1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Yep! like I always say...don't leave home without it!

Reactions: gatorbait51

·
Registered
887 Posts
We never know when evil will choose to strike.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Rev. Daniel Simmons Sr. usually carried his gun into church. He didn't the night Dylann Roof arrived | The State

This is the first I've seen this reported. One of the church shooting victims had a CWP and usually carried into church.

This one time he didn't.
WOW! I didn't know this. The poor man must be suffering one hell of a serious sense of guilt... unless he was one of the terminal victims. Just goes to show, you never know.

Several years ago, I had some very interesting conversations with two men, on separate occasions, who were far more privy of pertinent information than myself. One was an ex-LEO who started up his own business to train police, security, and related personnel in extreme encounter tactics and knowledge. The other is a family member who works for DHS. There was a third individual who is a county police officer but he and I didn't talk at any great length about these topics.

The other two gentlemen were adamant that you carry that firearm everywhere you go where it is legal to do so. Do not leave it home because you are just heading out to fuel your vehicle or to a grocery store to get some bread. Just like the famous American Express commercial; never leave home without it. My family member even carries to family children's birthday parties and other family get togethers. Since talking to these men, I now do exactly what they suggested. I carried nearly always before talking to them but not to family things. Now, I carry everywhere I am legally able to do so. If someone, like my wife, asks, "Do you really think you need that where we're going?" my reply is, "Would you ask that if something really bad happened and I left it at home"? Point is, we are not the ones who pick and choose when evil raises its head... they are. The adage, "it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it" rings so true. The OP's post proves how true this is.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Yep. Every time I am asked why I carry everywhere, I tell 'em the same thing.
I have seen thing going sideways in some otherwise "safe" places. And could have gone real bad, if the person decided to go to weapons. You never know.

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can't get out of my head "what must have been going through his mind when he realized he left his CCW in the car?" Frustration, regret, anger?

Please use this as a reminder to always carry.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I even carry all day at home here in the Country. Always armed at Church and family gatherings.
As they say, everywhere legal. And if I am somewhere I can't take my hand gun, I carry a knife or at least a tactical pen.

And I'm on high alert everywhere.

Both times I was attacked I never thought I was in any danger.
Now strangers get my attention.

As they say you can have some control of the outcome, but you cannot pick the time or place.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
If someone, like my wife, asks, "Do you really think you need that where we're going?"
Yeah, this question drives me crazy. My wife used to ask me that all the time. I got a little annoyed, snapped at her that I hated that question. I then (calmly) explained that MY actions and MY destination and MY goals are what I'm preparing for. It's the actions of the unknown bad guy/girl, and we DON'T know when s/he is coming, or where.

The only time I've acquiesced to her request for me not to carry is when we went to her uncle's funeral. But none of my funeral-appropriate clothes would have allowed me to properly conceal, anyway. I've since rectified that by getting a single-stack 9mm. And she also hasn't asked me to not carry (at any point) for quite some time. She also now has her own CHP, but (so far) doesn't carry. We need to find her a smaller gun, since her current choice is a bit too large (PX4 Compact).

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Rev. Daniel Simmons Sr. usually carried his gun into church. He didn't the night Dylann Roof arrived | The State

This is the first I've seen this reported. One of the church shooting victims had a CWP and usually carried into church.

This one time he didn't.
It has been my experience that "this one time" isn't a one time deal for carriers. Sounds like he made a practice of taking it off before going in church. He carried it to church, took it off and left it on his seat. He made a conscious decision NOT to carry into church.

·
Premium Member
36,692 Posts
Yeah, this question drives me crazy. My wife used to ask me that all the time. I got a little annoyed, snapped at her that I hated that question. I then (calmly) explained that MY actions and MY destination and MY goals are what I'm preparing for. It's the actions of the unknown bad guy/girl, and we DON'T know when s/he is coming, or where.

The only time I've acquiesced to her request for me not to carry is when we went to her uncle's funeral. But none of my funeral-appropriate clothes would have allowed me to properly conceal, anyway. I've since rectified that by getting a single-stack 9mm. And she also hasn't asked me to not carry (at any point) for quite some time. She also now has her own CHP, but (so far) doesn't carry. We need to find her a smaller gun, since her current choice is a bit too large (PX4 Compact).
It took awhile for my wife to wrap her head around the fact that the guns go along just about everywhere. Eventually, though, she came to understand.

·
Premium Member
36,692 Posts
It has been my experience that "this one time" isn't a one time deal for carriers. Sounds like he made a practice of taking it off before going in church. He carried it to church, took it off and left it on his seat. He made a conscious decision NOT to carry into church.
Hard to say. There are times when it is simply an impossibility for me to carry, but never do I not carry simply as a matter of convenience or deference.

Reactions: OD*

·
Registered
3,806 Posts

I should have added that my wife rarely, as in very rarely, ever asks me that question. She is very pro-gun and has been for the entire time I've know her.

Reactions: OD*

·
Registered
598 Posts
It was on June 17, 2015.
Damn Shame............

I won't post a link, because it contains racist and other offensive material, but this sick F's manifesto can be found online.
This should be front page everywhere.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Yeah, this question drives me crazy. My wife used to ask me that all the time....
Funny story... My wife was fairly new to her company when we attended their Christmas party last month. She asked me not to carry there because she did not know the company's stance on CC. I didn't put up much of an argument, and I didn't carry. We had not been at the party an hour, when we were talking with her boss and his wife. The subject of guns came up, and come to find out, there are three people in her office who carry at work, including her boss. And he was armed at the Christmas party. We got a good laugh out of that and my wife learned a lesson. I will not avoid carrying in a situation like that any more.

My father-in-law passed away mid-December, and I carried at his funeral. It was in my sister-in-law's church, not ours. The church was not posted, so I carried there. I carry at all family events, as well.

I really feel for this gentleman. To know that his father did not carry, but possibly could have saved lives if he had, must be gut-wrenching.

·
Registered
5 Posts
For the record, in SC, it is unlawful to carry in a church without permission. In this particular case, the Rev Simmons would have been covered since he had the authority to approve of people carrying in his church. It's a darn shame he and/or others weren't armed at that time when it was needed most. To this day, it is still a sad memory.

SECTION 23-31-215. Issuance of permits.
(M) A permit issued pursuant to this section does not authorize a permit holder to carry a concealable weapon into a
(8) church or other established religious sanctuary unless express permission is given by the appropriate church official or governing body;
Code of Laws - Title 23 - Chapter 31 - Firearms

1 - 20 of 60 Posts