Defensive Carry banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given a Remington 870 Wingmaster, southpaw, with a 26 inch barrel today.

I was wondering what my options are for reducing the length of the barrel. Can I get a new barrel or does it have to be cut?

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Check the Remington web site and see if they offer shorter barrels.

·
Super Moderator
18,107 Posts
You can buy a new barrel with chokes, they are available in many places.

You can also cut the barrel to a shorter length.

The best way is to buy what you want and not have to mess with it. They are very easy to change, it takes less than a minute.

Cabela's,Gander Mountain,Midway,Bass Pro, lots of places sell them from 18 inches on up.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
Are the barrels interchangeable or do you need a dedicated left handed barrel IE the location for the shell extractor

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Check out Hastings Barrels. I'm sure they will have what you seek somewhere in their system. They build very nice products and I have used them for many years.

·
Registered
28 Posts
That left handed model is supposedly the hot set up right now for a social shotgun, allows rh folks to load without reaching over/under the gun. I had two of them at a local pawn shop and waited too long to buy one, I wont make that same mistake.

I say if you KNOW you won't be using it for hunting or skeet, etc. find a smith to cut it off. My local one charges $15.00 to cut a shotgun barrel on a lathe.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have a 12 gauge 870 wingmaster with a 26 inch barrel. I like how it swings, I mostly hunt pheasant and I think its perfect.

There are shorter barrels available, if I remember correctly, they're around 200-300 dollars. Its been a while since I looked at barrels though, so I may be wrong.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I've never seen anything all that short for the Wingmaster. I have one too and I love it. I really wanted one with an 18-20" barrel, but no one makes one for it that I've seen. The Wingmaster barrels aren't the same as the standard 870 barrels, they're made to be 15% lighter or something like that to keep it balanced better. I think the cheapest option would be to buy another used barrel and have it cut down.

·
Premium Member
5,300 Posts
Left handed is tough. We had a gunsmith cut my wife's down to 24". Be sure the gunsmith has the tool to cut the choke tube threads once the barrel is cut.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
try Cabelas, they have lots of good stuff.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts