Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going through the reloading sticky, I want to start reloading in the near future. I know of the basic reloading accesories I may need or I think I need. For the reloading veterans out there, I wanted to get your input. I want to get the basic equipment that I am going to need to start re-loading. And as far as the press goes, could you guys recommend one that's not too expensive and will last a long time. Appreciate the help.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
One Word: DILLON........

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
Get a Dillon 550B they are manually indexed so you can move it forward or backward and they pretty much hold their value,IIRC they will buy them back at 80% new price.unlimited life warranty,look ar brianenos.com he can answer all your questions and if you tell him what you need to reload can figure up everything you need,

·
Registered
208 Posts
I get by with a Lee single stage press, I don't reload thousands of rounds just a couple hundred rounds every 6 or more months, so it works for me and doesn't cost much.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
If you want a progressive press, you simply can't beat a Dillon. Not only are they quality equipment, but in the rare event that you actually do have a problem, you can't beat their customer service.

If you want to go with a single stage, my suggestion would be a Lyman T-Mag turret press. I use one of these for precision rifle loading and they are a strong, versatile press.

Hoss

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Get a Dillon 550B they are manually indexed so you can move it forward or backward and they pretty much hold their value, IIRC they will buy them back at 80% new price.unlimited life warranty,look ar brianenos.com he can answer all your questions and if you tell him what you need to reload can figure up everything you need,
I'm 100% on this answer, I have been using Dillons since the mid 80's and have a couple of 650's and a 550.

For a new reloader the 550 is the way to go. It can be used the same a single stage press or a semi progressive machine. If you make a mistake or just think you did the *"do over" possibility on a 550 makes it more user friendly for a new user.

* The ability to go backwards and forwards at your discretion instead of fiddleing with the auto progressive feature of the 650.

·
Premium Member
5,088 Posts
I'll be the first to recommend Lee as a starter press. Very inexpensive and same warranty/cust service as the rest. Their turret press works well if you want to crank out more rounds, but can still be used as a single stage. That will leave you more money for stuff like calipers, components, etc. I got a digital scale on ebay for about 15 bucks - just make sure it measures in grains. The available videos are very good as well. Check out your local clubs and conservation dept - they may offer hands on classes.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I bought my 550 off ebay, and got it significantly cheaper than otherwise. Although I have a 650 I would recommend the 550 for a new reloader.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
894 Posts
One Word: DILLON........
Get a Dillon 550B they are manually indexed so you can move it forward or backward and they pretty much hold their value,IIRC they will buy them back at 80% new price.unlimited life warranty,look ar brianenos.com he can answer all your questions and if you tell him what you need to reload can figure up everything you need,

what they said, you simply CAN NOT BEAT a Dillon 550B, you can load virtually every hand gun and rifle load out there (except 50 cal)

I have had one for 15 years, not ONE HICCUP. the thing works flawlessly. I have a buddy that has a Dillon "Square Deal" press with about 80,000 rounds through it. he sent it back and they rebuilt the thing, all he paid was shipping. Technical help is there if you have a question.

I have no affiliation with Dillon Precision, but if they need a sales guy, I'll apply for the job. I love the 550B:yup:

and they have "A NO B.S. LIFE TIME WARRANTY" how can you go wrong with that?

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Ditto on the Dillon 550B

·
Registered
558 Posts
start off with a Lee single stage beginners set. If you find out reloading isn't for you, you're only out $100.

As your need for ammo increases and your spare time for reloading decreases, buy a Dillon. They have one of THE BEST equipment guarantees in the industry (or any industry for that matter).

·
Registered
894 Posts
alright...Dillon 550b it is then.
you'll be very happy, A word of caution though. Look around "the net" for the best price. Buying directly from Dillon may not be the best idea.

I bought mine 15 years ago from a company in either Vermont or New Hampshire ( I forget) but I DO remember it was cheaper than buying directly from Dillon.

Ya! I don't know why it's cheaper from a dealer than directly from the manufacture? :aargh4: Just one of those things

·
Registered
181 Posts
Another vote for Dillon's 550B progressive. And for the Lyman T-Mag turret press if you prefer single stage presses. Have both, and both work without a glitch.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
alright...Dillon 550b it is then.
Just one bit of information ...

You do NOT have to use Dillon's dies! Get one set with the initial purchase and use Lee 4-die sets (for pistol calibers) and the Lee Disk powder measure. You can put dies and a powder measure on each die head for the cost of Dillon's dies alone. This way, you don't have to change/adjust the measure every time you change calibers.

I have not had any problem with the smaller Lee measures over the Dillon and you can buy three of them for the cost of one Dillon. I have five heads with Lee measures on them.

For rifle calibers, you will want to use the larger Dillon measure, simply for the increased volume.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I can't get to YouTube from work or I'd give you the link, but head over there and do a search for "Reloading on the Dillon RL-550B". A guy put up a string of I think five videos showing how to set up, assemble, calibrate, and run a batch of .45ACP. I found those videos to be a great companion to the instructions and the other written material I found online. Seeing how it all works before you have to try it just makes it all a lot clearer.

I've loaded something like 7k rounds since I set my 550B up just after Christmas. Even with all the extra accessories I bought, it'll pay for itself handily by the end of this year.

ETA: Lee Factory Crimp Die. Make sure you get one in every caliber. :smile: I also like the Lee sizing/decapping die, because it has a permanent decapping pin that you basically can't break, unlike the plastic Dillon ones.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I got a Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Anniversary Kit and just started reloading. I was able to do 100 rounds pretty quick once I got the hang of things the next 100 went even faster. All you need besides the kit are dies and your components and you are in business.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
ETA: Lee Factory Crimp Die. Make sure you get one in every caliber. :smile: I also like the Lee sizing/decapping die, because it has a permanent decapping pin that you basically can't break, unlike the plastic Dillon ones.
The decapping pins in Dillon dies are NOT plastic; they are hardened steel. I just confirmed this with Dillon.

·
Registered
894 Posts
The decapping pins in Dillon dies are NOT plastic; they are hardened steel. I just confirmed this with Dillon.

AND I believe the Dillon decapping die is spring loaded, so the old primer doesn't get stuck to the pin:image035:

·
Registered
809 Posts
Dillon makes a fantastic press, no doubt about it. However, you do not NEED a Dillon to handload, and IMO its not the best way to start out. For one thing, if you have nothing in the way of equipment, expect to spend at least $600 to get everything you need to get started if you go the Dillon 550 route to load one cartridge.

On the other hand, this Lee kit:

MidwayUSA - Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Anniversary Kit

Its $90 and includes almost everything you need to get going. No, its not a fast as a Dillon, but its a good, solid press and it will help you decide if handloading is for you.

If you have plenty of spare cash and want the best, get the Dillon, provided you are good at paying attention to detail. Progressive presses are more complex, and its often best to have a good understanding of handloading before you use one. That isn't true for everyone, but since there will always be a use for a single stage press, it doesn't hurt to start out with something less complex.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts