Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The first gun I ever purchased, was incidentally my first election panic buy (2012). It's a Remington 887 with a tactical choke attached to it. Being young and dumb I just bought the black hunting shotgun that carries 4 rounds, rather than the tactical edition, which holds IIRC 8 rounds.

The point of sale for me at the time was the ArmorLokt that the gun is coated in. Theoretically it can be left beneath 1,000 meters of water for a year and remain un-rusted and still functional. Unfortunately, the gun has been completely discontinued pending two separate factory recalls, prompted by (again, IIRC) defects in the firing pins

Is this a reliable gun for home defense? I keep it near the bedside loaded with buckshot, but I've yet to affix a flashlight or anything else to it. Mainly, it's a shotgun that I beat the Hell out of at the range because I know that I can.

My question is, should I save money and eventually retire my Remington 887 exclusively for skeet shooting, or is it adequate?
If not, what shotgun should I plan on purchasing next for home defense, granted that I have a proclivity for tactical models since I'm not a hunter, and I'd like to add a flashlight at some point

Also, where does everyone stand on the issue of shotguns vs. AR platform rifles for home defense? :confused:

Attachments

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
That will work just fine for HD. Just make sure you get the recall done.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Your shotgun will work pulling house duty. If your looking for a replacement a Mossberg maverick 88 8 shot model is a bargain. I have a model 500 and has been very reliable. I don't really prefer one over the other, but my wife does prefer the AR. If I has to only choose one for myself I would go for the shotgun for around the house. There are tons of options for lights on shotguns as you can imagine. I run a TLR-1HL with the streamlight mount.
20150626_170947.jpg 20150626_170715.jpg

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
IMHO, your current gun will work fine, add a light, maybe a sling and a way to carry extra ammo and practice with it.

Also, where does everyone stand on the issue of shotguns vs. AR platform rifles for home defense? :confused:
This has been debated multiple times.....go with what you're more familiar with or willing to train with. For the sake of one more go around, I'm in the AR camp:

More compact, slightly easier to maneuver
Lighter
Less recoil (spouse, older child use)
Higher capacity
Reloads are much faster
Easier to configure for smaller shooters
Less risk of over penetration when using correct ammo
Greater range should you need it (without working slug drills)
Modular, ease of mounting lights, optics etc.

You can always debate the need for some of the above, but why not have the ability/capacity..........there's no reward/prize for doing things the hard way.

And for me at least easier to train on.

I've been hunting and competing shotguns all my life, but I've actually trained on the AR family. In addition I've got 2 "trainers" one in .22LR and another in 9mm, that my wife and son both work with, getting either one to actually run drills with my Benelli M1S90 is a chore. Also I don't know about other locations, but around here it's easier to find a carbine class than it is a shotgun class. I have managed to take a couple shotgun classes, but I'm by far more experienced with the carbine.

The real deal, Colt LE6920, Trijicon Tripower and SureFire light:

Trainer #1 Colt AR6951 in 9mm:

Trainer #2, M&P15-22 (with my HD apprentice):

Chuck

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
You can make that a total defensive shotgun by putting an extension tube on for the shells, changing barrel to 18 in, sling and shell holder. You can add a light on if you wish. You also have a shotgun to change back for hunting, clays etc.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
With a light, a method to carry extra ammo, training, and practice there ain't no flies on a 12 gauge for home defense.

I personally use an AR....but that's a choice based more on my level of training and practice than anything else. If you look around here you'll see lots of thread where people with a good level of knowledge discuss the comparison at length - but to make a long story short, the user's level of competence with the firearm matters ten times as much as which of those two firearms they have in their hands.

If you already own it, understand it's limitations (ammo quantity, recoil, and weight), have received real training in how to use it, and practice with it regularly that scattergun will definitely get it done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I came here after leaving all forms of social media a year ago so I'm not altogether familiar with forums tbqh. I'd respond to each post respectively but I don't really know how to do that yet, so suffice to say, thanks for the responses

1 - 8 of 8 Posts