·
Registered
36,284 Posts
Surfaced for how long?

Reactions: gatorbait51

·
Super Moderator
19,387 Posts
Bankruptcy really doesn't seem to affect survivability as long as the product is appreciated by the market place. From its inception until now, I believe Colt has gone bankrupt about 11 times... yet they're still with us.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Article blames school shootings and Trumps' election, which I'm sure had something to do with it, but didn't mention shoddy workmanship and poor quality control, which had alot to do with it. Hope they also change their ways.

·
Premium Member
5,814 Posts
Article blames school shootings and Trumps' election, which I'm sure had something to do with it, but didn't mention shoddy workmanship and poor quality control, which had alot to do with it. Hope they also change their ways.
It's CBS and of course can't possibly assign responsibility where it it belongs

·
Registered
227 Posts
I was proud as a piranha to have a 3" magnum Remington 1100 30 in barrel, ( full choke) back in the mid '80 s .
Bought a few more Remingtons, & various shotguns.
None fit me better for Tuesday Trap night than that 1100... modified to shoot 2 & 3/4 shells.
Won a few turkey & ham ...contest shoots, with that 30 " boom stick , too.
Never bought a bolt rifle from them tho. ( crap shoot on their "iffy Triggers)
I ain't all used up yet. I would still like a fine vintage condition 700 BDL or CDL. If I can find one that's like new, but + 25 yrs. Old.

Reactions: QKShooter

·
Banned
1,995 Posts
Reactions: QKShooter

·
Registered
10,966 Posts
Remington has surfaced from Chapter 11 bankruptcy. I suppose Im glad for Remington but I doubt I will ever buy any more Remington guns as I've lost my faith in the company. They just don't make guns like they used to. Here is the article.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/remington-surfaces-from-bankruptcy/
No their not like they were. But a few years ago I got a Rem 700 LR in 30.06 in a Bell & Carson stock. It shot very well, I could hold about 1/2'' at 100 yards and about 3'' at 1,000 yards with my loads. If this old man can do it, it has to be a good weapon. Just my $.02. :yup:

Model700LR_Profile_Right.png

·
Registered
257 Posts
As I understand it the creditors received an equity share in exchange for debt forgiveness, I wonder how much (percentage) of control they'll have. FWIW I've bought three M700s in the past 2-3 years, no problems with any of them.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I would love to own a Remington if and when they get their quality back.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
No their not like they were. But a few years ago I got a Rem 700 LR in 30.06 in a Bell & Carson stock. It shot very well, I could hold about 1/2'' at 100 yards and about 3'' at 1,000 yards with my loads. If this old man can do it, it has to be a good weapon. Just my $.02. :yup:

View attachment 268121
It was their lever guns where they committed the big sins. Not an issue of today's quality vs yesteryears quality of guns in general.
Or of cheesy gunstocks. For ten years they sent out rifles with drooping barrels, and I mean droop you can easily see without putting a straight edge to it. Barrels with sights canted to the right. Decisions to save money by not hardening internal parts to save money. Rifles that never should have gone out their door. They didn't care, they just wanted to get em sold.

·
Registered
10,966 Posts
It was their lever guns where they committed the big sins. Not an issue of today's quality vs yesteryears quality of guns in general.
Or of cheesy gunstocks. For ten years they sent out rifles with drooping barrels, and I mean droop you can easily see without putting a straight edge to it. Barrels with sights canted to the right. Decisions to save money by not hardening internal parts to save money. Rifles that never should have gone out their door. They didn't care, they just wanted to get em sold.
I have two Rem 700's and that the barrels doesn't droop at all. In fact the one has done the one mile and even out to 1,805 yards.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
I have two Rem 700's and that the barrels doesn't droop at all. In fact the one has done the one mile and even out to 1,805 yards.
I don't know of or have heard of any issues with the 700's. Over the years I have personally handled at least a dozen Marlin/Remington 336's and 1895's and shot several that had these issues. At some point in late 2016 thru 2017 I've seen much better quality in their rifles, particularly their 1895 cowboys. And I've heard,don't know, that they started heat treating the parts again. The fit and finish of the Marlin/Remington lever actions are very crude from the ones I've seen except for one 1895C that I saw made in 2017. I've heard one horror story after another about their customer service. Most owners end up taking their guns to a gunsmith to get them right. I would be very Leary of any remlin made between 2008 and 2016.

·
Registered
10,966 Posts
I do have one Marlin mod 95, that was bought in 2006 and and it shoots very well.

·
Banned
5,322 Posts
They may be recovering financially, on paper, but they have a great uphill battle ahead to win back customers. Gun buyers who have lost faith in a manufacturer have notoriously long memories.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Wooopee Remington still around and others got screwed over in the process too . No interest in a Remington product or umbrella company today anyhow

·
Registered
36,284 Posts
Remington should have stuck with what kept them going--building fine rifles. That R-51 was a harbinger of misled marketing.

Reactions: SatCong and Havok

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Remington reminds me much of the Ford automobile company. If you had a Remington from back in the day, or a Ford from back in the day, than you've truly got a high quality product that might still be fully functional when your grandchildren inherit them. If on the other hand you've got a more recently made Remington or a more recently made Ford than you've got junk. I speak from my own experience.

·
Registered
10,966 Posts
Remington reminds me much of the Ford automobile company. If you had a Remington from back in the day, or a Ford from back in the day, than you've truly got a high quality product that might still be fully functional when your grandchildren inherit them. If on the other hand you've got a more recently made Remington or a more recently made Ford than you've got junk. I speak from my own experience.
I will take a Ford before I take a GM or as we say Government Motors. One of our Ford trucks in our family, it's around 176,000 miles on it. Still runs good. Also have a two Remington's 700's that still run very well At a 1,000 yards and out. Even one does 1,805 yards and holding under 1 1/2 MOA, not bad for junk.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.