1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By Victor Whitman
Times Herald-Record
Posted: August 12, 2009 - 2:00 AM
MONTICELLO — Sullivan County Clerk Dan Briggs Tuesday blasted district attorney candidate Glenn Kroll for obtaining the name and address of every resident in the county with a pistol permit.

Kroll first made the Freedom of Information request June 30. After initially denying the FOIL on a technicality, the county on Aug. 5 supplied Kroll with an electronic copy on a disc.

Such information falls under the state's open record law.

"The release of such personal information potentially compromises the safety and welfare of each of us in Sullivan County," said Briggs, who held a news conference in the lobby of the Government Center.

Kroll, arriving as Briggs was reading his prepared statement, said the move was political. Briggs is a Republican and Kroll, a Bloomingburg lawyer, is a Democrat running against Republican Jim Farrell.

Kroll said he's been a National Rifle Association member since age 18, is a gun safety instructor and owns several pistols.

"I am actually the Second Amendment candidate running for DA," Kroll said. "My intention was to reach out to them by private mail to tell them I am a strong believer in the Second Amendment and their right to own firearms."

But several gun owners at the news conference said they're offended. They fear the information might be distributed, violates their privacy and might fall into the hands of criminals.

"Everyone is listed on the election rolls — use that," said Tony Leone, a former GOP candidate for the Legislature. As a gun owner, Leone said he's turned off that Kroll would seek his personal information.

"I was still feeling the two guys out, now I am all for the other guy," Leone said.

Briggs said he was going to block out or remove some of the names in his files. He objected to the request generally, but wanted to remove the names of police officers and people who have died or no longer have permits. His paper files had roughly 17,000 to 18,000 names and weren't totally up to date.

He later found out the county had the files in a database and gave Kroll the copy. County Attorney Sam Yasgur said he had no choice in releasing the information. "Do I think it should be public?" Yasgur said. "My answer is no. ****, I'm on the list."
http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20090812/NEWS/908120352

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Great, just what I need, a bunch of anti's showing up on my door step and waving there signs.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Permit holders in Arkansas filed an action following a newswriter's publicity of permit holders in the state on the internet under the FOIA (freedom of information act and public records) and won (suppressed any further postings of the sort) and it won't happen again!
http://www.arkleg.state.ar.us/assembly/2009/R/Bills/HB1623.pdf

·
Premium Member
3,122 Posts
Can't do that in Florida. It is illegal even for local LEOs to keep a list.

·
Premium Member
24,508 Posts
Great, just what I need, a bunch of anti's showing up on my door step and waving there signs.
Just answer your door with a shotgun and ask them to leave your property, I'm sure they'll get the idea.

·
Super Moderator
50,596 Posts
Time to start posting, advertising, and airing Mr. Knoll's address and phone number (work and home)...add pictures of wife (not the kids), cars with plate numbers, pictures of work, house(s), info on vacations spots, etc...he'll get the idea of what privacy means.:image035::blink::22a::bier:

·
Registered
521 Posts
Time to start posting, advertising, and airing Mr. Knoll's address and phone number (work and home)...add pictures of wife (not the kids), cars with plate numbers, pictures of work, house(s), info on vacations spots, etc...he'll get the idea of what privacy means.:image035::blink::22a::bier:

:hand10:

·
Registered
388 Posts
+1

Time to start posting, advertising, and airing Mr. Knoll's address and phone number (work and home)...add pictures of wife (not the kids), cars with plate numbers, pictures of work, house(s), info on vacations spots, etc...he'll get the idea of what privacy means.:image035::blink::22a::bier:[/

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts

Your evil................ But I like it!!!!

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
Our lists are restricted and not public info, it was made part of the law for that and obviously other reasons. A paper here was threatening to publish everyone's names in the papers, so the Legislature took care of that.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Just when you think that lists of CCW holders are "for official use only" this type thing happens! I totally agree in sharing HIS personal information for everyone to see. Truly amazing!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Need to change state law

Like Eagleks said Kansan lawmakers made sure that the list of CCW holders is not to be made public.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Texas CCW holders list used to be available as public info, but a state law passed in 2007 has suppressed that info to public access.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Oregon media wanted the list of concealed handgun license holders to release and the court said they have the right to the lists. The county sheriff's fought it and added an option to the license allowing the applicant to request it be kept private.

The Sheriff's did not want a shopping list for criminals who wanted to steal guns.

The legislature manipulated a bill to protect CHL holders identity private to the point that it was meaningless.

·
Registered
306 Posts
This is exactly why some law abiding citizens shy away from getting their CWP or OCP to start with. The fear of being targeted by the gov't or groups. This is insane. But on the bright side... Vemont makes good syrup for your pancakes.

·
Registered
349 Posts
:aargh4:Holy moly.. that's scary stuff. I also agree with retsupt99's idea; flip it on him.:danceban:

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
Echos of the Roanoke Times debacle here in Va.

Hope he gets a big a backlash as they did here.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts