Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well what do you know! I have a Red Nichols holster nd didn't even know it. I honestly had never heard of him until I joined this forum, sorry Red!, but one of my oldest and most favorite holsters is one of his designs!

I bought a Ruger Old Army back in the late 70s, it came with a Bianchi holster made for Ruger for their Blackhawks but fits my Old Army perfectly. I'm making a guess here but I think the holster was made in 76 as my Old Army was, it has the made in 200th year of liberty stamped on it so I think it's a good guess.

Anyway, thanks Red. Great holster that has stood up well for over 40 years.

IMG_0077.jpg

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
If you like that one, wait until you see his new Tom Threepersons holster.
It actually wouldn't be easy to find a holster design of the major (and many smaller) holster companys that didn't have at least some of his dna in it.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Thanks so much.

The Ruger Practical Holster was developed between John Bianchi and Bill Ruger, as a tactic to deal with the accidental discharge lawsuits that Ruger was just beginning to experience with the pre-transfer bar hammers. Ruger accompanied ads for the holster with separate ads about "5 beans in the cylinder" and how the old cowpokes knew, with the Colt that preceded it, never to carry a S.A. revolver with a round under the hammer. Never mind that the transfer bar ignition was in use by companies as humble as Iver Johnson ('hammer the hammer' was their slogan) long before. But who can blame Bill for following in the famous Colt's footsteps?

I suppose I can take credit for the holster's styling and construction details. It was very promptly copied by Gallagher at Galco, which we had become accustomed to; in those days we didn't know about product configuration trademarks.

When first introduced, our work force was very slow on a holsters per person per day basis. So Richard Gerfen and I (he was a company exec then and our former production manager) worked a full 8 hour shift together, at night, to show the team that they could meet the quota. Never had a problem meeting quota again, after the team saw the sea of holsters we'd built, laid out for their arrival that morning :).

·
Registered
859 Posts
ruger jpeg (1).jpg

Mid '70s, circa 1976, as I recall. Personally I don't know that either the holster, or the campaign, did Ruger any good. The tale at the time was that Ruger had ignored the first suit, in Alaska, so lost it; and ever since a cottage industry had/has sprung up amongst contingency lawyers sharing research to win subsequent suits.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you like that one, wait until you see his new Tom Threepersons holster.
It actually wouldn't be easy to find a holster design of the major (and many smaller) holster companys that didn't have at least some of his dna in it.
I saw that on his website, too rich for my blood right now. It is a beautiful piece of art.

·
Registered
5,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Reactions: rednichols

·
Super Moderator
18,788 Posts
Hah! Just saw this thread.

My dad has this holster, obtained for his Ruger Blackhawk .30 Carbine.

Reactions: SatCong
1 - 8 of 8 Posts