Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at gun safes for a while now. I found a used Remington on Craigslist about a 6 hour drive round trip. The safe is made by Liberty and has a slight better fire rating than most entry level safes... 45 minutes @ 1200-1400 degrees F. It has 11 one inch bolts and 23 cubic feet of storage. He wanted $800 offered 600 and now were at 700. Retail is somewhere around 1200.

I started out wanting to spend about $400 on a 10 gun Sentry and after researching a bit I found that you need to buy bigger than you need. Spent a lot of cash lately and 700 is my limit. So go or nogo?

Opinions and or suggestions welcome!

Liberty Safe

Craigslist photo

·
Super Moderator
50,596 Posts

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
As long as it meets your needs, I'd say it's a good deal. Liberty does make quality safes. One suggestion, if you do buy it get the combination changed.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I prefer electronic with a key pad or Gun Vault finger pad.
But if you're confident that you, and your loved ones can do the dial quickly under stress, then go for it.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Can you change the combo? And as long is there is not a key that can be used instead of the combo I would say it is safe to buy a used safe...otherwise you run the risk of being ripped off and losing your collection.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Can you change the combo? And as long is there is not a key that can be used instead of the combo I would say it is safe to buy a used safe...otherwise you run the risk of being ripped off and losing your collection.
Or pay cash and make sure he has no contact info.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I have a Remington, but not as nice as the one you posted a pic of. Mine has served me well for about 13 years. I wanna say it maxes out at 18 0r 20 guns, plus shelving on one side.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys,

I bought the Bighorn from Costco.
It's on sale this month (in store only) for $499
Comes with the electronic lock 19.1 cu ft. 59 X 28 X 20
Working on a lighting system with a motion sensor on/off switch.
I've already installed the power box and now looking for some florescent lights.

I'll post a pic/thread when finished.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts