Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for a hunting rifle of my own since I have been borrowing two this year. The model 336 in 35rem feels great to shoulder and shoot. The Savage 110 in 30-06, not so much. I looked at a Remington Model 7 blued barrel and laminated stock and fell in love with it. Priced at $665. Ouch. Wanted one in .243. The Savage Stevens is only about $280 but I am sure the Length of Pull would be more. Any suggestions from the people in the know?

·
8,501 Posts
I suggest buying the gun you love in the caliber you want. If you take care of a Remington you will have it all of your life (and your kids will be shooting it long after you're gone). If you buy the Stevens now just because it's cheaper you will go out and buy the Remington next year. The Stevens will have been a waste of $280.

I can promise you that if you buy the Remington Model 7 you will be very, very (note the use of two very's) happy with it. Remington makes great products!

In closing I'll say that only some sort of nancy boy would get one in .243 though. A real man would get a .308. :hand5:

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suggest buying the gun you love in the caliber you want. If you take care of a Remington you will have it all of your life (and your kids will be shooting it long after you're gone). If you buy the Stevens now just because it's cheaper you will go out and buy the Remington next year. The Stevens will have been a waste of $280.

I can promise you that if you buy the Remington Model 7 you will be very, very (note the use of two very's) happy with it. Remington makes great products!

In closing I'll say that only some sort of nancy boy would get one in .243 though. A real man would get a .308. :hand5:
Another tongue in cheek bash of the sissy round. I looked at .243, 7mm-08, and .308. Especially in the lighter Remington model 7 the .243 would be more than enough for deer and fun to shoot. 7mm-08 ammo is a bit much and not a whole lot to choose from compared to the .243 or .308. Thanks for making me smile though haha

·
8,501 Posts
I'll admit I'm a .308 fanatic. I'll also admit (if I'm forced to) that if you hit a whitetail in the boiler room with a .243 you'll put meat on the table. It pains me to say it though.

All kidding aside, buy the Remington! :hand10:

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On the .308 note. If the rifle is about a pound lighter than the standard size models wouldn't that make the .308 recoil feel like a larger caliber rifle?

·
Registered
185 Posts
.243 is a good hunting round and evento target shoot with. The good thing is with different bullets you can hunt deer, hogs or coyote.
Save the $280 and buy a good rifle like remington, tikka, or along those lines you will be happier

·
8,501 Posts
I just don't think the .308 recoil is that heavy. Remember that the .243 is just a .308 case necked down to 24 caliber. You are still using the same amount of powder, just a smaller bullet. If you use a small weight bullet in the .308 recoil is very close. More for sure, but close.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just don't think the .308 recoil is that heavy. Remember that the .243 is just a .308 case necked down to 24 caliber. You are still using the same amount of powder, just a smaller bullet. If you use a small weight bullet in the .308 recoil is very close. More for sure, but close.
I was more concerned with the recoil difference of the .308 in a model 700 weight rifle and a model 7 weight rifle.

·
Registered
10,864 Posts
If all you will ever want to hunt is whitetail deer with the rifle ,the PERFECT round is,,, .257 roberts, but good luck finding one which is not pricy, SECOND best perfect round for deer is 7mm, NoT 7mm Mag. Barring finding those two calibers in a rifle suitable to your tastes, I would opt for .the .308, because you can use it for varmit, all the way up to black bear and elk. JMHO

"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once."
Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003

·
8,501 Posts
I was more concerned with the recoil difference of the .308 in a model 700 weight rifle and a model 7 weight rifle.
Answer= Not much. You probably wouldn't be able to tell when shooting them side by side.

ETA: Remember that adding a sling, rings and a scope will make the rifle heavier than a bare Model 700. One pound just isn't that big of a deal in the real world.

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
I'd save my penny's and buy the 7.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Answer= Not much. You probably wouldn't be able to tell when shooting them side by side.

ETA: Remember that adding a sling, rings and a scope will make the rifle heavier than a bare Model 700. One pound just isn't that big of a deal in the real world.
Looking at the Savage website the Stevens model 200 is listed as 6.5 pounds just like the Remington. Putting pennies in the jar right now for the nicer Remington. I am a sucker for a laminate stock too. Thought I read that mounting a scope with a 50mm front objective raises the scope too high, and that lifts the cheek off the buttstock. Was looking at a Niken 4-12 or 4-16x50. Have to keep that in mind.

·
Registered
5,327 Posts
Definitely save for the model 7...it is a very nice rifle. .308 is a great round and definitely manageable. I do like your mention of .35 Remington. That is an oft forgot about round.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The .35 Marlin I am shooting has a hard plastic stock plate and is still easy to shoot. If I could buy it off of the Grandpa-in-law I would in a quick minute. If I buy a new rifle for myself I am leaning heavily towards the .243. I should be able to take any deer if I do my part with modern bullets and possibly coyote hunt with it too. My buddy that is letting me hunt on his land is a dairy farmer and wants the yotes to stay away. Plus I think with the soft recoil of a .243 I could practice a lot and become a better marksman.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Chains do you have a dicks sporting goods in your area? Last year I bought a model 700 Reminghton with a 3-9 Nikon BDC for $550.00 and I got $50.00 gift reciepe back in the mail.That included sale tax also. I bought a .270 and I use it hunting for deer,woodchucks. My neighbor bought one and took it to Out west and shot an elk with his. Good luck, I would by the model 7 though If thats what you want all you will do is second guess yourself if you don't.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We have a dick's near here. Only about 20 minutes away actually. They have all their rifles on sale based on price. I think a Model 7/700 would be $50 off. I have no doubt that the Model 700 is a great rifle, but the shorter length of pull with all my hunting clothes on may be a bit long, hence the model 7 inquiries.

·
8,501 Posts
Here is another idea for you at CDNN:

Weatherby Vanguard Carbine ·243· 20" Blue Barrel ·Green Synthetic Stock · New
$379.99

The vangaurd is a pretty nice rifle and you get allot of gun for the money.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you for the link. I will have to take a look at it. I am pining over what round I should choose in any rifle. I have read tons of testimonials that the .243 will kill a deer deader than dead but between the .243, 7mm-08, and the .308 I just do not want to think I made the wrong decision with such an investment.

·
8,501 Posts
Have you considered the .260? It falls half way between .243 and 7mm-08. I like it much better than the .243 and recoil is very light as well.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Have you considered the .260? It falls half way between .243 and 7mm-08. I like it much better than the .243 and recoil is very light as well.
Oh boy. My head is already spinning haha. I will have to look into it. Ammo availability and such.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts