Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I try to rent something different every time I hit the range so I can try out different calibers. This afternoon I took my younger brother to the range to shoot my XD9 and my run some rounds through my wife's Kahr MK9. I figured I'd rent a .45 1911 since I had never fired one before I I wanted to get a feel for what all the fuss was about. So, the range had a Para-Ordinance 1911 with the LDA trigger. I grabbed that and a box of ammo to toss through it.

After putting about 150 rounds through my XD and a 100 or so through my wife's MK, we loaded up the Para and fired away.....

Where's all the recoil I've heard about??? I've heard time and again how the .45 acp hits so much harder than the 9mm that I was expecting something silly! I was surprised at how tame the recoil felt. The ammo was only target type and I didn't even bother to look at the bullet size or anything, but the recoil was nothing like i was expecting. I do plan on picking up a .45 sometime this year or early next depending on how the $$$ situation falls and that's one of the reasons I try as many calibers as I can. I want to see where my comfortability level is reached! :image035:

I can see why everyone who shoots the .45 likes it so much though. I had a ton of fun throwing lead downrange with that Para. It felt like a really nice round and I was very comfortable with it. I shall have some firearm in the neqar future with a .45 size hole in the barrel!!!

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Ahhh - a new convert LOL!

True enough - the venerable .45acp really is not a rattlesnake at all. Start saving them pennies dude - the call has arrived :wink:

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
ok, good.....now how about the Para LDA ???

·
Registered
5,142 Posts
There's just something about a .45

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
I've never under stood people say the 45 recoil's to much Either .. It is a tame recoiling round a nice slow pressure curve makes it fun to shoot

·
Super Moderator
19,005 Posts
I think lots of stories from folks who wanted to intimidate others w/ the .45 power is to blame. A few gun store folks told my girlfriend a .45 would be too much gun for her. Yeah, right.
JMB sure got the ergonomics perfect on the 1911 . Feels like it was made just for me.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My wife shot everything from .380 up through 44mag when looking for a CCW (although the magnum was more for fun). She ended up preferring the 45 to everything else. The .380 was the worst in her opinion. She ended up with the Para Ordnance CCW with the LDA trigger.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I tell ya....the first time I squeezed the trigger on a 1911 of the .45 caliber type. I just can't explain the feeling of history, power and total protection that came over me. Secondly, when I went to qualify for my CCW, you had guys and gals with all kinds of weapons out there shooting, but I was the only one with a 1911. My weapon fired consistently. I tell in my opinion you can't beat a basic high quality 45. Hey mom is the apple pie ready yet......All American Baby....

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
I have not handled a 1911 since I got out of the Army over 30 years ago, but this year I am going to get one. Last Saturday I was at a little gunshow - got kicked out of the usual place and was at a NG Armory (small one at that). I was looking to trade a S&W 429 and so I stopped at this one table to try a couple of things. Nothing struck me, but as I was talking to the fellow there he said, "I'll let you handle anything you want, you paid for that when you came through the door." So I took him up on it. He had a SA Micro that I looked over and then I asked to see the 1911 A1 Mil Spec. It was like coming home. My exact words were: "Now that feels familiar." It just felt like it belonged. Now I have to come up with the funds to make the purchase. I can hardly wait!

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
dr_cmg said:
I have not handled a 1911 since I got out of the Army over 30 years ago, but this year I am going to get one. Last Saturday I was at a little gunshow - got kicked out of the usual place and was at a NG Armory (small one at that). I was looking to trade a S&W 429 and so I stopped at this one table to try a couple of things. Nothing struck me, but as I was talking to the fellow there he said, "I'll let you handle anything you want, you paid for that when you came through the door." So I took him up on it. He had a SA Micro that I looked over and then I asked to see the 1911 A1 Mil Spec. It was like coming home. My exact words were: "Now that feels familiar." It just felt like it belonged. Now I have to come up with the funds to make the purchase. I can hardly wait!
Glad ya found one you liked .. Coming up with funds is always the problem

When i win the lotto it wont be a problem :rant:

·
Premium Member
20,045 Posts
I have never understood the complaints of .45acp recoil. To me it feels different, sorta muted. I always thought of it like boats bumping the dock while pulling into a slip. A little boat has to slam into it going pretty fast to do much damage to the dock. Ever seen a yacht hit a dock, even slowly? :wink:

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
Bumper said:
A little boat has to slam into it going pretty fast to do much damage to the dock. Ever seen a yacht hit a dock, even slowly? :wink:
Can't say as i have i would imagine it does a lot of damage?

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
:wave: :image035: I got tired of waiting for a report on the para so I went out and bought one ! :image035:

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
artz said:
:wave: :image035: I got tired of waiting for a report on the para so I went out and bought one ! :image035:
I was working at the FD the last couple days so I was slow to report... :tumbleweed:

I think you will find the Para LDA to be a damn fine piece of handgun. I put 50 rounds down it and had 0 problems with it. Even being a rental, it fired every time without a hiccup. The gun felt very balanced in my hands. In order to drop the slide from stop, I ahd to reach it with my off hand. It was a little different for me since I have been firing my XD and MK which I can easily slide drop with my primary thumb. The Para is quite a bit bigger than both but I was easily situated with it within 2 mags. Accuracy was great. I had point fire groups measuring 2-3" at 10 yards. My brother, who had never shot a handgun before, put 2 rounds site fire through the X at 10 yards with that Para (Kid was a damn fine shot for his first time!). Recoil I felt was minimal. Easily controlled and very quick to get back on target. The trigger was a tad long compared to what I was used to, but felt fine after a couple of mags. In all, a very nice piece.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I don't want to start something here, really I don't, but next time shoot a 1911 with a 1911 trigger. I haven't ever SHOT the LDA but handled and dryfired a handful. It just ain't the same for me. The 1911 is my favorite style ever, but to me (and others I think) it really ain't a 1911. Don't start a war here, I just want him to really shoot a 1911.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
hawkeye680 said:
Don't start a war here, I just want him to really shoot a 1911.
I have shot a 1911A...several times.
I just really like the para 12.45 LDA .... better.
I also own sorta-kinda 1911A S/A... its a Colt Mustang. Which is about as sweet as it gets for a smaller pistol. :biggrin2:

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Personally, I've always felt the .45 had more torque than actual recoil. The 9mm kicks up and a little back, the .45 "shoves" back and twists.

BTW Bumper, if we ever get the chance to go fishing ... I'M DRIVING THE BOAT! :rofl:
Jack

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Bluelion

Actually the Para, is a “All Canadian gun” as it is made in Ontario. I just was handling one last week, very nice, but I am not sure if I like the LDA trigger, just felt weird to me, but haven’t had a chance to shoot one yet. Plus i don't like not being able to cock the gun with my thumb. I am a DA guy through and through. Although I have a soft spot for the Hi-power, which I used in the Army.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Bud White said:
I've never under stood people say the 45 recoil's to much Either .. It is a tame recoiling round a nice slow pressure curve makes it fun to shoot
+1

I used to own nothing but 9MM untill one day a buddy insisted I try his Ruger .45. It was a horrible feeling hunk of ugly metal, but I walked away intrigued.
So I head over to the range with my regular shooting buddy and we rented a Kimber Ultra Compact.
I've not been right since and that was like 3 yrs. ago.
Since then I own and carry nothing but 1911s a Sig GSR, SA LCC and a Colt Defender. My buddy bught a Kimber Target II and dumped his Sig 228 into the furthest back area of his safe.

.45 is easy to shoot, soft in the hand and doesn't have the sharp recoil impulse of a 9MM.
When ever I get the chance I try to do the favor of converting some other clueless 9MM victim. :)

- Janq

1 - 19 of 19 Posts