Defensive Carry banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my Remington 870 Marine Magnum and I am trying to break it down for an inspection and cleaning before I take it out for shooting. I take the barrel clamp and the extended magazine off leaving me with the magazine cap. This is where I'm having problems. I'm watching disassemble videos and these people are twisting them off with ease while I'm resorting to a towel and this weird spring snap wrench that has a very tight grip to no avail. I just don't know what to do. :confused:

Note: It was said to be brand new with the exception of 30 rounds through it by the seller. There is still crap in the ejection port from when the seller shot it so I'm assuming he never took it apart to clean anyways.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same issue when I go mine, which I bought new. Man that things was tight. I folded over a paper towel over a couple of times and wrapped around the magazine cap to protect the finish and then grabbed it with some channel locks to get it off. I made sure not to put it back quite as tight and haven't had a problem since.

There are some serrations on the bottom of the cap that act to lock it down, and these are what you're fighting.

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
first time off is hard. after that it will get easy. channel locks work good first time.

·
Administrator
143,830 Posts
Try a fairly thick piece of leather to protect the metal and use channel locks.
Cut an old belt up or something similar.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Let me know when you need a tool to remove the fore end nut.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts