Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a thread here recently that indicated it was easy to get a PA license to carry from Centre County in PA. So I applied. I got a rejection letter today :frown: and the line next to "Reason for rejection" was blank. :confused:

I have no criminal record, and nothing pending. I've never been to PA, so obviously I have no tickets or issues from there. Or so I thought.

I had heard Sheriff Denny Nau was pro-2A. Is he in town now? The check returning a portion of my fee was signed by ???Patty Clxxt? (Hard to read her? handwriting.)

They sent me a PA Instant Check System Challenge form to fill out, but I don't know why I was refused in the first place.

I've passed the federal NICS check lately. Yesterday, in fact. And about 2 weeks ago. PA received my application in between those two checks.

Anyone have any ideas why PA considers me a POS?

I ain't feelin' the brotherly love down here in MO. No, not a bit.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
752 Posts
Only things I can think of are:
Did you send a copy of your home state CCW?
Did you put down references(I forget if Centre required these)?

They should have told you what the reason was. I think PA law requires each county to issue to a non-resident if someone applies. So Denny Nau's 2A beliefs are somewhat irrelevant. FWIW, I got mine from his county within 2 weeks.
You should call and ask. You may be on a terrorist watch list(no joke,some people end up there for strange reasons).

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Thats odd. Sheriff Nau IS THE model LEO for issuing LTCF's. He is very pro CCW. I think a call may be in order, I'm sure they can fix it for you, or at a minimum let you know what the issue is. It could be something as simple as a mix up or error in/on the paper work or having a similar name to a known felon.

Give him a call. I hear their office is a breeze to deal with. Good luck!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Sorry to hear of you pain.

I would recommend that you search for the answers on this. I would.

Luke

·
Registered
264 Posts

They should have told you what the reason was. I think PA law requires each county to issue to a non-resident if someone applies. So Denny Nau's 2A beliefs are somewhat irrelevant. FWIW, I got mine from his county within 2 weeks.
You should call and ask. You may be on a terrorist watch list(no joke,some people end up there for strange reasons).
Kind of what I was thinking.

AND call and ask! Won't hurt at all...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sorry to hear about getting rejected. Its probably a clerical error.

I just got my PA permit from Centre County. Sent the application on Friday the 21st, check was cashed on Tuesday the 25th and it was waiting for me when I got home today Thursday the 27th!! Astonishing turn around time. I was told turn around time was 5-7 days. I thought that was an exaggeration. Boy was I wrong. Sheriff Nau is on the ball in that department. But, they made a typo on my address, so I gotta call them and probably have them send me a new one. :(

·
Premium Member
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep, plus a copy of my driver's license as they required.
Yep, second time around. :redface: I forgot to list them the first time, and they sent the form back, indicated to fill in the references, and resend the form, which I did.

They should have told you what the reason was.
That sure would have been nice AND helpful. Hard to correct an issue when you don't know what the issue is. :rolleyes:

I think PA law requires each county to issue to a non-resident if someone applies.
I went to the Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association website, and they list the counties as to whether they are favorable or nonfavorable to non-resident LTCF. So I don't think they are required to issue. Regardless, if an applicant fails PA's background check, then the sheriff surely has the option to deny.

So Denny Nau's 2A beliefs are somewhat irrelevant.
If he has the authority to approve or deny, then I think his beliefs are fully relevant.

FWIW, I got mine from his county within 2 weeks.
They were prompt. Both times.

You should call and ask.
Good idea. I've got the sheriff's number, and I'll call tomorrow.

You may be on a terrorist watch list(no joke,some people end up there for strange reasons).
Just my luck: the U.S. government considers me okay (for now), but PA considers me a risk.

I may have to go buy a few more firearms to console myself.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Grady, I'm very surprised that you were turned down, and I would definately follow up and ask why.
I'd be willing to bet there was some error in the processing, PA seems very gun friendly from what I see here:

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/pennsylvania.pdf

And Yes, a new firearm should make you feel much better!

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Grady - Since you normally would pass the PICS - and have a homestate permit , the ONLY explanation is a paperwork error
which may have caused you to be Misidentified and
declared ineligible.

It is extremely important that you correct this error!

Good Luck :wave:

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
Hopefully this question isn't going to have such an obvious answer that I feel dumb for asking... Why would you want a PA CC permit? It would appear that you pick up Wyoming reciprocity, but I can't find anything else. What am I missing?

·
Registered
245 Posts
I had no trouble with Centre County, but who knows. A lot of good points here Grady. Just one I see that has been overlooked and since I've filled out LEO applications before, it's one I make sure to do.

