Defensive Carry banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Caught this thing checking out the chicken coop this morning. I have seen it several times this year but was never presented with a shot.

Today I saw him and grabbed the 20 gauge and a couple of Remington Long Range Express shells with #6 shot.
I loaded two and snuck around the side of the house where I saw him sitting in the driveway with his back to me.
It seemed like a far distance, but the first shot put him down for a few seconds, then I hit him with the second shot. I didn’t see much effect with the second shot, but the first shot made his back legs useless, and I ran him down and finished it off with a couple of butt strokes.

Walked it off and it was 54 long steps. Kind of surprised that the #6 shot in a 20 gauge was that effective on a larger critter.
Plant People in nature Human body Fawn Grass

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I like the vids of people with their pet fox. The cute little things act like hyper puppies that never grew up!:)

·
Registered
21,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Reactions: Pete63 and demanic

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
Foxes I have seen in the past looked a little better shape then yours. Glad you got him before you loss any chickens.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Remington wood makes a fine melee weapon, I would not want to catch a face full of that! 'Glad the birds are good.

·
Registered
45,378 Posts
Problem . . . Solution.

The guy trimming my palms found a tree rat nest in one. Yeah, real tree rats.

Plant Rodent Fawn Whiskers Grass

It had babies in the nest, which momma deserted in a hurry when the chainsaw hit it. I set my squirrel trap out and caught the bugger. My solution was to dump it into a half-filled 5-Gal bucket and set another half-filled bucket in it. The rats don't last long when you hold their little heads under water.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
I had to look up tree rats. Glad I don't have to deal them.

Although, our norwegian rats are probably worse. At least the ones who have the gene that allows them to grow infinitely. I've seen a couple of the extra large rats. Disgusting. Literally, small dog sized.

·
Registered
249 Posts
That fox doe not look healthy...aside from the history of shotgun experience. His coat does not look at all healthy like the ones we see around this part of the country. NE Wisconsin.

Reactions: bmcgilvray

·
Registered
21,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That fox doe not look healthy...aside from the history of shotgun experience. His coat does not look at all healthy like the ones we see around this part of the country. NE Wisconsin.
Definitely not healthy. He looked scraggly and mangy.
You have them just like this too, you just just haven’t ran across one.

Reactions: bmcgilvray

·
Registered
11,512 Posts
We had one a few years back that got into our garbage cans. A few days after I figured out what it was, we found it dead nearby. Looked like it had been ill. Felt sorry for it.

We saw families of foxes at other times nearby. Cute little critters. Of course, I didn't have chickens to worry about.

·
Super Moderator
19,245 Posts
Well Chuck, he was just turning his life around when you went and took him out.

Isn't that what they say about miscreants who die from the occupational hazards of their lives of crime?

That was definitely an ill fox that was helped out of his misery.

You make me feel bad, you and that 20 gauge load of sixes successfully waylaying a fox at that distance, when I think of the called in foxes that I've shot with the 10 gauge Magnum and No. 2s or else No. 4 buckshot.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts