Defensive Carry banner

Reflex Red Dot vs Scope

2484 Views 10 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  pgrass101
I just purchased my first "Sporting Rifle" a Stag 15. Which sight is best for general self defense?

Lets Be Careful Out There!
Ron
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
3,211 Posts
I prefer a quality red dot for my uses with the option of a 3x magnifier. Eventually, I'd like my 14.5" to have a variable 1-4 or the new Leupold mk6 1-6. Kyle Defoor recently did a test in bad weather, and surprisingly the 1-4 worked best in heavy rain. Not the most common scenario for people outside of LE or mil work, but I thought it was interesting.

At 1x they work much like a red dot but can be used for precision as well. Of course, this would be for general use and my primary rifle will still have a red dot. This is if I ever get around to it...

· Registered
3,211 Posts
I use a 1.25-4 Leupold VX-R and think its a great tool for close-up work out to 2-300 yds. But then again, mine is used for hog hunting.

Strictly self defense/target shooting? Red dot, no question about it.
I'd really like to get a 1-4 for hunting, or maybe a 1-6. I use an Aimpoint T1 now and it works extremely well, but occasionally on the longer shots, I'd prefer a variable power optic. More for the reticle than anything. Out to 300 meters, I'm content with 1x or 2x, the reticle makes more of a difference for me. Most of my hog hunting is done at close range and we usually kill more than one at a time, so the red dot has been extremely effective. I'd think a 1-4 would work pretty much the same but have the added benefit of precision at distance.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.