Did you photocopy your paperwork for your records prior to you sending it to Centre County? It might illustrate if there is a paperwork error on your part that may have influenced a rejection.

Always make copies of applications you send anywhere.

·
Premium Member
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hopefully this question isn't going to have such an obvious answer that I feel dumb for asking... Why would you want a PA CC permit? It would appear that you pick up Wyoming reciprocity, but I can't find anything else. What am I missing?
No problem asking, punk rocka. I expected this question to be asked eventually.

Some support other state's CCW (LTCF, etc.) programs just to support them financially.

Some get multiple permits to add states. Good reason, although you are correct that I only get Wyoming added. (Ironically, I could have used that last month.)

The real reason I want PA's LTCF is that I don't trust government to be efficient. Here's what I mean: every 3 years I must renew my MO CCW. My worst nightmare in the renewal process (other than being turned down :rolleyes:) is that the MO state government would be so slow in doing the paperwork that my CCW permit would expire, thus preventing me from being able to carry legally.

PA's LTCF is good in Missouri, so if I had it, I could carry here even if the MO permit expired due to state workers losing it or delaying the approval for any reason.

Since PA's LTCF lasts 5 years, and MO's 3 years, it would be approximately 14 years before they would both be due in the same year, albeit several months apart.

Just trying to cover my bases in order to always have the legal right to carry in MO.

MO's permit is among the best IMO because it allows me to carry in 36 states. PA doesn't offer many states, but it does offer MO, which would be critical to me if my MO license lapped.

Bottom line: I don't trust the gov't, even the state gov't, to always get it right. Case in point is the reason for this thread.

·
Premium Member
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had no trouble with Centre County, but who knows. A lot of good points here Grady. Just one I see that has been overlooked and since I've filled out LEO applications before, it's one I make sure to do.

Did you photocopy your paperwork for your records prior to you sending it to Centre County? It might illustrate if there is a paperwork error on your part that may have influenced a rejection.

Always make copies of applications you send anywhere.
Good point to photocopy items sent, which I did. However, as it turned out, I didn't need to photocopy it--they sent the entire form back with a big D at the top. :frown:

I've checked the form and it looks all correct. It's a very simple form: I think a bit simpler than one used to buy a firearm.

:confused: :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Did you first get a local police department check card done?
Nope. They didn't say anything about that in the instructions.

Sounds like a good idea for you since you are in PA, but I'm guessing the rules are different for non-residents.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
No problem asking, punk rocka. I expected this question to be asked eventually.

Some support other state's CCW (LTCF, etc.) programs just to support them financially.

Some get multiple permits to add states. Good reason, although you are correct that I only get Wyoming added. (Ironically, I could have used that last month.)

The real reason I want PA's LTCF is that I don't trust government to be efficient. Here's what I mean: every 3 years I must renew my MO CCW. My worst nightmare in the renewal process (other than being turned down :rolleyes:) is that the MO state government would be so slow in doing the paperwork that my CCW permit would expire, thus preventing me from being able to carry legally.

PA's LTCF is good in Missouri, so if I had it, I could carry here even if the MO permit expired due to state workers losing it or delaying the approval for any reason.

Since PA's LTCF lasts 5 years, and MO's 3 years, it would be approximately 14 years before they would both be due in the same year, albeit several months apart.

Just trying to cover my bases in order to always have the legal right to carry in MO.

MO's permit is among the best IMO because it allows me to carry in 36 states. PA doesn't offer many states, but it does offer MO, which would be critical to me if my MO license lapped.

Bottom line: I don't trust the gov't, even the state gov't, to always get it right. Case in point is the reason for this thread.
Thats part of the reason I have NH and FL too :bier:

Smart thinking on your part. I'm sure it was a paperwork error... let us know when you figure it out.

Also just FYI, that list on PAFOA is right, but wrong at the same time. I think it shows the difficulty with certain Sheriffs. By law all Sheriffs in this Commonwealth have to issue a permit to any non-resident (and resident) who is legally allowed to own a firearm. Do they always do it for non-residents... not really, but no one has challenged it in court. Some sheriffs are just easier to deal with then others.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Nope. They didn't say anything about that in the instructions.

Sounds like a good idea for you since you are in PA, but I'm guessing the rules are different for non-residents.
Sorry, about the confusion, I didn't realize at first you were an out of state applicant. I don't think that local check card thing applies to you, so I deleted my message.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts