Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently read a couple of posts about looking at your holster when you reholster. I agree that this is the safest way to do it. I have three Nate Squared Tactical (N82) Professional IWB holsters that have a very strong poly-carbonate shell that the gun slides into so the mouth of the holster always remains open. I carry a Glock 17, 30 and 48. I am left handed so the holster sits IWB right behind the second belt loop on the left side of my jeans.

I am not over weight but when a reholster the gun and try to look down at the holster mouth I really can't see it very well probably because it is at the 3:30 or 4 o'clock position on my BigFoot gun belt.

When I reholster I first feel with my left hand to ensure nothing (clothing, etc.) is blocking the holster mouth. With the gun in my left hand I step back with my strong left foot and then lean back. This makes the mouth of the holster more accessible for the gun - a tip I read on DC a few years ago. With my trigger finger extended and touching the slide I very carefully and slowly find the back edge of the holster mouth with the muzzle underneath side of the gun and continue to slowly insert the gun into the mouth of the holster. I also practice this with the gun unloaded. Although I have never had a problem or ND when the gun is actually moving into the holster I still have a slight un-easy feeling.

Any thoughts or comments about IWB reholstering would be great.

Thanks! Bill

·
Administrator
21,033 Posts
I have recently read a couple of posts about looking at your holster when you reholster. I agree that this is the safest way to do it. I have three Nate Squared Tactical (N82) Professional IWB holsters that have a very strong poly-carbonate shell that the gun slides into so the mouth of the holster always remains open. I carry a Glock 17, 30 and 48. I am left handed so the holster sits IWB right behind the second belt loop on the left side of my jeans.

I am not over weight but when a reholster the gun and try to look down at the holster mouth I really can't see it very well probably because it is at the 3:30 or 4 o'clock position on my BigFoot gun belt.

When I reholster I first feel with my left hand to ensure nothing (clothing, etc.) is blocking the holster mouth. With the gun in my left hand I step back with my strong left foot and then lean back. This makes the mouth of the holster more accessible for the gun - a tip I read on DC a few years ago. With my trigger finger extended and touching the slide I very carefully and slowly find the back edge of the holster mouth with the front underneath side of the gun and continue to slowly insert the gun into the mouth of the holster. I also practice this with the gun unloaded. Although I have never had a problem or ND when the gun is actually moving into the holster I still have a slight un-easy feeling.

Any thoughts or comments about IWB reholstering would be great.

Thanks! Bill
You're doing everything right. The only other advice is Tau Development Group Striker Control Device or "Gadget" that will allow you to prevent a discharge while thumb-capping the steiker plate while holstering.

Cons for this is that 1: its a means of defeating the gun from firing.
2: one method of making a contact shot with a Glock is to apply pressure to the striker plate to force the gun into battery, you can still do a similar method with the SCD in place, but its a little more detailed.

Pros are that its a "passive" safety in that there is nothing required to deactivate it.

I have not come across a documented single instance of one failing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
JD thanks for your post. I am familiar with the Striker Control Device - thanks for mentioning it.

·
Banned
2,103 Posts
always look, and keep doing what you are doing.

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
A huge plus of carrying my P99 is that depressing the decocker makes it impossible to discharge. So, I can safely reholster without looking.

·
Super Moderator
16,079 Posts
I can’t see my holster at 4:00 o’clock but the mouth of the holster is a double layer of leather plus with both a grip safety and thumb safety I never worry about it.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Can't think of a circumstance where I'd need to re-holster without looking. If I'm putting my gun back in the holster, the threat has been eliminated so no need to rush.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Can't think of a circumstance where I'd need to re-holster without looking. If I'm putting my gun back in the holster, the threat has been eliminated so no need to rush.
What about “You have just been involved in a self protection shooting and the police are arriving on the scene.”

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Sounds like you are doing fine now.
Can't say I've ever found a reason for speed holstering. I almost always look when I reholster, although I have trained to holster by tactile feeling. Just never been 100% comfortable with it.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Sounds to me like you have the right idea, and are doing fine.

You acknowledge the possibilities and take care; that is the entire ballgame.

Reactions: Old Man

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
I look when I re-holster and I look when I perform a mag change. Its important enough to do it right the first time. Some things I simply chalk up to a tactical kabuki dance. Holstering without looking is one of those things.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Can't think of a circumstance where I'd need to re-holster without looking...
I certainly can!
You've just done something about the guys who were about to rob you at gunpoint. They're on the floor, legs crossed, hands finger-laced atop their heads.
But you're not completely sure that they'll stay that way, if you take your attention away from them.
And now, the cops, who someone else called for, are arriving. You need to reholster before they see your pistol and think that you may be a bad guy.
But you mustn't take your attention away from the BGs on the floor.

I suggest that you do indeed need to be able to holster your pistol with only one hand, and without "looking it in."

And even if you think otherwise, I further suggest that it's a very useful skill to have, even if you never use it.

What about “You have just been involved in a self protection shooting and the police are arriving on the scene.”

·
Registered
33,862 Posts
You can What-If this to death, but as long as my life is at risk, regardless of why, I'm not inclined to reholster. No risk, no problem.

·
Premium Member
5,378 Posts
LE may need to reholster without looking, because at the end of the day they have to put hands on. However, cops have holsters that are YUGE funnels. CCW holsters wear tight to the body (IWB) etc. Two different words. I teach CCW students to "Glance" the gun into the holster.

·
Premium Member
5,378 Posts
I certainly can!
You've just done something about the guys who were about to rob you at gunpoint. They're on the floor, legs crossed, hands finger-laced atop their heads.
But you're not completely sure that they'll stay that way, if you take your attention away from them.
And now, the cops, who someone else called for, are arriving. You need to reholster before they see your pistol and think that you may be a bad guy.
But you mustn't take your attention away from the BGs on the floor.

I suggest that you do indeed need to be able to holster your pistol with only one hand, and without "looking it in."

And even if you think otherwise, I further suggest that it's a very useful skill to have, even if you never use it.
Under this scenario putting your hands up and dropping the gun when the Police arrive is probably a better option.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I have recently read a couple of posts about looking at your holster when you reholster. I agree that this is the safest way to do it.
Sure beats dropping a $500 quality firearm onto concrete!

Interesting post. I've honestly never thought about this before.

Just strapped on and did a couple of draws and reholsters.

Turns out, I do look at the holster. I also touch and stabilize my holster (it's a drop-leg) with my left hand while reholstering.

I just tried reholstering without either looking or using my other hand.

Weird!

Yet another bad habit I'll have to overcome. Everyone should be able to reholster with one hand and without looking. There may be a time where I'd have to reholster with my opposite hand, as well. I wonder how that would turn out...

1 - 20 of 50 Posts