.0 moa.

·
Registered
4,673 Posts
Still looking around but earlier today I was looking at C-More's Website and looking at their STS2 Red Dot which is offered in 3.0 moa.
That's a good compromise. As long as the dot is smaller than the target it can be consistently and accuracy centered. When fast dot acquisition is desired just turn up the brightness a click or two.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
There are some nice pyramid reticles as well. The full pyramid is for CQB, the top "tip" is for precision.

Reactions: AzQkr

·
Premium Member
36,752 Posts
There are some nice pyramid reticles as well. The full pyramid is for CQB, the top "tip" is for precision.
I have a DeltaPoint 7.5 MOA on my Glock 17, and a Trijicon 6 MOA dot on my Glock 21. A perfect RMR would have the DeltaPoint's aperture, glass and triangle with the Trijicon's adjustment knobs and battery life.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
Oh, and you can be pretty darn accurate with a 7 MOA red dot. I didn't mean to give the wrong impression.
It will cover a 6" target, but a 10" target you can center the dot up in it.
I use a 7.5 MOA on the Victory.

Superimposes 7.5" at 100 yds. At 12 yrds, the dot covers about 70% of my 4.5" round plates used for the airgun [ or about 3" ]. I'll be using it this Sunday in the 22 match where some of the disks are 3-4" and everything else is bigger. Quicker/faster to pick it up, and I've set it up to use like a regular dot centered on what I want to hit, instead of using the tip of the chevron.

·
Registered
16,094 Posts
I use a 7.5 MOA on the Victory.

Superimposes 7.5" at 100 yds. At 12 yrds, the dot covers about 70% of my 4.5" round plates used for the airgun [ or about 3" ]. I'll be using it this Sunday in the 22 match where some of the disks are 3-4" and everything else is bigger. Quicker/faster to pick it up, and I've set it up to use like a regular dot centered on what I want to hit, instead of using the tip of the chevron.
I think that size is perfect for pistols you want to shoot fast. I may get a red dot for my 22/45 Lite and that's around the MOA I would get.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts