Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier this year when the NRA came under internal fire and still is, I vowed I would not renew my NRA membership as long as Wayne LaPierre was still associated with the NRA. He and many internal NRA staff and board members must step down so the NRA can attempt to heal itself and proceed with the business at hand, supporting and saving the 2nd Amendment.

Today I renewed my membership. The NRA isn't necessarily Wayne LaPierre but it is the 5 million plus members. I think the NRA has lost much of it's clout but hopefully it can recover.

I am also a member of The Second Amendment Foundation and Gun Owners of America. Both organizations are doing great work to support the 2nd Amendment and Amercia's gun owners.

·
Super Moderator
19,247 Posts
I believe that the NRA is ripe for some house cleaning and internal reforms, but I'm not ready to disavow them. I've got a high-level membership resulting from decades of support. The inroads they've made with legislators at State and Federal levels are substantial, and I think it would be counterproductive to ignore those accomplishments wholesale. Meanwhile, I've upped my support for the 2nd-tier orgs like GOA and SAF in lieu of contributing further to NRA for now.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
For what it is worth, I think you made a wise choice. While I believe the NRA needs to re-dedicate themselves to the mission, they are still the pro gun org with the biggest name recognition. As you' noted, several of the other pro gun orgs have been doing excellent and effective work and also need and deserve our support. This war needs to be fought on all fronts and there is plenty of work for everyne.

·
Registered
8,452 Posts
I believe that the NRA is ripe for some house cleaning and internal reforms, but I'm not ready to disavow them. I've got a high-level membership resulting from decades of support. The inroads they've made with legislators at State and Federal levels are substantial, and I think it would be counterproductive to ignore those accomplishments wholesale. Meanwhile, I've upped my support for the 2nd-tier orgs like GOA and SAF in lieu of contributing further to NRA for now.
I've done the same thing.

·
Premium Member
3,383 Posts
I don’t like some of the stuff they do but it is important to support them.
They still have a lot of lobby clout.
I will renew when my deal is up
Also support other organizations such as GOA and Texas Rifle

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
I am a Life Member but I do not donate to them, each time I get a request I cite WLP as the reason I have stopped giving them money.

·
Registered
304 Posts
The NRA's faults are on public display and should not be ignored, but it's still the most powerful and the only gun rights group recognized by anyone outside of 'gun culture.'
Help change the organization from within using your vote as a member. Those fighting us and the NRA have no mercy and will not wait until you and I agree with the NRA on every detail before they push more unconstitutional laws on us.

·
Super Moderator
16,177 Posts
Well rachel maddow of BSNBC is absolutely thrilled over the problems within the NRA; personally I give her opinion less credence than that of a 5 year old.

Rachel Maddow says 'implosion' of NRA would be 'biggest' political story if not for impeachment

MSNBC host Rachel Maddow claimed Tuesday night that the "implosion" of the National Rifle Association (NRA) would be the biggest political news story if it weren't for the impeachment of President Trump.

Maddow began by touting the NRA's "legendary" power and major influence over politicians -- and then highlighted the rather turbulent year for the prominent guns rights organization. This included the revelation of Russia agent Maria Butina's attempt to infiltrate the group during the 2016 election and reports of the nonprofit's suspicious spending, which sparked an avalanche of lawsuits and investigations.

"Over the last few months, over the course of this year, we have watched this conservative political behemoth with really no equal in conservative politics, we have watched it collapse at breathtaking speed," Maddow told her viewers.
https://www.foxnews.com/media/msnbc-rachel-maddow-nra-biggest-political-news-story

Reactions: ETXhiker

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
^^^ Well said, and I'm pretty much the same

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
I'm not ready to disavow the NRA, yet. I still wear a couple of their hats. I'm just a regular member, but have a couple years left of membership before I need to decide whether to give more (free gun show entry with each NRA renewal, and a quick way to bypass the 30 min entry line too, so I racked up a few years of membership).

If I had to decide today whether to renew the answer would be no. I see no reason to line WLP's pocket any more than it has been. He made his bed, as did the Board. If the NRA collapses, it's not the end of the world, something else will rise from the ashes and hopefully not repeat the same greed-driven mistakes of the past. Look at what has happened in VA with the 2A sanctuaries without NRA involvement. If the Board doesn't clean house soon, it may be better in the long run if the NRA just outright failed and went away rather than being a long term steaming cesspool that continues to drain resources from the gun community.

·
Premium Member
693 Posts
I also continue to support the NRA for the good work that they have done. I believe that WLP should step down, on his own accord. The NRA is it's 5 million strong members.

·
Registered
8,141 Posts
I also continue to support the NRA for the good work that they have done. I believe that WLP should step down, on his own accord. The NRA is it's 5 million strong members.
I would prefer WLP be forced out. It would show me that the organization has the grit to think for itself and do what needs to be done. If he is allowed to leave with honor to an incredibly fat retirement program, I will have no confidence that his replacement will be any better.

But that is not the biggest thing I would like to see the NRA do. The bigger thing is to start cooperating fully with other gun rights groups, especially state groups. We get almost no cooperation with them on the VCDL, whereas we are tight with the GOA and other groups. The NRA will swoop in and take credit for what we have done in articles in their magazines, without mentioning us at all. They will ask us for volunteers for some of their efforts, which we sometimes give them, but it is always a one-way street. Gun rights groups could get more accomplished working as a team!

Also, their state-affiliated organization, the VSSA, doesn't do anything for the cause I can tell. Their web page right now is crowing about all the sanctuary counties, which they had little or nothing to do with. In fact, their information about it looks like it was cut and pasted off the VCDL site.

·
Premium Member
2,229 Posts
I don't trust the NRA with my money or with 2A protections. From what I understand, they didn't do enough to stop the 1986 FOPA Hughes Amendment and now the bump stock ban. They're not the only organization or person or politician that has disappointed me.

·
Premium Member
4,257 Posts
I paid off my Easy Pay Life membership yesterday. That's the end, until WLP is gone and the NRA gets back on track.

Reactions: Havok

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Also, their state-affiliated organization, the VSSA, doesn't do anything for the cause I can tell. Their web page right now is crowing about all the sanctuary counties, which they had little or nothing to do with. In fact, their information about it looks like it was cut and pasted off the VCDL site.
The VSSA blog and info of VA sanctuaries shows just how out of touch the NRA is.

What's going on in VA is a national level story, and the NRA and VSSA seem to take credit for it by not giving, credit zero mention at all, where it is due: the VCDL.

They also don't say "here's how you can help by getting involved..."

They also don't mention all those resolutions were based on recommended wording proposed and distro'd by VCDL.

They also don't have current info on upcoming county meetings. Those meetings have been packed. But how did people know to go? Must have been magic (or the VCDL).

And so on.

The NRA is a huge disappointment in this matter. They could be energizing at the national level...but nope, not really. It's not all about them, so not a good fundraising issue, which seems to be their only purpose.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Im sure Wayne appreciates you helping pay for his new suit.

Reactions: Sister

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
Didn't renew myself..... they spend more money on sending me crap ... then the renewal costs... by far. They sure waste a lot of money with that stuff.

Guns of America, is a "farse" ..... they don't do squat, they report they do things..... that actually others are doing.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I'm a life member (Benefactor level) of the NRA, but recently I've joined and am pouring my support into the VCDL. Of course, this is more a self-preservation move, seeing as how I live in Virginia (yes, I know the NRA is headquartered here, but they've been all but absent in Virginia's recent 2A issues).

·
Registered
3,283 Posts
I gave up my NRA membership about a dozen years back.

As a Nam era vet, I can't be in the same club with Ted Nugent.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I remain a member partly because I want to be able to vote in the board elections. We need a lot more members to vote for reform-minded board candidates in order to affect the kind of change the organization needs.

Also, I want to help keep republicans in the power. The NRA’s $50 million+ in political donations in 2016 is largely responsible for keeping the Senate republican, which is having a big effect on federal courts. It’s even possible the 9th Circuit could be under conservative control in the next few years. Right now, one in four circuit court judges is a Trump appointee and if we lose the Senate the liberals will swing the judicial momentum the other way.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2019/12/29/opinion/trump-reshapes-judiciary-his-image/

1 - 20 of 21 Posts