Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you render aid to a perp after a defensive shoot? Assuming of course the threat was neutralized and you did not kill the perp? Say he was on the ground wounded and bleeding.

Personally I would. I'd take his gun or weapon and make sure he is restrained properly before I render any aid. Rubber gloves would be a must as well.

How about you guys?

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
No. How do you know he doesn't have a hidden knife, or another gun... Realistically, you will most likely be in no condition to render aid in the aftermath of a shooting...

·
Premium Member
2,652 Posts
Hmm, I don't really know. I suppose it would depend largely on the circumstances. I’ve always contended that it’s hard to ‘armchair’ our reactions until if and when something goes down in front of us. In the abstract, I wouldn’t care to; but I did spend a lot of my years in the service of others.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I'd probably call the pros and let them do what they are trained to do.
Isn't that what the anti-gunners tell us to do in the first place?

Most likely, yes, I would do what I could provided nobody was in any further danger.

·
Registered
99 Posts
It really depends

The assumption here seems to be that it is just me and the BG. In that situation, I would probably do what I could.
If however, a family member had just been injured or killed in this incident, I doubt very much if I'd do anything to help.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
I'm not putting myself in a position where somebody may be faking how badly hurt they are to draw me in and try to disarm and kill me,not even lone LEO would approach a downed suspect until backup arrives and then they usually just cuff them up until paramedics arrive

·
Registered
208 Posts
No.

The perp better hope that the paramedics can get to him/her quickly.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Holger,
The antigunners would have taken away your gun so there would be no defensive shoot. Read the first sentence of the OP.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Since AIDS and other blood diseases are most likely in the perps I'd most likely find it necessary to shoot, I'd want a lot more than just rubber gloves.

I would call 911 [if I wasn't already on with them] and report what had just happened [I was forced to shoot in defense of my life] and the guy needs an ambulance right now.]

If I think of it I will take a picture to show what I saw [weapon] and if somebody has a blanket, I'll cove their torso and legs once I'm sure they have no hidden weapon. But I will not touch them, cuff them or give rescue breathing.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Would you render aid to a perp after a defensive shoot? Assuming of course the threat was neutralized and you did not kill the perp? Say he was on the ground wounded and bleeding.

Personally I would. I'd take his gun or weapon and make sure he is restrained properly before I render any aid. Rubber gloves would be a must as well.

How about you guys?
I would dial 911 for police and ambulance, and I'd try and render any aid to the perp that I was able while the ambulance was on the way.

·
Super Moderator
50,596 Posts
Absolutely not!
If the perp's threat, say for example, was ended in a WalMart parking lot in FL, I might be willing to send for an ambulance in GA, via Western Union.:wave:
I dial 911 and it is out of my hands.:ziplip:

·
Registered
785 Posts
As cold as it seems, I would not touch him, nor would I move any evidence (like his weapon) unless it was within reach. As mentioned: he could have a hidden weapon, he could have serious communicable diseases, I could be accused of trying to "finish him off". Like Drago said, "If he dies, he dies." He chose that route when he decided to be a criminal, so he takes the consequences.

Also, I have NO authority to restrain or detain him should he attempt to leave. A CWP doesn't empower me with police powers AT ALL.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Nope. I've already caused grievous harm to the scumbag. I'm not going to take a chance that my aid would just make things worse and give just a little more ammunition for a lawsuit. He made his choice, he can suffer the consequences. Because of the legal, financial and emotional implications, I am also suffering the consequences of his actions. I'm not going to make it any worse. If he bleeds out before help gets there, tough. He just picked on the wrong person.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Consider that you have just done humanity a favor.........if you render aid and save his life, you just might be ending some one else's down the line.............

The dirtbag made his call, let him live or die with it!

Oh yeah, I WOULD like his name and address should he survive so I could sue the SOB for the cost of the ammo I had to use!

·
Banned
1,098 Posts
Assume you're in public, you shoot, the guy goes down, you move forward to render aid (of course you'll maintain control of your weapon) and just as you reach the guy he makes a threatening move that only you see. You're forced to fire in self defence and a half a dozen witnesses tell the cops that after you dropped the guy you walked up to him an deliberately finished him off.

I can just hear the cell door slamming

·
Registered
4,203 Posts
No, I would not. I assume he just tried to kill me, and would still keep trying, even if wounded. If there is a gun nearby, I would kick it out of the way, give the BG a towel to staunch the bleeding and otherwise not disturb a crime seen.

As cold as it seems, (s)he came to attack you! Give very minimal help, if safe, and call the paramedics and police.

·
Registered
4,254 Posts
I've thought about this before and have decided that, no, I will not render aide.

First, I was just forced to shoot the man (or woman) because he or she was trying to kill me. That right there makes me hesitant to care about his or her well being.

Second, there is always the chance that he or she is either playing possum or dazed and the moment I start "rendering aide" they come out of it. Others have already mentioned the idea of a second weapon that was hidden. They could also be hopped up on drugs that make them more aggressive and/or stronger than usual.

Third, you said that you would restrain them and wear rubber gloves. So, not only do I have to carry a gun, a knife, spare mags and a back up gun or knife. Now, I have to carry rubber gloves, zip ties, hand cuffs (or some other restraint), basic medical first aide kit,.......... where does it end?

Fourth, I am not a paramedic.

Fifth, after a shooting I'm almost sure experience an adrenaline dump and other physical effects. I will be shaking, scared, and generally not in any condition to be assessing the physical well being of anyone.

Sixth, this falls under "not my job" category.

Also, you mentioned wearing rubber gloves. But what if you need to give mouth-to-mouth and there is blood in the way, are you also going to start carrying a mouth guard?

What if you are injured yourself and in too much shock to know it? Adrenaline can keep you from feeling gun shot wounds, even breaks and stabs. You need to get away to safety and start evaluating yourself before you take time to worry about someone else, particularly the person who put you in that situation to begin with.

Lastly, until the police arrive and he is loaded into an ambulance you have no assurance that the situation is truly over. His buddies could be around the corner and on their way. A civilian passery-by may misunderstand the situation and get involved. There are just WAAAAYYYY too many variables.

The best and most important thing is to get away to safety.

Get away to safety.

Let me say that again: GET AWAY TO SAFETY.

Call the police and keep your mouth shut until your lawyer arrives.

·
Premium Member
24,508 Posts
I'd render aid by calling 911 and requesting an ambulance. I will not approach the BG or touch him in any way.

1 - 20 of 117 Posts