Defensive Carry banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
I use an OWB scabbard (DeSantis) with thumb break so re-holstering I do use my support hand to clear the thumb break tab. I'm careful not to sweep the support digits and I do look during re-holster.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I'm a lefty I carry at 7:00 . I can't see my holster in that position. I can feel it though. I don't carry any striker fired gun any way. All mine have decockers.

·
Registered
192 Posts
What about “You have just been involved in a self protection shooting and the police are arriving on the scene.”
Assuming the perp is dead and I felt safe putting my gun away, I can't imagine the police getting there before I had a chance to transfer my gun to my other hand, fish the holster out of my pocket, insert the gun into it, and put it back in my pocket.

I certainly can!
You've just done something about the guys who were about to rob you at gunpoint. They're on the floor, legs crossed, hands finger-laced atop their heads.
But you're not completely sure that they'll stay that way, if you take your attention away from them.
And now, the cops, who someone else called for, are arriving. You need to reholster before they see your pistol and think that you may be a bad guy.
But you mustn't take your attention away from the BGs on the floor.

I suggest that you do indeed need to be able to holster your pistol with only one hand, and without "looking it in."

And even if you think otherwise, I further suggest that it's a very useful skill to have, even if you never use it.
You can call me naive but, in that scenario, I'd more likely keep my gun aimed in the BGs general direction until the police arrived and assume they wouldn't just open fire on a 74 year old white guy without giving him the opportunity to drop the gun.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
I always look.

I choose not to play the "what if" scenarios. One can generate an infinite set of circumstances, and I can think of a multitude of more productive uses of my time.

Reactions: OldVet

·
Registered
452 Posts
No. You need to control your weapon until the police have the place firmly in hand.
Just a thought, but if you have control of your gun other than in holster or on the ground, part of them "police" firmly having the situation in hand/control might include shooting you. JMO

·
Banned
1,228 Posts
Why are you holding people at gunpoint?? Back away put distance between you and them. Your jacked up on adrenaline and your playing cop?? Look out that guy is making a run for it!!! BANG BANG!! oh boy you just shoot him twice in the back.
And your next roommate is named Bubba!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
34,738 Posts
Just a thought, but if you have control of your gun other than in holster or on the ground, part of them "police" firmly having the situation in hand/control might include shooting you. JMO
If you reholster before LE gets there, then one of the other 100 BGs you didn't see might shoot you, or LE might shoot you anyhow for not following the 25 different commands all yelled at you at the same time. So just like getting sued by the BG's family, plan on LE shooting first, asking question later.

See how piling on What-Ifs just gets sillier and sillier...

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Thanks everyone for the great discussion. I picked up some additional ideas.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts