Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Banned
1,228 Posts
A small trick I use (OWB or IWB) is to stick out my thumb to feel for the holster opening.

That is after making sure no garment is in the way.

Reactions: OD*

·
Registered
855 Posts
Can't think of a circumstance where I'd need to re-holster without looking. If I'm putting my gun back in the holster, the threat has been eliminated so no need to rush.
What about “You have just been involved in a self protection shooting and the police are arriving on the scene.”

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I certainly can!
You've just done something about the guys who were about to rob you at gunpoint. They're on the floor, legs crossed, hands finger-laced atop their heads.
But you're not completely sure that they'll stay that way, if you take your attention away from them.
And now, the cops, who someone else called for, are arriving. You need to reholster before they see your pistol and think that you may be a bad guy.
But you mustn't take your attention away from the BGs on the floor.

I suggest that you do indeed need to be able to holster your pistol with only one hand, and without "looking it in."

And even if you think otherwise, I further suggest that it's a very useful skill to have, even if you never use it.
Why are you holding people at gunpoint?? Back away put distance between you and them. Your jacked up on adrenaline and your playing cop?? Look out that guy is making a run for it!!! BANG BANG!! oh boy you just shoot him twice in the back.

·
Premium Member
33,893 Posts
What about “You have just been involved in a self protection shooting and the police are arriving on the scene.”
In that scenario, I've already run it to slide lock, so there is no need for me to look when holstering.

Reactions: OD*

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I use my free hand to lift shirt out the way and with my thumb firmly on the hammer, I just slide it in slowly, by feel. I can do it in the dark or with the lights on.

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
I’d be very concerned about anyone using their other hand in lieu of looking the handgun into the holster. As SOs we’re carefully warning against muzzling ones self at any time. Using that other hand during holstering is very likely setting up to muzzle the free hand.

If I have a cover garment then my free hand pulls it well clear before I begin slow holstering. If I’m not wearing cover then my free hand rests at my sternum, out of the way.

·
Registered
34,628 Posts
If I've just been involved in a SD shooting, either the threat is over or I'm dead. If I've ended the threat, or it has ceased by any means, then it will be safe for me to reholster. If I'm still in a shooting match, I'm not reholstering just because LE is finally arriving to record details.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Why are you holding people at gunpoint?? Back away put distance between you and them. Your jacked up on adrenaline and your playing cop?? Look out that guy is making a run for it!!! BANG BANG!! oh boy you just shoot him twice in the back.
That seems like a good way to end up on trial for at least manslaughter, if not murder.

A civilian does not shoot a fleeing BG, unless the fleeing felon poses is a grave and articulable threat to others.
And remember: There may be witnesses, whom you have not yet noticed, who will rat you out when interviewed by the cops.

...I would place the gun on the ground and put hands up when police arrived, not re-holster.
But then the BG, or one of the BGs, might do a slither, and grab your grounded gun, even as the cops are running in.
He may shoot at you, since you've already put him in deep doo-doo. Then what do you do?

No. You need to control your weapon until the police have the place firmly in hand.

In that scenario, I've already run it to slide lock, so there is no need for me to look when holstering.
If you've "already run it to slide lock," and you haven't reloaded quickly, what will you do when his until-now-unseen buddy starts on you?

You don't know what's going to happen, so you have to be prepared for anything. Really. Anything.

Reactions: DrummerMike

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
I don't ever feel the need to reholster quickly, but I am a bit overweight, and it's difficult to look the gun all the way into the holster. That's why being able to thumb the SCD on my Glocks and the hammer on my SCCY while proceeding slowly gives me a very comfortable feeling.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I use a Kramer IWB holster with Glock 26. I have found that it is important for the holster to be in the same place. My holster used to move to the rear when worn, never to the front. I attached a Velcro strap between pants belt loop and holster belt loop to limit rearward movement of holster and thus keep holster in same location. I have also recently installed a striker control device and like it.

·
Premium Member
33,893 Posts
If you've "already run it to slide lock," and you haven't reloaded quickly, what will you do when his until-now-unseen buddy starts on you?

You don't know what's going to happen, so you have to be prepared for anything. Really. Anything.
Once again, my dry humor has been confused with sincerity. Sorry.

·
Premium Member
33,893 Posts
I have recently read a couple of posts about looking at your holster when you reholster. I agree that this is the safest way to do it. I have three Nate Squared Tactical (N82) Professional IWB holsters that have a very strong poly-carbonate shell that the gun slides into so the mouth of the holster always remains open. I carry a Glock 17, 30 and 48. I am left handed so the holster sits IWB right behind the second belt loop on the left side of my jeans.

I am not over weight but when a reholster the gun and try to look down at the holster mouth I really can't see it very well probably because it is at the 3:30 or 4 o'clock position on my BigFoot gun belt.

When I reholster I first feel with my left hand to ensure nothing (clothing, etc.) is blocking the holster mouth. With the gun in my left hand I step back with my strong left foot and then lean back. This makes the mouth of the holster more accessible for the gun - a tip I read on DC a few years ago. With my trigger finger extended and touching the slide I very carefully and slowly find the back edge of the holster mouth with the muzzle underneath side of the gun and continue to slowly insert the gun into the mouth of the holster. I also practice this with the gun unloaded. Although I have never had a problem or ND when the gun is actually moving into the holster I still have a slight un-easy feeling.

Any thoughts or comments about IWB reholstering would be great.

Thanks! Bill
Three pages later, I'm thinking the approach you have described is solid.

Reactions: BillG174 and OD*

·
Registered
8,648 Posts
BillG174, I was originally taught to holster without looking, but after discussions with many here, I have seen the error of my ways and now always look. Even as thin as I am now, if I carry behind the hip, I too cannot see exactly what's going on back there when I reholster. Maybe that's due to a lack of flexibility?

For almost a year now I have been carrying a DA/SA Sig AIWB. One of the big advantages of carrying in that position is I can see exactly what is going on when I reholster, and I like that. Of course, AIWB has its own set of pros and cons, as does a DA/SA pistol. Everything in life involves a set of compromises. It all depends on which set of compromises you are willing to accept and live with.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I prefer to reholster by the robocop method

Carry either a Dan Wesson 15-2 or S&W 360 IWB and both holsters ride at 5 o'clock with a good funnel, I never look and use my thumb to find the mouth the insert the barrel. I've never dropped either or missed the holster.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
BillG174 Good advise and basically what I have done for 33 years . I did get some schooling from a retired fed who taught me to draw one handed , as he said never know if when a handgun is needed if you need to sweep family back a friend or as a last chance to hold a BG at arms reach and to use both hands when reholstering and I carry at a 3:00 position with about 15* of cant BUT I decided many years ago to step my strong side leg forward when holstering my handgun so if by chance I do have a ND I won't have a bullet passing down thru my leg . At worse I get shot in a butt cheek maybe but as I get older there seems to be less of that !

·
Registered
93 Posts
Some great comments and advice. Me personally, I do not look my holster in, I want my eyes to be scanning for other potential threats. I make sure my cover garment is way out of the way (some friends say I over-exaggerate clearing my cover garment) and I re-holster. I practice re-holstering with an unloaded weapon and I also practice like that at the range. Nothing wrong with what everyone else is saying, but I feel it comes down to training. Side note, I also kick my hip out ever so slightly when I re-holster so if for some reason the gun does discharge it's less likely to hit me.

·
Registered
34,628 Posts
Reactions: JAG45
21 - 40 of 50 Posts